It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
(female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User
HBP in only one arm

Question please.

When I go to my GP's office (experienced doctors), they take my BP in my left arm and it is always in good limits. 1123/74 or so. Usually diastolic under 80 and systolic below 135. I obviously take tablets to get those numbers. The potassium tablet I take has brought down my Diastolic by 5pts,but pushed up my systolic by 5.

When you take my BP in my right arm it can be 135/85 or even a bit higher sometimes. I just took my readings in both arms and in left arm was good and in right arm was 140/86 stage 1 hypertension. The paramedics and my GP tell me too take it in my left arm. My brother has heart problems and his cardio tells him to use the right arm. I am stumped. Can anyone tell me what they think,and if I only take my left arm, am I just fooling myself?

Thank you

Last edited by Teacupforme; 07-27-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
Re: HBP in only one arm

different people have different situations, you gotta remember that. Because if someone has to do X for their Y problem, that doesnt mean everyone else should.

Having HBP in one arm means you have poor circulation if I can recall correctly. Since its not really that high, you could eat better and exercise more and bring it down OR you can take a low dose med where you wont even notice any side effects

Usually people in the pre-hypertension or stage 1 in arm (for your example) will develop HBP and will continue to get higher. UNLESS drastic life changes are made.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I'm pretty sure that most home machines are not manufactured to "fit" the right arm. So, be sure you twist the cuff around on your arm so the cord is at your elbow. See if that gives you a different number?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat View Post
I'm pretty sure that most home machines are not manufactured to "fit" the right arm. So, be sure you twist the cuff around on your arm so the cord is at your elbow. See if that gives you a different number?
it fits for average people. body builders and overweight people need a larger cuff to fit their arm.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Teacup,

I wouldn't worry too much. As you know BP can be extremely variable. Arm to arm, day to day, moment to moment! It's not unusual to get somewhat uneven BP readings in different arms.

If it's a difference of less than 10 mm hg for both diastolic and systolic, docs usually do not worry.

But, if the difference is CONSISTENTLY (emphasis on the word "consistently") more than 20mm hg for your systolic and more than 10 mm hg for your diastolic then that may indicate some underlying problem — such as narrowing of the main arteries to that arm.

When there are small differences, doctors will usually use the arm with the higher # and take that as your "true" BP.

As to the right arm/left arm puzzlement, a lot of doctors will take BP from the right arm if your a rightie, and the left arm if you're a leftie, since your dominant arm usually (not always) gives the higher reading.

Ain't all this fun?

zuzu xx

Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
(female)

Thank you for replies. Can I ask why you have to take BP only after sitting still for a few minutes? Doesn't that give a false impression of what your BP is normaly like? MY BP is usually normal after I sit completely quiet for a few minutes. But I'm hardly ever sitting around quiet like that. I'm always rushing about. When I lay down my BP is like 110/62 and even lower.

When I am walking around I am usually stage 1 hypertension. I just don't understand how sitting quietly for 5 minutes gives a proper indictaion if someones BP is high. I would say I have stage 1 most of the time and when I sit very quiet my BP is normal. So what does that mean?

Thank you

Last edited by Teacupforme; 07-28-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I used to think the same way. But, really... our blood pressure DOES tend to be higher when we are up and about. Just check out "normal" readings for stress tests. I think as high as 214 systolic is considered "normal" during a stress test. Besides, the 140/90 range is based on testing done on *resting* patients, not patients that are up and about.

Until testing is done to determine normal blood pressure value in walking patients, I figure it's pretty pointless to know what our blood pressure is when we are moving about The closet thing I can find to those values is the numbers considered "normal" during a stress test.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacupforme View Post
... Can I ask why you have to take BP only after sitting still for a few minutes? Doesn't that give a false impression of what your BP is normaly like? ...
I've taken my blood pressure 27,871 times since 1998, or about seven times per day. I had chronically high blood pressure. From 1998 through 2005, my average blood pressure was 146/92 based on 17,358 readings. If I rested five minutes before each reading that would have added 86,790 minutes (17,358 readings X 5 minutes); or a total of 1,446 hours to my blood pressure efforts. Finally, during the years of 2006 through today, my blood pressure slowly came down to healthy levels, and I experienced an average blood pressure of 122/72 for the entire year 2008, based on 2543 readings; and 126/73 so far for 2009 based on 1981 readings.

My reason for taking my blood pressure that often, was because it was chronically high for years. I also suffer from heart failure, so I kept trying different things in order to get it down to healthy levels. I could not afford the time to sit for five minutes prior to each blood pressure reading. I have found that the key to surviving heart failure (or any other major disease), with a good quality of life, is through a healthy blood pressure.

I keep monitoring my blood pressure multiple times per day because it is so easy to fall off the wagon, and experience higher blood pressure, so I check it often to make sure that I am behaving myself.

So far for July, 2009, after behaving myself better, my average blood pressure has dropped to 120/71, based on 174 readings, which is below the average for all of 2009 of 126/73.

For those who have reasonably healthy blood pressure levels, and who aren't faced with life threatening illnesses, resting five minutes prior to taking might be acceptable. It all depends upon what you want to learn about your own blood pressure, and your own personal blood pressure goals.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
(female)

Brendap HB User

You might want to check out Subclavian Steal Syndrome. This is what I have, and they stumbled on it originally by the difference in the blood pressure in both arms. My right arm has the Subclavian Steal and is 20mm hg lower systolic and 10 mm hg lower diastolic than my left arm. They confirmed this with a doppler, MRA, and heart cath. They have monitored it for 15 years, and I am now showing 75% blocked. They typlically don't move to stint if you are asymptomatic, which I still am.

Just a thought, good luck.
Brenda

Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
(female)

Thank you for replies. I have also recently read that in 2012 Novartis will be releasing a brand new BP med that is said to revolutionise the BP med industry. Apparently it works on Nitric Oxide and gets to the source of the problem. From what I read it will be so potent that a good lot of people will only require a single med,especially if they are on multiple meds.

Last edited by Teacupforme; 07-29-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Closed Thread