It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

ventcrew HB User
Question Does having the flu cause your blood pressure to be low????

Hello everyone,

I am a 52 yr. old over weight female. I have been on lisinopril for high blood pressure and toprol for palpitations for about 5 months. Everything has been going great. Both meds. are working. Question is this: I got sick this past monday went to the doc today found out i have the flu. I have a fever about 101 headache, aches chills, wheezing and not feeling well. Doc said lungs are clear. Anyway, I take my blood pressure daily and as soon as I got sick I noticed that it has been on the low side all the time. Sometimes 92/59 others 106/66 (not bad). Does being sick cause your blood pressure to drop. I have no symptoms of low blood pressure. Other than the flu I feel fine. It is just weird. It has not gone over 110/70 since i have been sick and usually alot lower.

Thanks
ventcrew

Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Does having the flu cause your blood pressure to be low????

Hi ventcrew,

I'm so sorry you feel so lousy. Given that you just saw your doctor and he checked you out, I would not be concerned about your pressure being on the low side while you are healing.

Are you by any chance taking any antihistamines for symptoms? Especially those that contain Diphenhydramine...some of them can cause low BP temporarily.

zuzu xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
(female)

ventcrew HB User
Re: Does having the flu cause your blood pressure to be low????

zuzu8
thank you for responding. Yes i have taken dihenhydramine. Also i talked to my cousin who is a nurse and she said i am dehydrated. I am not vomiting or trouble with bowels, just a fever. She said that is enough. I am not eating or drinking as i normally do and the fever alone dehydrates you. Sure enough i drank some gatorade and pushed the fluids and it is better.

Thanks again
Karen

Closed Thread