It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

mcnana HB User
withdrawal from metoprolol

I have a question for anyone that has ever tapered off of metoprolol or any other beta blocker.How long does the withdrawal symptoms last? And has anyone used natural remedies for them like adding magnesium to combat the palpitations? I tried cutting back my 25 mg of metoprolol tartrate twice a day to just 12 mg of it twice a day but had such bad palpitations that I think I need a slower withdrawal from it.

I have been on this now for over 16 months and it is the worse thing ever--my BP is now in the normal range and I have the doctors ok to taper off but he suggested doing the half pills right away and the withdrawal is to much as the palpitations,headache and sharp spikes of my BP when doing NOTHING AT ALL has lead to severe anxiety--please HELP!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
Re: withdrawal from metoprolol

Mcnana - Unless you have heart diesease, the tapering off is a normal reaction and shouldn't worry you. Beta blockers are both anti-anxiety and anti-palpitations. You were used to almost not hearing your heartbeat at all for over a year, now every heartbeat seems magnified. If you start another blood pressure medication at the same time, this sometimes helps with the transition. If you take 1/2 the dosage daily for the next week, the following week you can take it only once in the morning for another week. That's what I did when I stopped taking Toprol a few years back. Be careful with the magnesium or potassium supplements. Both of these can effect the heart rate rhythm. A supplement which may help is OMEGA-3 fish oil (at a higher dose for now) and Chamomile tea and honey for a calming effect.

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-28-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
(male)

dennis924 HB User
Re: withdrawal from metoprolol

i came lopressor for 5 day without a problem but day 6 my bp was up down up down but only went as high at 130/75 and my pulse was up down up down only hit 120 and as low as 57 am on 25mg 2 times a day so when this happen on day 6 i went back on the lopressor but cut the pill so now taking 12.5 mg 2 times a day then will cut that down to 1 time a day then i'll stop........btw my doctor is not much help he told my to just stop taking it...worked great for 5 days

Closed Thread