It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
concerned why can't I get diastolic reading down?

I have been on 12.5 HCTZ for about a week now. By top number has come down quite a bit, now ranging from 145 down to as low 127. Average is about 134.

It is that bottom number though, Rarely will it come down below 90. Today after sitting for 5 minutes and took three readings. First was 140/96, Then 139/89, then 133/92.

Why won't this bottom number go down below 90? Is there an underlying condition that is making it stay above 90?

The only time I get a low 80's reading is about a half hour after I get up.

Isn't your pressure in the 90's all the time real bad????

Can you take meds just to get that bottom number down? Isn't the bottom number more dangerous?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
(female)

Re: concerned why can't I get diastolic reading down?

anyone??? I know there are very knowledgable people here

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi - It would be a good idea to call your doctor's nurse and have her ask him whether you should be prescribed another type of blood pressure pill to be taken along with the HCTZ, telling him that your diastolic reading remains at 90.
I believe that the next step is to add another drug to the diuretic, which would lower your diastolic reading. I have had hypertension for years and also started out with HCTZ and then was prescribed enalapril. At the present time I am taking several drugs and have just been given Tekturna to try to get my systolic pressure within range. As you know, everyone is different and will respond to different kinds of blood presssure medications. Sometimes it takes some time to get the right combination. Hope this helps some.
Good luck! Mabent

Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcindy88 View Post
... Average is about 134.

It is that bottom number though, ... Isn't your pressure in the 90's all the time real bad????

Can you take meds just to get that bottom number down? Isn't the bottom number more dangerous?
I feel that the bottom number is the most important number, since it reflects the pressure and stress on your coronary system, glands and organs ALL the time. It tells me that your body is over-producing hormones and cytokines, causing an imbalanced and unhealthy metabolism. If you also have some form of Immune Dysfunction, like me, there are all kinds of irritants, chemicals, pollens, pollutants, etc., that also effect metabolism and blood pressure.

To me, an effective method to produce a healthier metabolism and a healthier blood pressure and a healthier body is mostly through a balance, low calorie, high fiber, frequent eating diet, and plenty of daily exercise. Diet and Exercise are the two most effective medications, but, sadly, are very seldom introduced in our lifestyles.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-09-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
(female)

longsunshine HB User

I asked my doctors the same question, because I had high diastolic pressure also. There are no drugs that specifically target your diastolic. You may need a higher dose of your current med, or another drug added...OR just more exercise and diligence with your diet. You're totally right, having a diastolic higher than 90 is not good for your system- but don't get too anxious worrying that you're in immediate danger, because you're not and anxiety just makes BP worse. Talk to your doc about your meds, be careful w/your diet, and exercise. Exercise worked wonders for me!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
(female)

longsunshine HB User

Oops- just noticed you are already doing the DASH diet. Good for you!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
(female)

Yes, I am trying to stay on foods on the DASH diet. I have also taken some weight off as well. SOmetimes my numbers are below that 90, but not often.

I have a BP recheck on Friday, and I am going to bring my own montior in. I will say that my numbers(esp my systolic) have come down(Systolic averagein in the 160's/150's down to the 130's/140's.

Not good enough for me though.

Thanks for the help. We will see what the doc says on Friday.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
(female)

Sally A HB User

The bottom number has been stubborn for me also. After a month on my med. it seems to be better more than it used to. Good to ask your doctor for sure.

I do know that sometimes BP is hard to deal with. I hope you have better luck with the bottom number very soon!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
(female)

monica007 HB User

know this is a very old post and maybe you are not on here anymore but i'm wpondering if you found anything to get that bottom number down?
I'm going through the same thing right now too.
I take 7.5 mgs of amlodipine and .5 of a beta blocker for anxiety stuff.
My bottom number is constantly at 90/91 and early morning it is about 80 then after that forget it
I'm waiting to talk to my Dr. about this and i'm sure she will increase the amlodipine which worries me cause it is notorious for swelling and weight gain as it is...so hoping to hear if you found a combo or a new pill that worked for you! I may go back to hctz instead of this swelling pill..

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcindy88 View Post
Yes, I am trying to stay on foods on the DASH diet. I have also taken some weight off as well. SOmetimes my numbers are below that 90, but not often.

I have a BP recheck on Friday, and I am going to bring my own montior in. I will say that my numbers(esp my systolic) have come down(Systolic averagein in the 160's/150's down to the 130's/140's.

Not good enough for me though.

Thanks for the help. We will see what the doc says on Friday.

Closed Thread