It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
(male)

niceguy253 HB User
Can I stop taking lisinopril?

Hello everyone,

I have been taking lisinopril for about 4 years now. At first I started to take 5 mg a day for the first several years. However, the last year or so I began to take 5 mg every other day.

Is there a correct way for me to stop taking this medication??? I talked to my doctor awhile back and he said with diet and exercise, along with lower sodium intake, I might be able to stop. I was hoping if there are people here who have been taking this medication for several years that stopped it. How did you do it?? and was there any side effects when you stopped?? Any input would be grateful. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by niceguy253; 11-19-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
(female)

longsunshine HB User
Re: Can I stop taking lisinopril?

How great that you have an optimistic and supportive doctor. I wish my doc were like that.
Iíve only been on lisinopril for six months and have not stopped yet, but thought my situation would be relevant anyway. My doc started me on 5mg back in May. At the same time, I started an exercise and diet program, and also learned some relaxation/breathing techniques. Within two months I was able to cut back on the dosage. I cut the pills in half, taking 2.5 daily (as opposed to taking 5 mg every other day, as you do- but basically we are on the same dosage). When I cut back, after 3-4 days my BP rose slightly. I spoke to a cardiac nurse and she said to give it a few weeks. Sure enough, a few weeks of continued diet and exercise later, BP went down again. I plan on stopping lisinopril entirely sometime soon, while being diligent about diet and exercise. 2.5/day is already a VERY low dose, so I am optimistic. From what I understand, lisinopril can be stopped without any major problems, as compared with other classes of BP drugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
(male)

niceguy253 HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion about my issue longsunshine. I do appreciate it. I hope that soon I will be able to stop but I'm just worried because I have been taking this medication for about 4 years now. It's a good thing that you are trying to stop early. I think that will be better. Good luck to you and stay healthy!

Oh by the way, you said that this can be stopped without any major problems, "is there any type of length of time or time limit" before you stop. I mean, if a person has taken this medicine for several years and they stop, will there be any type of complications from what you know? Thank you!

Last edited by niceguy253; 11-22-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

longsunshine HB User

I'm not knowledgeable about the time limit. Hopefully someone else here can answer. Best of luck!

Closed Thread