It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

Brendap HB User
Metoprolol Tartrate vs Toprol XL

Toprol XL is no longer available in generic form known as Metoprolol Succinate. As we know, Toprol XL is a once a day pill. Does anyone take Metoprolol Tartrate, the generic form of Lopressor - and a twice a day pill?

If so, does it work just as well as Toprol XL ? Just curious if I should ask my Dr. for a script for Met. Tartrate, but would like some feedback from anyone with an opinion on this.

Thanks for the imput.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
Re: Metoprolol Tartrate vs Toprol XL

Yes - Metoprolol is similar to Toprol XL, the difference is Metoprolol is taken twice daily. Toprol is an extended release formula which is supposed to last for 24 hours. Some find Metoprolol more effective than Toprol. For many it seems that Toprol seems to lose it's effectiveness before taking the next 24 hour dose. Many take Toprol twice a day for this reason. The advantage of Metoprolol (Lopressor) is that it works almost immediately when taken, and the positive effects are more predictable and reliable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
(male)

ofacto HB User

I am the opposite of your situation, I switched from Metoprolol tartrate to Toprol XL last month. When I was on Metroprolol it was usually twice a day, but I sometimes had to take it 3 times a day, depending on what I ate that day (some foods affected my heart rate). I switched to Toprol XL since I would only need to take it once a day.

For me, I don't think its as effective as generic Metoprolol. I find the effects wear off after to 12 hours or so, plus its much more expensive than generic Metoprolol tartrate. Also a couple hours after I take it (Toprol XL) I feel like a Zombie for about 30 mins, I think this is when the medication starts to kick in. For this reason I have to get up at 5 am to take the medication and then go back to bed so I can avoid the Zombie phase when I drive in the morning.

When I go back to the doctor next year, I am going to ask to switch back to generic Metropol Tartrate. For me it works much better and I don't mind taking it more than once a day.

You can also ask about switching to Atenolol, this is also 1 daily and available in a generic form.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
(female)

Brendap HB User

Thanks for the replies. I am going to ask my Dr. on the 18th if I can switch to Met. Tartrate. I don't mind the twice a day dose. It is generic so that is a plus -- also I am hearing that it is as good as, if not better than, Toprol XL. I will look into the Atenolol - I am unfamiliar with that, but I will do some research.

Again, thanks.
Brenda

Closed Thread