It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
(male)

sam061 HB User
Blood pressure spikes and Xanax

I was started on xanax right after it came on the market. I began with 1/2 mg
three times a day. I believe I was in my upper 30's at the time. Then I had a couple of bouts where I was taken to the ER. I also have atrial fib. I began having bp spikes and would get very weak. This is when they took me to 3mg per day.
Like when I first began taking it I felt fine.

I have had bp spikes off and on for awhile. BTW, I am now 66 years old. The doctor increased me to 1.5 three times a day or more if needed. He didn't tell me to but put it on my prescription bottle. I stuck with the 3mg. The stuff scares me to death. I will hold off and take a half one if my bp spikes. I can always tell by the warm light-headed feeling that happens.
The last two days it has happened once each day. Last night I was watching a intense movie and then suddenly felt it. My wife took my bp and it was 172/99. I took a half of xanax, laid down, and it came back down.

I now have an enlarged left ventricle. I exercise every other morning on the treadmill at 4mph for 30min. I want to stop these bp spikes. Do any of you think I should stay on the 3 mg per day, do what is on the prescription bottle, or take .5 before I know I am walking into something stressful.

I had an appointment last week, but the doctor had a new observant PA,
I didn't want to discuss this in front of her. Also he was in a hurry. I knew he was behind. But he a great doctor. Thanks for any advice. - Sam

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-02-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
(female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User
Re: Blood pressure spikes and Xanax

Sorry to hear about what is happening. It is well documented that people who take xanax and other benzo class drugs very often go through withdrawel & dependency. It could very well be that as your body has eliminated enough xanax, your BP goes up and you feel jittery as a result of your body needing more xanax. 3mg a day is a relatively hefty dose and the only way to cut back or stop taking it is very slowly, under close medical supervison. For example you would cut back to 2.5mg for 2-3 weeks and then down to 2 mg for2- 3 weeks and 1.5 mg and so forth. You may require additional BP medication to keep your BP under control so you dont spike while you are cutting down. My dad is 60 and was on heavy pain meds for variuos reasons including a morphine pump. His GP told him to stop his pain meds for a while. he called me and told me he was quite sick, with shivers,jitters ect. First thing I asked him was if he cut any meds out. he said he stopped his morphine pump. I asked him to check his BP (it was very high). I then told him to go to the emergency room and tell the docs what he had done. My dad also has both heart problems and other problems and should have done this under supervision. Anyways, it could just very well be the xanax that is both causing your spikes due to an increase in tolerance and also releiving them when you dose up. Take care.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-07-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam061 View Post
I was started on xanax right after it came on the market. I began with 1/2 mg
three times a day. I believe I was in my upper 30's at the time. Then I had a couple of bouts where I was taken to the ER. I also have atrial fib. I began having bp spikes and would get very weak. This is when they took me to 3mg per day.
Like when I first began taking it I felt fine.
What other meds are you taking for Atrial Fibrillation and High Blood Pressure?

Xanax is not a blood pressure medication. Although it does reduce blood pressure, it doesn't effectively block or inhibit the body chemicals (Hormones and Cytokines) that do damage to the heart, and all of the other organs, glands, nerve ending, muscles, bones, etc.

Quote:
The last two days it has happened once each day. Last night I was watching a intense movie and then suddenly felt it. My wife took my bp and it was 172/99. I took a half of xanax, laid down, and it came back down.
Although a blood pressure of 172/99 is certainly not healthy, the underlying cause of the high blood pressure, which is excess body chemicals, such as Hormones and Cytokines, are very unhealthy. That is why blood pressure medications, and Atrial Fibrillation medications, are made to suppress or inhibit these harmful, excess body chemicals.

There are Beta Blockers, and ACE Inhibitors and Calcium Channel Blockers, and Angiotensin II Blockers (ARBS), etc., all which block or inhibit the dangerous effects of the excessive body chemicals.

High Blood Pressure and Atrial Fibrillation will just continue to do damage to body organs, glands, etc, if not taking advantage of the great, protective and sometimes "healing" effects of these types of medications.

Quote:
I now have an enlarged left ventricle
Sorry to hear that. I've lived and fought against Heart Failure for over 22 years. It is not fun!

Quote:
I had an appointment last week, but the doctor had a new observant PA,
I didn't want to discuss this in front of her. Also he was in a hurry. I knew he was behind. But he a great doctor. Thanks for any advice. - Sam
You are lucky to have a great doctor to care for you, and one whom you trust. That bodes very well for your future battle against Heart Disease!

Take care....... and best of luck!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-07-2009 at 03:14 AM.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
(male)

sam061 HB User

I take rhytmol for the afib. I have been on it for 11 years. My present doctor told me three years ago he would not have used it, but never took me off of it.

I also have diabetes that was inherited from my grandmother. I am assuming this because I am not overweight.

One thing you mentioned was I have HF and both doctors have told me I don't.
But I did see on my doctors computer screen I had a decreased left ventricle.

I was told this 12 years ago and that it was mild and not to worry about it.

I am now 66. I notice I wear out faster than I use to and he tells me I am not
a kid anymore. See, the problem is panic attacks that began when I was in the military. They didn't even have a name for it at the time. My dad died in front of me and I watched the doctor open him up and do heart massage.

MY primary increased my xanax from 1.5 mg/ day. It was 1.5mg 3-4 times daily. I didn't do it. This was about three years ago. I think I am going to have to now because my primary says this is what is causing the blood spikes.

Well I have a cardiologist's appt. in 1.5 hours so got to run. I am going to read what you sent me once more. What is COREG? I think you put something about that in your e-mail. I can't go back and read it without losing everything I wrote. You did give me some help when you told me you have had hf for 20 years. Gotta run - Sam

Old 12-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User

You have been taking Xanax for 20 years? Do I read this right?

Let me know, Xanax is a very dangerous drug that I had the misfortune to find out.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-24-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
(male)

sam061 HB User

Yes, It been probably over twenty years. The doctor told me it was a life threatening medication for me. I take 3 mg per day and more if i have a blood spike. I am in my late 60's now and there is not way to get off of it.

My mother was just on .25 and the died of a stroke after being taken off of it.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
(male)

sam061 HB User

Yes, I have been on xanax for over 20 years. I had a spike yesterday (Saturday) while walking at the mall. I had to be wheeled to our car and my wife brought me home. I took an extra half xanax as my doctor had told me to do. I laid down and before the xanax could have gotten in my body my blood pressure had dropped down to 136/?.

I had a stress test two days ago. Was called yesterday and told my ventircles were not enlarged and equal in size. I was told everything looked good with an EF of 6.9.

This was on Wednesday. Friday night I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 4mph which I do every other day. Then we did quite a bit of walking at the mall. I began to feel weak. Then just kept getting worse. I thought maybe it was my blood sugar, but took some sugar pills and it was 228 when I got home. I am also diabetic.

My mother had axienty problems when she was young and I had been with her for 9 days. When the doctor put me on xanax years ago, I told him I didn't want to go on it. It was a new drug and I could not get addicted to it or even dependent. They just didn't know at the time.

I saw a psychiatrist to get off of it in my 40's and she told me to stay on it.
She said it would take two years and there are people that are alcoholic that live (even doctors she said). So I listened to her. Now I am having these bp spikes and they really wipe me out. My primary just told me to take an extra xanax when this occurred. This occurs several times a month. - Sam61

Closed Thread