It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
(male)

sherjatt HB User
blood pressure 140 over 80

my BP is at 140/80 on first check and then as i start to calm my self it downs to 120/80 to 128/70. do the pressure goes up because i get scared, nervous and fear of oh not its going to up again?
at doctors office i had it at 140/80 for 3 checks. I do regular exercise where i elevate my BPM to 150 for an hour or so. i dont smoke but occasional drinker.
should i be concerned and look for medication? i have been told i might have MVP but no medication was given just excercise which i do.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: blood pressure 140 over 80

You mustn't worry if you get a systolic (top #) of 140 when you are anxious or in a clinical setting like the doctor's office. It's very common and is called "white coat syndrome". (white coat as in doctor). It does not mean you have hypertension or need meds.

Do you own a blood pressure home monitor? If not, perhaps it would be a good idea for you to buy one and monitor your own BP at home. Just remember, blood pressure is supposed to fluctuate. The numbers at rest are the ones to pay attention to, but they fluctuate too. They are of concern only if elevated and sustained at a high level, not just on a particular day but most of the time.

Your BP came down later to 120/80 which is gorgeous and text book perfect.
So try to relax, continue exercising (one of THE best things one can do for cardiac health).
If you do buy a monitor, the OMRON digital arm-cuff automatic is a choice brand.
At this point though, I really don't think you need to worry.

zuzu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
(male)

sherjatt HB User

well i checked my BP again first thing in the morning at home with LIFE brand monitor and the top number wont come down from 140-145 but the bottom is in 70s and pulse is in 58-65 range. i did the check like 6 times and switched arms. i dont know whether the machine is not right or I am freaking out. i also tried to deep breathe to calm it down but it stayed there. how can bottom be so good and top not so good

Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sherjatt,

It sounds like you are working yourself into a bit of a tizzy which undoubtedly will affect your diastolic (the top #). The diastolic is the # that fluctuates the most during times of stress, fatigue, anxiety, or after a meal or exercise or a cigarette etc.

Here's a good rule of thumb when taking your BP: First, always take it in same arm for the first couple of weeks, or until you know what your average #s are.
Also in your case just take it twice a day, once in the AM then again in the PM and try to take it at approximately the same time each day. And try to avoid taking it within a half hour of food or exercise.

Make sure your back is supported, and your feet flat on the floor. Doctors have us sitting on those examining tables with our legs dangling, which is a no-no.
Take 1 measurement. Write it down.
Wait 2-3 minutes, then take 2nd measurement. Write it down. (You must give your arteries a chance to "come back" so the wait time is important.)
Then wait another 2-3 minutes and take 3rd measurement.
THEN throw out the first reading completely and average the 2nd and 3rd.

Good luck! Let us know how you are doing.

zuzu

Old 12-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
(male)

sherjatt HB User

Well, its not the DIA number, its SYS number that worries me. DIA is always 80 or less. well yestereday i took a reading and it was 127/73 and i was happy so today Sunday, i had a heavy drinking last night. ( let me say again i do lots of excercise and on my way to losing weight. 5'11 3/4" 190lbs. today i checked it it was 137/75 and stayed there 3 checks with interval of 5 mins. and after i read you msg with feet on the floor and i took it again this time it eas 145/88. so what number fluctuates most is it top (SYS) or bottom (DIA) this is driving me insane because now i feel even cramp or anything around my chest area i get worried that something is wrong. i never short breathe and when i excercise i can push my self to quiet intense workout where i am sweating like crazy. what is going on?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
(male)

sherjatt HB User

i am sorry i just took another reading and i closed my eyes and started praying and the reading came out 128/80 hmmm maybe god is trying to say something......

Old 12-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sherjatt,

Sorry, I made a typo... I did mean the systolic fluctuates the most under stress etc, not the diastolic.

Seems to me like your systolic is reflecting all your anxiety over this.

Try to get into a routine where you do not take your BP too often or too randomly. Twice a day, same time each day should be sufficient.
Maybe even give yourself a break for a few days.

The fact that lately your systolic has been a bit labile points in the direction of anxiety rather than true hypertension.
A doctor at this point would not put you on meds but tell you to continue your weight loss, diet, and exercise regimen and monitor BP for a few months..

zuzu

Closed Thread