It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

janet26 HB User
Weird version of orthostatic hypotension?

Actually, I don't think it's orthostatic hypotension at all, because I used to have it once in a while a few years ago and what is happening now is COMPLETELY different. I only saw ONE post on the whole internet that described what I have, and that person didn't get any response, so I'm trying my luck here...
For a few weeks when I stand up I get a feeling of strong pressure in my head (sometimes I'm close to fainting), 2 or 3 seconds after I stood up, it lasts for another 2 or 3 seconds and then all is back to normal. (ETA: The head pressure is not a headache, only the "hanging upside down for too long"-like feeling.) However, it NEVER happens when I stand up after I've been lying down (whether it's because I've been sleeping, or lying down for an hour or lying for a minute, and no matter how quickly or slowly I stand up - it simply never happens). But it ALWAYS happens when I stand up after I've been sitting. (Well, sometimes I can control it when I tighten my leg muscles when standing up, but I still feel for the 2 or 3 seconds that the pressure "wants" to appear, it's just not quite as strong. And when I stand up from lying down there's no sign of the pressure nor any other wrong sensation whatsoever.) And I mean always - whether I've been sitting down for 20 seconds or 2 minutes or 5 hours, and no matter how quickly or slowly I stand up, it will appear just the same. And it's even worse when I've been crouching, even for a few seconds, and then stand up or kneel. Yes, crouching. And it NEVER happens when I bend over. So all the advice for relieving orthostatic hypotension that says "crouch, don't bend over!" and "after lying down sit for a while and then stand up!" are total bull**** in my case, they're the total opposite of my symptoms. (And I know they do work for actual orthostatic hypotension, because I used to have it - but I only used to have it once in a few weeks, not 30 times a day, I had dizziness and black in front of my eyes instead of head pressure and it indeed only happened when I stood up really quickly and it didn't matter from what position I stood up.) It feels like it has nothing to do with the position of my head whatsoever, it's like it has everything to do with the position of my legs before standing up - mostly that if they've been straight, then nothing happens.
Oh, and nothing bad ever happens when I'm already standing, even when I stand for hours.
I've been under extreme chronic stress for the last two years (including family deaths (or near deaths), abuse situations and other serious issues) and I had virtually no emotional rest or relax. Could this weird symptom be stress induced? For example I read that stress can make blood circulation in legs go all wrong, could this be related?
Oh, and my blood pressure is usually normal and has the tenency of being too low, but once when I checked it right after standing up (the head pressure was already gone - it only lasts those 2-3 seconds) it was minimally too high.

Last edited by janet26; 12-25-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
(female)

elrav HB User
Re: Weird version of orthostatic hypotension?

I get this sensation always when I rise from a sitting position, but I also get it even worse when I'm lying down and then stand. I know for me it is definitely related to blood pressure. Do you hear the pulsatile tinnitus at all? In your case, it could definitely be stress that is affecting your blood pressure and that in turn is leading to the pressure sensations. Hope this helps....if you have any more questions, ask away.

Closed Thread