It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
(male)

dolby HB User
Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) over Lisinopril or Micardis for Hypertension?

My aunt has Hepatitis B and also high blood pressure. She takes Hepsera 10mg for her Hepatitis and Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) for her hypertension. She stopped taking HCTZ, however, about a month ago since both she and doctor agreed that her hypertension has stabilized.

Well, this weekend, she hit 200/110 twice and 180/105 another time. Her BP is usually normal but at times of stress, they often skyrocket. I wanted to take her to the ER but she said this happens rarely and is entirely episodic. Her BP is mostly 120/80 most of the time.

I put her on some HCTZ which had been left over and stabilized her. Has anyone taken HCTZ for hypertension? It seems to work by acting as a diuretic to get rid of excess salt. In fact, redressing hypertension seems to be its secondary (not primary) function.

In the past, I used to take Lisinopril 20mg and Micardis for my hypertension. Does anyone know why doctors would prescribe HCTZ over more widely-prescribed medications such as Micardis or Lisinopril? [Could that perhaps be related to her Hepatitis B?] What are the advantages of HCTZ over, say, Lisinopril?

Shouldn't someone who has episodic hypertension (as opposed to consistent hypertension) still be on medication? What treatment is available for someone whose BP skyrockets at moments of stress? Pharmacologically, that is. We all know that she has to learn to relax.

Last edited by dolby; 01-17-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
(female)

evelyn1 HB User
Re: Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) over Lisinopril or Micardis for Hypertension?

I would love to know the answers myself. I was on Benicar 20 mg and took HCTZ occasionally. Last year my BP became very labile, going as high as 210/110 (ending up in ER on Xmas Day) and then as low as 100/65. Now I take Benicar 20mg and HCTZ 12.5 mg every day, and it is mostly stable. But I have some side effects, and if Micradis or another drug would work better than the HCTZ,I would love to know about it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread