It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
(male)

ludykriz HB User
worried about my blood pressure..

hello. i am 27 year old male.. 5 11 170 lbs. i used to play soccer for many years but lately i have not been exercising. i think for about a year now if not more i have been averaging a blood pressure of 140/85.. sometimes i would wake up and it would be 130/75.. or so.. sometimes it would be 150/90 and i would measure it times after and it would go down. i had blood work done before and ecograph for my heart about a year ago and everything was normal. should I be worried with this blood pressure reading? what can i do to lower the blood pressure? any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-13-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: merging threads

Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: worried about my blood pressure..

The simplest answer is to exercise.

You're more likely to get additional help on the High Blood Pressure board, here ~

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Last edited by midwest1; 02-05-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
(male)

ludykriz HB User
worried about my blood pressure.. too high?

hello. i am 27 year old male.. 5 11 170 lbs. i used to play soccer for many years but lately i have not been exercising. i think for about a year now if not more i have been averaging a blood pressure of 140/85.. sometimes i would wake up and it would be 130/75.. or so.. sometimes it would be 150/90 and i would measure it times after and it would go down. i had blood work done before and ecograph for my heart about a year ago and everything was normal. should I be worried with this blood pressure reading? what can i do to lower the blood pressure? any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
(male)

TNF HB User
Re: worried about my blood pressure.. too high?

I've been lowering my blood pressure and it's been working, slowly.

For me, I get cardio everyday for about 15 to 25 minutes.
Eat healthier by eating fruits, vegetables and no red meats. I rarely eat baked chicken, but eat a lot of Salmon as it has Omega 3's.
Cut out the junk food like chips, sodas and even juices, for me. The only juice I drink is a glass of orange juice and that's in the morning.
Not eating T.V. Dinners or any other packaged frozen meals
Staying away from candy, cookies and other sweets.
No fast food.

I would try to get your BP down because 140/85 is a bit high. 140 is borderline on the systolic side and you're a little over the suggested norm on the diastolic side.

Try getting back up and exercising every now and then.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
(male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User

ludykriz,
I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 28 and currently take an ace inhibitor. My blood pressure was about where your readings are. I think it's better to try to lower your blood pressure through proper diet and exercise first and then use medications if you need them. Yoga and vitamin D supplements have been helpful for me. Eating a vegetarian diet also helped, but I couldn't stick with it. However, ultimately, I've had to use medication to manage my blood pressure. Part of the reason is because I drink a lot of beer still.

So good luck, but don't feel bad if you need to use medication. Chances are that many guys you know are doing the same thing. Also, for me, the ace inhibitors don't seem to cause any noticeable side effects.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
(female)

kmur HB User

Yes you need to be concerned about the long term damage to your circulation. Diet is the first thing to look at, salt intake. Your BMI is normal but not sure your body type. Exercise is a must. You need to see your doctor about this and check your blood pressure reading daily, then bring to the doctors visit. You are damaging your kidneys, heart etc. You are at risk for a stroke, heart attack. It may not be today, but over the years, the damage will be irreversible, so do something now about it. The Omega 3 are excellent prevention as stated. Work now to reverse this so you will live a long healthy life. Diet and exercise are the first things to work on, limit alcohol, and get good sleep. Reducing stress is key. It's all about just changing some things in your life to make a huge difference in the long run. Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
(female)

53red HB User

Mine used to average 145/85 when I was 40. I have a family history of high blood pressure, but I wanted to avoid blood pressure medication as long as I could. I cut out caffeine and as much salt as possible from my diet and it came down to 130/78. I later began drinking an archaea beverage daily and it now is routinely 118/68.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
(female)

thelmavr HB User

I have been suffering from high bloodpressure for 10 years. Mine average about 180/120!
Natural things you can do is to minimise your salt intake and I dont know from where you are but we in South Africa drink Rooibos tea and if you add a little bit of lemon juice to it, it will bring your bloodpressure down. Maybe normal tea will have the same effect with lemon juice. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
(female)

Jacquie23 HB User

I am struggling with awful circulations problems, and I cannot find a board about circulation. I get high blood pressure reading once in a wile, not often enough for the doctors to be concerned, and I get very dissy woozy, and almost EVERY night I wake up and my arms are numb. so this bad circulation disrupts my sleep.

I eat good, but I drink too much coffee, and I take to many medications for asthma. I feel helpless, sometimes…

Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
(female)

53red HB User

Wow Jacquie23, the first thing I'm wondering is has your doctor diagnosed the problem and also whether you have an exercise routine. I'm no doctor, but I do know that our bodies run on oxygen and we feel run down when we don't get enough of it - like when circulation isn't what it should be. Second question is how much coffee or other beverages containing caffeine do you drink? Too much caffeine can exacerbate poor circulation issues.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
(male)

ludykriz HB User

hi all. thank you for your feedback.. just wanted to follow up.. i am currently in bulgaria and for 10 days i been taking this product in pill form.. <edited>

instantly i saw results lowering by BP to 120/70 even at times 110/60...

recently i been under some stress and my BP went back up.. today is the first time i saw it above normal and i hope it doesnt continue beyond today..

so thanks all

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-13-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 03-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
(male)

ludykriz HB User

the link got edited out.. Scutellaria baicalensis

and btw.. i never felt like i have high blood pressure.. no pressure in back of head.. no numb fingertips...

Old 03-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

You're on the borderline of needing treatment..... if your diastolic number hits 90 or above, you might need to consider drug therapy.

Try not to become to obsessed, taking your BP every day - do it once a week at most.

If you're worried, speak to your doctor about wether you need treatment, or at what point s/he thinks treatment might be needed.

In the mean time, following a healthy diet (a bit less salt, a bit more potassium and magnesium) and some regular excersise, even walking, would be a positive step

Last edited by jonnstar; 03-14-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
(male)

ludykriz HB User

i been obsessed with taking measurments.. thats why i been trying to get outta the house more oftem.. i mean 10 times a day.. so for most point its like 120/70... when i come home, have to go down stairs, it jumps to 140/80.. last night for an hour it was crazy 160/100.. i never seen it that high.. but for most part when i sit down wait 10 minutes and measure it its 120..130/65..77...
i would say 70 percent of the time its 140/80 or less... i even seen it as low as 110/60

so should i be worried?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

No, its normal for blood pressure to go up and down depending on what you're doing. You hve a problem if it stays raised when you are relaxed and resting.

The fact that it goes up and down throughout the day is healthy and normal.

Now, get your BP monitor, and put it away, and dont take it out for a few weeks. You're a fit, healthy young man, not an invalid!

Closed Thread