It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
(male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User
Persistent cough - is it the ace inhibitor or a cold I got ?

Hello,
I've been using 10 mg of lisinopril daily for about 3 years. It's the only drug I take. With the exception of cramps that lasted a few days when I first started the drug, I've never had other side effects.

However, for the past 3 weeks, I've had a cough that I just can't get rid of. This cough definitely started because I got sick (I went to the dr.). However, I've never had a persistent cough this long. I don't have a fever. I cough up a lot of phlegm still, but the severity of my cough is less severe than when I first got sick. Taking an expectorant helps.

I was just curious if you guys think my cough might be related to the lisinopril rather than an illness at this point. I'm not asking for a diagnosis, but I would like to hear from people who are familiar with the cough side effect from ace inhibitors. Perhaps, you can tell me what the cough is like and how you realized the cough was a drug-related side effect rather than a symptom of an illness.

cheers.

Last edited by 2muchdrugs28; 02-08-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
(male)

ofacto HB User
Re: Persistent cough - is it the ace inhibitor or a cold I got ?

I think the cough side effect associated with ace inhibitors is a "dry cough", since you mentioned you are still coughing up phlegm its probably related to your recent illness.
You might still have a lingering infection, it might be wise to go back to the doctor.

What color is the phlegm? It should be white or clear, if its any other color it might be the sign of something more serious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Throat clearing or cough is a side effect of Lisinopril. I'm on it and have the same issue. I take a Sudafed every day as my insurance situation is such that I need to stay on the Lisinopril ($4 at Walmart) for the time being.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

I believe Ace Inhibitors make coughs and congestion worse. A side effect of many Ace Inhibitors/ARB blockers is "Upper Respiratory Tract Infections".

Last edited by ACE28; 02-09-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
(male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User

thanks guys. The phlegm is clear. I hope the cough isn't a side effect of the ace inhibitors because I tried a few different types of drugs before settling with ace inhibitors. CCB's and diuretics were intolerable to me because of the side effects.

I'll probably give myself a week to get better and then I'll go back to the dr.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
(male)

ofacto HB User

Just a reminder to people here, people with high blood pressure should be careful what types of cough and cold medicine they take because some of them can raise your blood pressure, such as Sudafed. Coricidin HBP is specially formulated for people with high blood pressure.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
(female)

cdaus HB User

someone on this thread shared a secret as to how to get rid of that pesty dry cough from Ace inhibitors but I cannot remember who it was. I read it several months ago...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

The main side effect of Ace Inhibitors is a dry nagging cough. I also had a tickle in my throat sometimes. Cozaar also gave me the throat tickle but no cough. Ace Inhibitors can also cause Upper Respiratory Tract Infections.

Closed Thread