It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

HypertensiveCFE HB User
Lisinopril and Anxiety?

I have high blood pressure for which I was recently placed on Lisinopril. I also have an anxiety disorder for which I take several meds. I have been very stable on those meds for over a year, but recently started having panic attacks on a regular basis. I'm also dizzy and high strung. Could this be the Lisinopril? The only other things I can think of that it might be are that I've started eating healthier (much fewer sugars) or that my meds suddenly stopped working, which doesn't seem likely. Thoughts?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Lisinopril and Anxiety?

It doesnt seem to have been reported, and lisinopril has been widely used all over the world for many years. Having said that, there are several other types of medication that you could take to control your high blood pressure, so it might pay to talk to your doctor, and see if s/he would be willing to switch you to one of these others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
(female)

Tess2005 HB User

Hi - I can only speak from personal experience but I can tell you that I thought I was having a nervous breakdown when I was taking this drug. My doctor put me on Lisinopril 10 mg on 3/1/11 for hbp. I felt okay for the first few days and then the dizziness started. After that I became from depressed, cried alot, stopped eating and just felt like crap. Went back to the doctor and he said he thought I had Vertigo and suggested I see a ENT. After many episodes of crying and thinking I was never going to be normal again, I called the doctor back and told him that I was stopping the Lisinopril because I thought that was at the root of the problem. Made sense because I had never had these symptoms before. Doctor said it was okay to stop and to call him in a few days for an update. I took my last Lisinopril on 3/17. Today is 3/20 and I can tell you that I feel much better. Still somewhat anxious and a little blue but far better then I was. Isn't it funny how a drug that I had only been taking for three weeks did such horrific things? One thing I now for sure is I will NEVER take that drug again, it was terrible for me and I don't ever want to feel that bad again. I hope this is of some help. Now if I just knew how long this stuff stays in your system because I would sure like to get back to normal. This medication really did a number on me but will keep praying that within the next few days I will be back to my old self. I hope it all works our for you, will keep you in my prayers.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
(male)

warpony2310 HB Userwarpony2310 HB Userwarpony2310 HB Userwarpony2310 HB User

Lisinopril is for blood pressure ,I take 20 mg a day and feel nothing what so ever. Anxiety could be from a number of things ,meds, stress, everyday,life.

Good luck see your doctor and get a good check up.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
(female)

Tess2005 HB User

Hi - I have been to the doctor's, he is the one that prescribed the Lisinopril. I can tell you that I am completely back to normal since I stopped the medication five days ago. No dizziness, no anxiety, nothing. So there is no doubt in my mind that the Lisinopril was the culprit. I know alot of folks that take it with no side effects but unfortunately I wasn't one of them.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Everyone is different, so what bothers you may not bother someone else. I am extremely sensative to meds., so it took at least 4 different ones to help me. I can't take an ACE drug as I get the wicked cough plus some swelling in the legs. Beta Blockers lowered my pulse way too much, even on a low dose and also lowered my Potassium level. Now I have been on Avapro..an ARB and it seems to work ok. I tried Losartan..generic Cozaar but it made me very jumpy and I had more aches and pains then I cared for.

Good luck in your search...been there myself...JJ...

Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
(female)

Tess2005 HB User

Thanks JJ! I feel like I have been to hell and back, LOL. I am going to try really hard to get rid of some excess lbs and to start exercising because I really don't want to take any meds. I do appreciate the fact that there are other people out there who share the same sensitivity to medicines that I have. Thought I was losing my mind on the Lisinopril. Thanks again for posting your experiences.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

No problem as I also thought when first using meds. I was the weirdo who got all the side effects. Guess some of us are just more sensative.

Don't ya just love it if you get a Dr. who gives you that "look"...like, hmmmm?

Hang in there, it gets better...JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
Tess2005 (03-26-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
(female)

mountainmama201 HB User

I had similar experience with Lisinopril. am now taking Ramipril with no issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to mountainmama201 For This Useful Post:
Tess2005 (03-26-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
(male)

anthonyhunt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess2005 View Post
Hi - I have been to the doctor's, he is the one that prescribed the Lisinopril. I can tell you that I am completely back to normal since I stopped the medication five days ago. No dizziness, no anxiety, nothing. So there is no doubt in my mind that the Lisinopril was the culprit. I know alot of folks that take it with no side effects but unfortunately I wasn't one of them.
Hi Tess2005,

I'm experiencing the exact symptoms you are. My anxiety was so high that sometimes I'd be sitting at my desk and I would have to stand up and walk. I was also very very thirsty all the time. The only upside of this medication was I dropped 15 lbs because my appetite just wasn't there anymore. I've been off of it for three days now but I'm still getting some symptoms, but they are not as intense.

So it took you 5 days to get back to normal? I'm hoping I feel better soon. Ugh!!!

Thanks for your post! I thought I was dying until you posted this.

Anthony

Old 08-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #11
(female)

flahers HB User

I am on Lisprinol three weeks and feel constantly dizzy and woozy and I also find that I wake up every morning feeling as if I was up all night, my arms and legs ache and I'm feeling so down, dont want to leave the house and feel on edge all the time. Do you think my symptoms are due to the Lisprinol ?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
(female)

Tess2005 HB User
Smile Re: Lisinopril and Anxiety?

Hi Anthony - just wondering how you are doing now? Much better I hope! HUGS!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

I take 40 mg of lisinopril everyday and have not had dizziness or aching.. I notice that I am a little tired & sleepy on it though, & just don't have much drive to do anything. When I forget to take it, I am not so tired.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
(male)

jchathaway848 HB User

I have been on Lisinopril for 3 weeks. Halfway into the third week I began to have mild to severe anxiety attacks which came in waves for about 3 to 4 hours after taking my morning dose. This has consistenly gone on for the past 5 days. I don't believe that everyone is prone to anxiety issues but some of us are which accounts for us few who have these symptoms with this drug, considering it is derived from snake venom. I have had minor anxiety in the past, but nothing like this. Fear for 4 hours and then its gone. I am so glad to see someone has a positive story about getting off this script and returning to normal. It's very scary to not know. Thank you.

Closed Thread