It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

bpbs HB User
clonidine rebound

Hi,
I was put on a low dose (.1 mg) of Clonidine in June and decided to stop taking it due to overwhelming fatigue. I asked the doctor, and he said I could just stop it, no need to wean off of it.
Prior to beginning the drug, my BP averaged mid 130's over mid 80's without medication. Now, I am definitely hypertensive with averages in the mid 150's over low to mid 90's with HCTZ on board but no Clonidine in the past 30 days.
Does anyone have experience with Clonidine rebound, or worsening symptoms after taking that medication?

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: clonidine rebound

Clonidine rebound only lasts a few days, while the body adjusts to the drug not being there..... if your BP stays high for longer than say 1 week, it isnt clonidine rebound.

There are plenty of BP drugs out there which dont cause fatigue - go back to your doctor, and see what he thinks of your current BP, and what he recomends.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

bpbs HB User

Thanks for the reply.

I'm starting Lisinopril in addition to my HCTZ. I've tried it before with minimal success, but never in combination with another drug. We'll see.
Now that my BP is so much higher, maybe there's more to work with

I wanted to try an ARB, as that's the only class I haven't tried yet, but the doctor was afraid my insurance wouldn't cover it. Is there an ARB that doesn't (usually) cause fatigue?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hope your new combo of lisinopril +HCTZ works well for you. It just may do the trick. As for the ARBs, I'm a huge fan as they are known to have the fewest side effects of all the anti-hypertensive meds.

Diovan is one of the older ones that works really well for me, and it was the very last drug I tried after a year of experimentation with ALL the other classes. But there are no generics available yet for any of the ARBs. So even if your insurance has it in their formulary and covers it, it's still relatively expensive.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

ACE inhibitors and ARB's generaly dont cause fatigue. Thats more a problem with beta blockers and centeraly acting drugs like clonidine or methyldopa.

Adding HCTZ to enalapril was what did the trick for my HBP - neither of them alone did much, but together they worked like a charm... no side effects and BP where its meant to be.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
(female)

bpbs HB User

I appreciate the information!

My doctor has me taking separate pills for the HCTZ and the Lisinopril, so it's easier to adjust the dosages.
Do I have to take them at the same time, or can I take the HCTZ in the morning and the Lisinopril at night? I did this by default yesterday, as my Lisinopril prescription was filled in the afternoon, and I took it when I got home from work. This morning my BP was 126/82, which is the best I've seen since stopping Clonidine and starting HCTZ.
I'm thinking I might be able to tell if the HCTZ is helping at all by keeping the dosages separate.

Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I dont think it would matter, provided you took the dose of each every day. I take mine in the morning for convenience, but I think that provided you take them every day at roughly the same time each day, you'll be fine

Closed Thread