It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User
question on pulse/bp

thanks mari - i do followup regularly. in fact, he likes to see me every month or 2 to check my bp. he's pretty militant, which is ok with me. i went in a few months ago and my bp was 144/80 and he raised my meds. i've asked him many, many times about my pulse and every time he just tells me that it is an indication of how good of shape i'm in. hell lance armstrongs resting pulse is 32...i'm no lance, but i run 40 to 50 miles a week. i think all that it means is that my heart doesn't have to beat as hard to pump the amount of blood my body needs...that's all. i think the dizziness is more associated with lower bp upon standing, than lower pulse. but, my bp can go up too...especially when i'm nervous...i have a really, really bad case of white coat anxiety...bp 150/90s at doc and 110/55 at home...i check it many, many times a day and show my doc. he doesn't really care. if it's high at his office, he said it's possible for it to be high elsewhere...maybe i should go see another doc...but i used to be a few lbs overweight and drink a lot so i think he's just wants to keep me heathy. just checked my pulse...58...it only goes into 40s when really relaxed...usually hangs around 50...been like that for years, so i'm not worried...but will follow up. i used to check my bp 300 times a day or so...driving, running around work, laying down, etc...saw it go all over the place and freaked myself out. i know it's very good when relaxed and not sustained, but i can't help from checking it all the time. i do agree that if my doc could "see" it at 110/50 he'd lower my meds...but i can't prove that to him outside of showing him a sheet of paper. he says he has small women who regularly have bps of 90/60...and has always told me that lower is better...especially for as young as i am (32). anyway, i obsessively exercise and my diet consists of raw vegetables...all in an attempt to lower bp.

do you have any advice on how to stop obsessive thinking about bp? i know it's normally low...that's not the problem...i just can't stop wondering all of the time what it is. probably more of a question for the anxiety board...went to a nephrologist - checked it in the car before going in...122/70...she got 160/90...told me to go home, never check it again and if i took more meds i might pass out. that was in december...i didn't listen to her...my doc has since gotten readings of 130/80 and 120/70...so i should really just be happy it's under control...which i am...just want to stop thinking about it every minute of the day! anyway, sorry for the long post...this board is really helping me out and i am very thankful for everyone out here.
andy

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-23-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Please post your questions to all members

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Re: question on pulse/bp

Most doctors will accept home blood pressure readings and base their adjustments on the results. I don't know why your doctor refuses to do this.

Also, I don't always trust the results you get at the doctor's office. Many times they use a digital machine that they use on everyone and which has probably never been calibrated, so I don't trust the accuracy. Sometimes, they use the wall sphygmomanometer with the mercury and the tubing is old and cracked. I don't think those are accurate either.

On the other hand, you're the only one using your machine and if it's a good one then I think the results are more trustworthy.

I think everything you're doing is good, but I would still be concerned about a resting pulse rate in the 40's. You have to realize that your bp med affects both bp and pulse.

As far as being obsessed with your bp, I'm not sure what to say about that. Clearly, you are concerned about your health and maybe in the past you weren't so concerned and dealt with a major health issue that required you to change behaviors? You've obviously made some positive changes. I'm guessing that your mindset is on the past rather than the present.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User

no major health issues, just anxiety associated with 'control'. if i am not in control, i feel anxious...and my bp is one thing that i have always had a hard time controlling...i obsess about other health issues too. the answer is to just not care...i take my meds and have a healthy lifestyle...the rest is in God's hands. i know that...just sometimes harder to put into practice.

i take lisinopril by the way - i don't know if that affects pulse, but it might. you know what i really need? a 24 hr monitor...i'm sure that would help. maybe i'll talk to my doc about it next appointment. oh well...enough for today. thanks a lot.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

Potential adverse effects of lisinopril include hypotension and bradycardia ( low heart/pulse rate).

I think the 24 heart monitor is a good idea, something your doctor will pay more attention to.

Closed Thread