It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
Can ibuprofen raise BP?

I have suffered for over a yr from a fall, tried everything & alot of Dr's. I was in so much pain, finally I tried 600mg of ibuprophen & it worked great for pain & I think is making the condition alot better too. One problem, I have always had great BP but lately it has been high which is not like me. Could it be that making it go up? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Re: Can ibuprofen raise BP?

No, it wouldn't be the ibuprofen making your blood pressure go up.

Poorly controlled pain will increase your blood pressure readings. If you're waiting too long to take the pain medication that could result in higher readings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

I haven't been in pain at all since taking the ibuprofen. I just took it & it reads 184/76 this morning. didn't take the ibupro yesterday to see. I am under stress w/my daughter but I have had heavy duty stress my whole life & it always read really great.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

If you weren't having pain when you took your blood pressure then the higher readings are probably stress related.

Your systolic reading is high, but the diastolic(bottom number) is in the normal range.

Another thing, if you're eating foods with a lot of salt in them that could elevate your blood pressure. For example, if you eat a lot of fast food, frozen or canned foods because those foods are very high in sodium.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks, I'm trying to figure this out, even when I was in terrible pain & eating all the foods I eat now (& yes alot of salt) & a life full of stress Dr's have always been amazed at how beautiful my readings were. The only thing that has changed is my age I am 69 now & probably can't take the stress like I used to. I also have thyroid & adrenal problems that I just found out about last year. I wonder if valium would help, I have some that I never really took but think maybe it will help me get thru this. My daughter is 41 lives with us & is bi-polar & goes thru alot of manic episodes. She's def mental & is waiting & will find out in June if she goes to a mental hosp or prison for taking a pain pill that wasn't hers. So yes I am under alot of stress. I'm just disappointed since the ibuprofen helped my pain so much & now everyones saying it's makes your pressure go up.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

I see what you're saying, there was a study done showing a higher incidence of high blood pressure in women who took 400mg or more of ibuprofen daily.

There could be other factors though, like you said you are older now and under a lot of stress. Your body may not handle stress as well as it used to. You also can't discount your sodium intake either.

I hope things improve for you.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

I wonder if I only took it when I was in severe pain & not everyday or maybe lower than 400mg. I hate to give it up I think it was working on the inflamation. I wish there was something else as good for inflamation that wouldn't affect BP. Thanks for all the good info.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I've been on NSAIDS(non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen)for a good 40 years and I can tell you that they do raise your blood pressure. That was the primary finding on why they took Bextra and Vioxx off the market...the high blood pressure lead to increased strokes and heart problems. They raised it excessively where as the ones that are currently OTC do so at smaller rates and smaller amounts.

I've also had high blood pressure since I was a teen(now 58). My grandmother died of malignant hypertension and my father was seriously ill with it. I'm currently on 3 drugs for it(down from 5) as I figure out just what drives my family's hypertension.

I am not so much salt sensitive anymore(I gave up processed foods once I realized just how much salt was in them) but I am extremely caffeine sensitive. I drink no more than 1 cup of coffee a day or the caffeine equivalent in tea. So if I need to take ibuprofen, I give up the daily cup of coffee and I'm pretty neutral.

But stress drives my hypertension far more than anything else. And just because it hasn't done it before now, doesn't mean it's not doing it now. You can also have labile hypertension where it goes up and down very rapidly so you may find it low one minute and then high the next. I always get at least 3 readings about 5 minutes apart to average my pressure. And my doc has learned to take my pressure at the end of our appointments.

To help with the stress hypertension, nothing works better than meditation. By meditation, I mean a few moments of quiet where you intensely think of something very pleasant and calming. It could be a few moments of prayer, or singing your favorite song to yourself or in your head or reciting a favorite poem. It's giving yourself the gift of an moment of calm and serenity. It can drop your BP immediately. I love the precession to Benjamin Britton's A Ceremony of Carols....sung in Gregorian Plainchant and Latin. Learned it in choir in school and sung it again at church. Haunting melody and words. I sing it myself quietly and I am so relaxed so quickly it's amazing. I've used that same song for at least 30 years and every time I just calm down and relax and the BP comes down nicely.

So you could try to control your pressure through mediation of some kind to relieve stress (assuming that you now have stress activated hypertension) and also control your intake of medications and foods. And then you can reduce what you need to in order to take what you need to.

It's a juggling act but it has worked well for me. Been able to drop 2 of my BP drugs just doing this. And if I can lose some more weight, I'll drop it even more(need to drop 30 pounds).

You can control it before it gets out of control. That's what malignant hypertension is all about...no longer controllable by drugs. My grandmother's pressure was somewhere around 300/220 when she died(1954). And she'd had a bunch of strokes prior to that. Not something I ever want to see.

good luck................Jenny

Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks so much I just got back from the Dr's, she knows the kind of stress I'm under right now. My age has alot to do w/it when I was younger I could handle the stress but no more. She feels it's not the ibuprofen but stress since I stopped it for a week & still had high BP. She gave me a water pill for now so we'll see what happens. I usually only drink one cup of coffee in Am & one after dinner but being under stress I have been having more coffee so I will stop that.

Closed Thread