It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Charts of my struggle fighting against Chronic, uncontrolled, High Blood Pressure

The first chart shows my somewhat recent, healthy Diastolic BP range. The scale starts at the Diastolic level of 61, and the hours listed begin at 1am and run 24 hours until midnight.

The numbers represent hour 01 thru hour 24, or 1am thru 12am.

To read the following chart, the * represents the BP Diastolic reading. The average Diastolic reading at 1am was 71. At 2am the reading was 73. At 7pm (19) the Diastolic was 77.

The lowest hour's average, 63, was at 7am. The highest hour's average, 83, was at 5pm (17).

I just wanted to show how even healthy BP varied during the day, and it's easier to see the pattern thru a chart, no matter how primitive.

Notice that my blood pressure bottomed out around seven in the morning, one hour after taking my Coreg, and then went higher and higher until around 5pm, where my blood pressure then started trending lower, which is the way that normal, healthy blood pressure should be.

Hr ________70________80________90

01 __________*
02 ____________*
03 _______*
04 __________*
05 __________*
06 _________*
07 __*
08 ____*
09 ________*
10 ________*
11 __________*
12 ____________*
13 ____________*
14 _________________*
15 ________________*
16 ___________________*
17 ______________________*
18 _______________*
19 ________________*
20 _____________*
21 ____________*
22 ____________*
23 _________________*
24 _______________*

The next chart was created from my 1998 unhealthy blood pressure readings, the first year that I started taking my blood pressure at home. I was shocked that my blood pressure was that high, with unhealthy levels throughout the day and night. I didn't know what to do. It took years of frustration, anxiety and worsening health before I was finally able to get my blood pressure down to healthy levels. My Cardiologist just kept saying that, with Heart Failure, it was normal to have higher blood pressure, and that it was OK to have the type of high blood pressure levels that I was having.

To read the following chart, the * represents the BP Diastolic reading. My average Diastolic reading during 1998, at 1am, was 104, at 6am 98, at 11am 88, at 4pm 99, at 10pm 103.

Hr ________70________80________90_______100 _______110

01 ________________________________________ ___*
02 ________________________________*
03 _________________________*
04 _______________________________*
05 ____________________________________*
06 _____________________________________*
07 ________________________________________ *
08 ________________________________________ _*
09 _______________________________________*
10 ________________________________*
11 ___________________________*
12 ______________________________*
13 ________________________________*
14 __________________________________*
15 ____________________________________*
16 ______________________________________*
17 _____________________________________*
18 _____________________________________*
19 ____________________________________*
20 ______________________________________*
21 ________________________________________ *
22 ________________________________________ __*
23 ________________________________________ *
24 ________________________________________ ___*

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-27-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Charts of my struggle fighting against Chronic, uncontrolled, High Blood Pressure

Follows is my horrible hourly average Diastolic Blood Pressure chart for 1999. The non-dipping nature of my Blood Pressure was quite obvious during 1999, but neither myself nor my doctors connected the pattern to a dysfunctional metabolism or Insulin Resistance and I kept getting worse. Not that I can really blame my doctors. I continued to drink beer and was on a very unhealthy diet. No one could tell me, back in 1999, that, all I had to do to greatly improve my health, and have a chance to survive Heart Failure, with a good quality of life, was to eat a healthy diet! I probably would not have listened. I did not want to change from a fun lifestyle and fun diet, to a healthy, restricted diet.

Believe it or not, I was feeling OK, except for during the evening hours, when my symptoms would get a lot worse. So, I wasn't panicking. Plus my Cardiologist was telling me that I was doing fine.

I kept experimenting with my meds, and kept looking for, and eliminating things (triggers) that would cause increases in my blood pressure. Through the elimination of triggers and changes to my meds, my blood pressure averages for 1999 were improved over 1998, but still bad. I did not really realize that I was slowly getting worse.

1999 Average Hourly Diastolic Blood Pressure

Hr ________70________80________90_______100

01 ___________________________________*
02 _____________________________*
03 ______________________________*
04 ______________________________*
05 _______________________________*
06 ________________________________*
07 __________________________________*
08 ____________________________________*
09 _________________________________*
10 _____________________________*
11 _________________________*
12 __________________________*
13 ____________________________*
14 _______________________________*
15 ________________________________*
16 ________________________________*
17 ______________________________*
18 ____________________________*
19 ____________________________*
20 ______________________________*
21 _________________________________*
22 ____________________________________*
23 ____________________________________*
24 ______________________________________*

Besides the non-dipping nature of the chart for 1999, does anyone else notice another obvious pattern? There is a basic pattern to the chart and an explanation for the pattern. Can anyone guess what was causing the obvious chart pattern?

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: Charts of my struggle fighting against Chronic, uncontrolled, High Blood Pressure

I was on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance for all of 2005. I started documenting my diet, right here on HealthBoards, in January 2005 on a thread, I called, Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? The link to that thread is: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url] At that time, I did not really know if I would continue to improve, or continue to get worsening heart failure and worsening health.

In looking at the following chart, depicting my average Diastolic Blood Pressure for all of 2005, the dipping pattern is readily apparent. That means that, during the first year of going on a healthy diet, my body's handling of Insulin and my metabolism had already started to improve.

My blood pressure was still too high, but it was gradually getting better as I uncovered and avoided more of the things that cause higher blood pressure. It has taken many years of a healthy appropriate diet, exercise, avoiding the things that cause higher blood pressure, and taking effective medications for me to get to today's very healthy metabolism and blood pressure levels.

In these days of high medical costs and long waits at the doctor's office, it's certainly is beneficial that improvements to our own health can be done inexpensively and simply in our own homes.

Here is the chart for 2005 Average Diastolic Blood Pressure:

Hr ________70________80________90_______100 _______110

01 ___________________________*
02 ____________________________*
03 ____________________________*
04 __________________________*
05 ________________________*
06 _________________________*
07 _________________________*
08 __________________*
09 ___________________*
10 ______________________*
11 ______________________*
12 _________________________*
13 _________________________*
14 __________________________*
15 ____________________________*
16 _____________________________*
17 ______________________________*
18 _____________________________*
19 ____________________________*
20 __________________________*
21 _________________________*
22 _________________________*
23 ___________________________*
24 _________________________*

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thought that I would provide a chart showing my average blood pressure chart for the months of October and November, 2009. Most of the significant improvement in my formally chronically high blood pressure, has been through my diet of small calorie, high fiber, frequent feeding, high quality meals.

I've been able to cut my blood pressure medications down to only Coreg 12.5mg, once per day. That's it. That's all!

I've got Heart Failure, Atrial Fibrillation, Asthma, Immune System Dysfunction, Insulin Resistance & Pre-Diabetes and Valve Disease; and yet I can do 150 pushups, weight lifting curls, weight lifting lifts, stationary bike, stepper and two 30 minute power walks per day, and I have great energy and strength, for a guy close to 70. If I can greatly improve my health through diet, than ANYONE can!

It wasn't always this good. Back in 2003-2004, I was pouring down the beer, and stuffing my face with all kinds of high calorie, unhealthy foods, and doing no exercise.

In other words, I was doing absolutely NOTHING to help myself battle chronic High Blood Pressure, Atrial Fibrillation, Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes and Heart Failure. I did not believe in diet, or exercise. I'm just glad that I didn't wait too long to change my ways, and that I was able to turn around these dreadful, nasty, debilitating, life-threatening diseases.

I take .25mg Digoxin for my Atrial Fibrillation and Heart Failure, and Asthma/Sinus meds, and Warfarin to protect against clots. That's it! I've never taken any meds for Pre-Diabetes or Insulin Resistance. What's the secret? DIET!!!

The following chart shows my recent, October and November 2009 healthy Diastolic BP range, starting at the Diastolic level of 61, beginning at 1am and running 24 hours until midnight.

The numbers represent hour 01 thru hour 24, or 1am thru 12am.

To help to read the chart, the average Diastolic reading at 1am was 67. At 2am the reading was 67. At 7pm (19) the Diastolic was 71.

The lowest hour's average, 62, was at 10pm (22). The highest hour's average, 81, was at 4pm (16).

I just wanted to show how even healthy BP varied during the day, and it's easier to see the pattern thru a chart, no matter how primitive.

Hr ________70________80________90

01 ______*
02 ______*
03 _______*
04 ______*
05 ____*
06 ______*
07 ___*
08 ____________*
09 ___________*
10 _________*
11 ______________*
12 __________*
13 ______________*
14 ________________*
15 __________________*
16 _____________________*
17 _________________*
18 _______________*
19 ____________*
20 ______________*
21 ____________*
22 __*
23 _____*
24 _____*

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

I think you've really made some positive lifestyle changes, but do you realize your charts are blank?

I think it would be more effective if you would post without the charts.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari526 View Post
I think you've really made some positive lifestyle changes, but do you realize your charts are blank?
Blank?! I can see them as plain as day!?

I posted the X Axis's in different bold-dark colors, so that no one would have a problem reading them, even though they are a little archaic.

I checked with some buddies of mine, and they can ALL read them.

Could you possibly be having a problem with your monitor? If so, I can change the color(s) of the X Axis.

Quote:
I think it would be more effective if you would post without the charts.
I would rather "make it work", as they say on Project Runway. I find the charts too "pretty" to leave out!

Take care...... and thanks for bringing this to my attention.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

To be honest,Initially I didn't understand how to follow them. I can see now at the top are the diastolic readings and the asterisks beneath show what the readings were on a particular day.

Personally, I don't think you need the charts.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari526 View Post
Personally, I don't think you need the charts.
Since the title and intent of this thread is to show blood pressure patterns using "charts", it would be kinda difficult without "charts"! Hmmm!? On the other hand, I could rename the thread: Charts of my struggle fighting against Chronic, uncontrolled, High Blood Pressure, without the charts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari526
I can see now at the top are the diastolic readings and the asterisks beneath show what the readings were on a particular day.
I'm glad that you are beginning to understand the charts. However, I don't have any charts showing blood pressure readings on a particular day!?

Once you become familiar with the charts and understand them, all it takes is a glance to determine the blood pressure pattern throughout the day.

You can easily look at the effects of Insulin Resistance, or Pre-Diabetes, or Diabetes, on your Blood Pressure and then others can compare their own patterns against yours. It sure beats the heck out of looking at a bunch of numbers. Charting my Blood Pressure really helped me understand and get my Blood Pressure under control.

Sure, one can do all kinds of work with numbers. But, for my own personal preference, give me a chart rather than just the raw numbers.

Regularly, I do three main Blood Pressure charts. I do a chart by year (13 years), by month (13 years) and by hour of the day (24 hours). I also bring these charts to my Cardiologist, except that the charts that I use for myself and my Cardiologist are much more sophisticated than the ones that I post here, for obvious reasons.

There are not too many places on the Internet where one can view the results of taking one's blood pressure 29,000 + times, over 13 years.

Thanks for your opinion and for responding to my thread!

Have a nice day!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 05-03-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

The following is a chart showing my annual average Blood Pressure from 1998 through 2010, with the top heading starting at the Diastolic level of 59, the chart beginning in 1998 and ending in 2010.

To help to read the first chart, the average Diastolic reading for all of 1998 was 97. For 1999, the average Diastolic Blood Pressure was 92. For 2008, the average Diastolic was 72.

I started dieting in the middle of 2004, without knowing anything about diet. It evolved into a low calorie, frequent feeding, high fiber, small meal diet targeting Insulin Resistance in December 2004.

The effects of diet on my average Blood Pressure are obvious, by looking at the dip in average Diastolic Blood Pressure staring in 2004, and going lower each and every following year, until it leveled out in 2007.

Once again, best of luck to everyone with their diets, exercise, blood pressure and health!

yr 60_______70________80________90_______10 0

1998 ____________________________________*
1999 _______________________________*
2000 _______________________________*
2001 _______________________________*
2002 __________________________________*
2003 __________________________________*
2004 ____________________________*
2005 ________________________*
2006 ________________*
2007 ___________*
2008 _________*
2009 _________*
2010 ________*

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

I noticed when I am on a bp monitor in the er my heart goes up and down as does my bp. drives me nuts!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caring12 View Post
I noticed when I am on a bp monitor in the er my heart goes up and down as does my bp. drives me nuts!
Besides a diet too high in calories, there are many other things, irritants, triggers, etc., that can drive our Blood Pressure and Heart Rate up.

For instance, we have over 300 hormones in our bodies, controlled by an internal clock called our Circadian Rhythm. At all hours of the day and night, our Circadian Rhythm controls which hormones get released into our blood stream, and the hormonal amount required.

There are also all kinds of external and internal things that can influence the release of not only hormones in our bodies, but also Immune System chemicals, such as Cytokines, which also have a direct effect on Blood Pressure and Heart Rate/Rhythm.

The beauty of being able to cure high blood pressure is that, once one is on a proper, appropriate, healthy diet; avoids the many triggers which cause higher blood pressure; gets on the appropriate medications; and gets on an appropriate exercise program, then high blood pressure is simply no longer a problem...... a thing of the past!

So..... while you are lying there in the ER, watching your BP and Heart Rate do the dance, there are many MANY different influences at play. Plus..... if someone's metabolism is dysfunctional than all disease states and health problems are made worse. Tis very VERY complex!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 07-28-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
The beauty of being able to cure high blood pressure is that, once one is on a proper, appropriate, healthy diet; avoids the many triggers which cause higher blood pressure; gets on the appropriate medications; and gets on an appropriate exercise program, then high blood pressure is simply no longer a problem...... a thing of the past!

lex!

I agree, but how do we figure out the triggers? It's not that simple

Old 08-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Going into the sixth day after eliminating ALL blood pressure medications. I no longer take either a beta blocker, a diuretic or an Ace Inhibitor.

Blood Pressure over the past six days, without blood pressure medications has been:
  • 8/10/2010 120/72 5 readings.
  • 8/11/2010 123/73 6 readings.
  • 8/12/2010 117/67 5 readings.
  • 8/13/2010 123/66 4 readings.
  • 8/14/2010 123/69 6 readings.
  • 8/15/2010 117/69 2 readings.

It seems like all of the missing pieces are now in place for me to have my blood pressure under control, and at very healthy levels, without blood pressure medications.

I was able to achieve this mostly through a healthy diet, but also by avoiding things that stimulate higher blood pressure, like caffeine, cigarette smoke, alcohol, allergens, etc.

If a dummy like me, who is uneducated and untrained medically, can successful achieve very healthy blood pressure levels 24 hours per day, after MANY years of chronic high blood pressure averages, than anyone can do it!

This last link to this high blood pressure was supposedly a molar root infection that had slowly spread to my gums and jaw. That infected tooth must have been a problem for many years. Once that slow developing and slow spreading infection was gone, many things changed, effecting my health and the meds that I was taking.

If you consider what my blood pressure "averaged" from 1998 through 2004, while on numerous meds, you would realize that this journey back to better health and a very healthy blood pressure hasn't been an easy one.

Blood Pressure averages from 1998 thru 2004:
  • 1998 152/97; 1016 readings.
  • 1999 146/92; 3599 readings.
  • 2000 145/92; 3322 readings.
  • 2001 147/92; 2375 readings.
  • 2002 151/96; 1423 readings.
  • 2003 151/96; 1032 readings.
  • 2004 146/91; 2065 readings.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-15-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I hope you know what you are doing by going off the BP medication. Is there a reason it's so important to go off them?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
I hope you know what you are doing by going off the BP medication.
I was diagnosed with Heart Failure back in January 1987. I did not realize that I suffered from Chronic High Blood Pressure until September 1998.

In September 1998, when I started checking my blood pressure, I was astounded to find out that my blood pressure was dangerously high in the afternoon, evening and all night long. My blood pressure was reasonable in the morning hours, but that was because that was when I took all of my heart medications.

So....... from Sept 1998, I started closely tracking my blood pressure at different times and have now developed a database of over 29,000 readings, covering every hour of the day, over a 12 year span.

I was able to evaluate and analyze my blood pressure patterns, and after several years of frustration, I finally was able to learn exactly how to get my blood pressure down to very healthy levels. It took a long, LONG time for me to figure out EXACTLY what raises my blood pressure and how to keep my blood pressure down to healthy levels all the time.

As I have frequently posted, I found out that an inappropriate/unhealthy diet is the Number One reason for High Blood Pressure. I really believe that ANYONE can lower their blood pressure by going on an appropriate/healthy diet.

I also found many MANY common, ordinary things that cause the body to raise the blood pressure. The more of these things, or stimulants, or irritants that I removed from my environment and lifestyle, the better my blood pressure.

I've tried to stop taking my blood pressure medications quite a few times in the past, and have never succeeded. There was always one last stimulant that I was not able to discover.

Then....... I had a root canal, and found out that I had suffered from a tooth, gum, jaw infection for a long time. That infection is now gone. That means that the sole remaining thing, or stimulant or irritant that caused higher blood pressure in my body, has been removed. I no longer need artificial means, or medications, to get my blood pressure down to very healthy levels, all the time, 24 hours per day.

So...... in answer to your statement: "I hope you know what you are doing by going off the BP medication". Yes, I know what I am doing.

OTOH, will my cure to my own chronic high blood pressure also work or apply to others. I don't know. I only know what works for me. Buts...... I post about what I have discovered and learned in the hopes that others may benefit from what I have learned. I don't get much feedback, so I have no idea if anyone considered my information helpful, or unhelpful?!

Quote:
Is there a reason it's so important to go off them?
Yes, there are several reasons.

After the infection in my jaw was stopped, my blood pressure was getting too low, my heartrate was getting too low and weak and my legs, ankles and feet were swelling. In fact, most of my body was swelling up slightly. I stopped taking my blood pressure medication and the swelling went away, my heart beat is much better and stronger, I have much more energy and ability to exercise.

So far, I am doing much better without the blood pressure medications. This is only the 7th day without any blood pressure medications, so the verdict is still out whether or not I will be successful.

This morning's BP readings:
  • 5:15am 109/67
  • 8:09am 109/65

So far..... so good, despite also suffering from Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Insulin Resistance and Asthma!

Thanks for posting and asking your questions.

Take care and have a nice day!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-16-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Closed Thread