It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

lbehel HB User
Beta Blockers and Blood Sugar

Do beta blockers raise blood sugar? If so, do some meds raise it more than others? Does dose make a difference?

Thanks!!

Last edited by lbehel; 05-04-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and Blood Sugar

I wish they did! But as far as I know, they don't - and haven't for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Yes - some beta blockers can raise blood sugar. Bystolic (a newer beta-blocker) has raised my blood sugar by about 10 points. It's not supposed to have this glucose effect, but nevertheless, 3 different set of blood tests in approx. one year have shown an increase. Metoprolol was neutral in my past blood glucose readings. Though both drugs tend to raise my cholesterol and triglyceride levels. The only beta blocker which I sampled for about 4 months and did not raise my sugar or cholesterol levels was "Betaxolol". It raised my triglycerides only slightly. Betaxolol research has shown that the effect on lipids and glucose has been neutral, and I tend to believe the research because my numbers improved. Other beta blockers (mainly Bystolic) tend to exagerate their claims and were also cited by the FDA for making these claims. If you read the Prescribing Information for Bystolic, you will see that increased cholesterol, triglycerides and Uric Acid levels are being reported. Glucose and HDL are also mentioned.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
(female)

lbehel HB User

I take nadalol (Corgard is brand name). It is an older one. How would I find out if that one can raise sugar levels. I have a family history of diatetes and stumbled over an article a few weeks ago about betas raising blood sugar. So now I am trying to decide if I just want to wean off the med or not. I have mitral valve prolapse and take it for heart palps so it isn't for blood pressure reasons. I was taking toprol and changed because nadalol was cheaper. Maybe if I decide to stay on the drug I should just go back to toprol xl since you said it is neutral. Where do you find this info? If it does raise your blood sugar, does the BS go back to normal once off the beta or is this a permanent side effect? Do you know if it makes a difference it the BB is cardiac Selective or Non-Cardiac Selective? Nadalol is Non-Cardiac Selective.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-07-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 05-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Beta blockers selective for beta1 are supposed to be more tolerable for asthma and bronchial related problems. I believe that most beta blockers, (including Nadolol) can negatively effect blood sugar levels and lipids if weight gain becomes a problem (a problem with most beta blockers). Many drugs including Crestor, Lipitor and even Niaspan/Niacin can increase blood sugar levels, yet they are still being prescribed to diabetics, because the benefits appear to outweigh the risks. You can search this information on the web to get more facts. Another factor to consider is the dosage. Higher dosages can create more problems, including increased side effects. When thousands of patients are taking beta blockers, it's difficult to determine if a person has a predisposition to diabetes, or is it the drug? Many have diabetes regardless of drugs. Nadolol is supposed to be a good drug with many indications, it is also very effective for migraines and tension headaches.

Closed Thread