It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
I've taken my BP 29,000 times since 1998. What I'm learning is saving my life!

Back in 1998, I didn't even know that my blood pressure was chronically out of control. It was always low in the Cardiologist's office, but that was in the morning, a couple of hours after I took my BP meds. I did not realize that my blood pressure would get higher and higher and higher as the day progressed, and then soar during the evening and then into the morning.

Due to increased symptoms and a deterioration of my Heart Failure, I started taking my BP at home. I was amazed that my BP was up at unhealthy levels most of the day!

That started a many year journey trying to find out about my BP, and which of my BP medications was most effective, and what was causing my chronically high blood pressure. It actually took me until 2004 before I finally made some real progress--- after over FIVE YEARS of unbelievable frustration!

I've learned that my non-ischemic blood pressure tells me when my diet is healthy or not. It tells me when I've come into contact with a trigger of Higher BP. It tells me when I am too stressed out, or not. It tells me which BP meds are most effective.

Any time I change my diet, I make sure that I track the changes in my diet through my blood pressure readings.

Anyways...... just wanted to post that non-ischemic High Blood Pressure is more than a health problem. It can also be used to warn the patient that their metabolism is out of balance, that their stress level is too high, that they have come into contract with something offensive or irritating to their immune systems, or that their diet is unhealthy. Or..... unfortunately, what is usually the case, IMHO, a combination of these causes.

Neat info, huh?!

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-07-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
(female)

Lotsadogs HB User
Re: I've taken my BP 29,000 times since 1998. What I'm learning is saving my life!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I have always tried to impress upon people that they are the one most interested in their health and it does them well to listen and learn what their body is telling them. We just have to stop and pay attention to the messages and teach ourselves the meaning of these symptoms.
Sometimes these lessons can take a long time to extract the necessary information from -- as you have found. Diligence has paid off -- with positive results for you.
Good Luck

Last edited by moderator2; 05-08-2010 at 07:07 AM.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: I've taken my BP 29,000 times since 1998. What I'm learning is saving my life!

That IS neat info. So do you track what foods/supplements etc help and hurt your blood pressure?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
I have always tried to impress upon people that they are the one most interested in their health and it does them well to listen and learn what their body is telling them. We just have to stop and pay attention to the messages and teach ourselves the meaning of these symptoms.
Our bodies are ALWAYS telling us if there is a problem. Translating what our bodies are telling us, to a proper diagnosis, can be very difficult.

But, as you say, if we don't stop and pay attention to the messages, and try to translate these body messages into diagnosis, then we will be fighting a losing battle with our health!

Quote:
Sometimes these lessons can take a long time to extract the necessary information from -- as you have found. Diligence has paid off -- with positive results for you.
It hasn't been easy. After several years of trial and error, I finally gave up and ignored my blood pressure for two years, from 2002-2003. That didn't work. I got sicker and sicker, and my health and heart failure deteriorated badly.

It took me several years, to learn the obvious! The most important thing we can do for our health and well being is eat a healthy diet! What we put into our bodies for fuel, for energy, for good health, and for well being, depends upon the quality of what we eat! Eat unhealthy...... be unhealthy!

Someone will eat a 2000 calorie fast food meal, and then run to the store to buy vitamins or supplements?! All of the healthy vitamins, minerals and supplements in the world will not make up for an unhealthy diet!

Quote:
Good Luck
Dr. B
Thanks! And..... best of luck and health to you!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-07-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
That IS neat info. So do you track what foods/supplements etc help and hurt your blood pressure?
I first started a clumsy attempt at dieting back around June 2004. In December 2004, after figuring out that I was Insulin Resistant, I went on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance; and I posted about it on HealthBoards, under the title: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? (Direct Link: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229.

Since 2004, through trial and error, and many frustrating experiences, my diet has evolved to where it is today.

I've now got an elaborate spreadsheet built with ALL of the "safe" foods that I could safely include in my diet, that permit me to keep my blood pressure at very healthy levels, reduce my heart palpitations and heart rhythm problems, keep my blood sugar at healthy levels, and have me feeling pretty damn good!

The foods in my diet are listed with their complete nutritional information, including glycemic index and load, potassium, sugar, fat, protein, carbs, fiber, carbs-fiber, sodium, calcium, calories, etc., with corresponding percentages of daily requirements. This spreadsheet allows me to quickly change my diet, and keep as close as I can to my daily calorie target of 1500 calories per day.

I am amazed and overjoyed about what I have accomplished and learned about improving my health, through closely tracking my blood pressure. I am convinced that a person's blood pressure pattern is the most important and valuable aid in solving most health problems. Blood Pressure patterns yields extremely valuable data!!

I am still learning. I have found out that I do best when I keep all of my proteins, carbs, fats, potassium, sodium, calcium, etc., at effective and tolerable levels, and IN BALANCE. At present I have finally found, what I consider to be the PERFECT diet for me. Instead of eating small frequent meals, I am now eating five substantial, good sized, low calorie, low glycemic meals, totaling about 1500 calories per day. My blood pressure is great. My heart rhythm is acceptable and I've got plenty of energy.

In summary..... it's all good, because I have survived chronic, life-threatening health problems for over 23 years, and I am not only still alive and kicking, but getting better even though I am zeroing in on 70!

I don't know what is worse, the aging process, or having Heart Failure!?

Thanks for your question. Take care, and have a great day!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-17-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi dear,

It's really nice to know that you are doing ok
You are doing a great job dear, keep it up.
Mike

Old 05-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Mike!

Hmmmmm!? I just responded to another thread of yours, the one about your increased blood pressure and health problems.

You are always encouraging others, and saying nice things to others. However, now you've got to be nicer to yourself. I realize that the quality of food available to you is not the best. Even so..... a reduction in calories, down to healthy levels, is always good for one's health.

Has the problem with obtaining fruits and vegetables changed at all in your neck of the woods?

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Hi Mike!

Hmmmmm!? I just responded to another thread of yours, the one about your increased blood pressure and health problems.

You are always encouraging others, and saying nice things to others. However, now you've got to be nicer to yourself. I realize that the quality of food available to you is not the best. Even so..... a reduction in calories, down to healthy levels, is always good for one's health.

Has the problem with obtaining fruits and vegetables changed at all in your neck of the woods?
Sorry dear, I forgot to reply to your reply lol. No it's even worse now, it's very difficult to get good vegetables around here. But I eat cantaloupe daily, which is rich in vitamin A, E and Potassium too.
I try to nice to myself but living with injuried shoulders and knees is very difficult. Anyway, I haven't lost hope in my creator to heal me.

I know that you have taken your bp reading 7 time a day, and because of insulin resistance your body functions are improving. So could you guide me to the thread about Insulin Resistance, the one you posted few year ago.
Thanks for your help,
Mike

Old 05-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartner View Post
No it's even worse now, it's very difficult to get good vegetables around here.
That's terrible! Here, there are plentiful supplies of inexpensive, healthy veggies and fruit. It's almost like there is a grocery market on each corner. I don't think that we really appreciate what we have conveniently available to us!

I hope that the situation changes for the better, for you. Good health and good diet go hand in hand!

Quote:
but living with injuried shoulders and knees is very difficult. Anyway, I haven't lost hope in my creator to heal me.
Is there anything that can be done to improve your injured shoulders or knees?

Quote:
I know that you have taken your bp reading 7 time a day,
Tracking the blood pressure multiple times per day is a wonderful tool for guiding dietary changes, evaluating High Blood Pressure triggers, evaluating Heart Rhythm triggers, and for diagnosing metabolic problems. When I first started taking my blood pressure multiple times per day, back in 1998, I had no idea just how much can be learned from one's daily blood pressure patterns and trends.

Quote:
and because of insulin resistance your body functions are improving. So could you guide me to the thread about Insulin Resistance, the one you posted few year ago.
Thanks for your help,
Mike
Insulin Resistance is a serious health problem which happens when too many carbs are eaten on a regular basis. The body produces extra Insulin in order to convert the carbs to energy. The body's cells can't handle the excess Insulin, so the cells try to defend themselves by rejecting Insulin, causing all kinds of health problems.

I first started a clumsy attempt at dieting back around June 2004. In December 2004, after figuring out that I was Insulin Resistant, I went on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance; and I posted about it on HealthBoards, under the title: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? (Direct Link: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229.

Take care, Mike. I wish you good health and great fortune!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I've just taken my 29,000th Blood Pressure reading since 1998. My average blood pressure for April, 2010 was 121/69 based on 149 readings throughout the month ( 5 readings per day ).

Getting one's blood pressure down to very healthy levels all day long, day after day, month after month, is the key to improved health PERIOD!
My average Blood Pressure for May, 2010 was 120/70 based on 116 readings throughout the month ( 4 readings per day ).

My average Blood Pressure for 2010 is 122/70 based on 543 readings throughout the year ( 4+ readings per day ).

I monitor my weight several times per day, my blood pressure several times per day and my blood sugar. In order to survive Heart Failure combined with Persistent Atrial Fibrillation and very overactive NeuroHormonal and Immune Systems; I need to monitor as much as I can. Doing so provides me with a fairly good quality of life, despite all of my health challenges.

A good quality, low calorie, small meal, frequent eating diet is soooooooo very important for better health for those of us with major chronic illnesses.

I started out in 1998 with chronically high blood pressure, 24 hours per day. I now enjoy exceptionally great, healthly blood pressure 24 hours each day, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year... and that is what is greatly helping me to survive and do very well despite debilitating health problems.

High Blood Pressure is not necessarily a disease all by itself, but a mirror into one's overall health. If one has high blood pressure than one's body is not as healthy as it should be. Period!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:

I am still learning.
It is difficult to learn when I have to fight against my own stubborn self!

Quote:
At present I have finally found, what I consider to be the PERFECT diet for me. Instead of eating small frequent meals, I am now eating five substantial, good sized, low calorie, low glycemic meals, totaling about 1500 calories per day. My blood pressure is great. My heart rhythm is acceptable and I've got plenty of energy.
That plenty of energy didn't last too long. My blood pressure started to get higher. My legs, ankles and feet started to swell. My energy level went down the drain. I felt sluggish. I felt weak. I just felt lousy!

I did learn a little more about my Heart Failure and diet. It's not enough to just limit the calories. I also have to limit the amount and bulk. Since going back on my good old, small meal, frequent eating, low calorie diet; I am back to my energetic, feeling good self. Feeling good, but always hungry! Fortunately I don't have to wait long until my next meal. Ankles, legs and feet are now back to normal. My physical strength is back and I have no problems with doing my push-ups, weight lifts, weight curls, steppers, power walks and weight lift-back exercises.

Quote:
I don't know what is worse, the aging process, or having Heart Failure!?
What is worse is the aging process combined with being DUMB! This time I have definitely learned my lesson. I'm staying with the diet that has helped me to survive with a reasonably good quality of life. It is difficult to do. I always want to snack, or eat something really good. But, this time I mean it. Stay on my diet!!!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
What is worse is the aging process combined with being DUMB! This time I have definitely learned my lesson. I'm staying with the diet that has helped me to survive with a reasonably good quality of life. It is difficult to do. I always want to snack, or eat something really good. But, this time I mean it. Stay on my diet!!!
[/QUOTE]

Good for you, Machaon! Keep up the good work!!!!!!!

flowergirl

Old 06-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Flowergirl!

Easier said than done. I tend to paint too rosy a picture when I post.

Staying on a small meal, low calorie, frequent feeding, BALANCED diet, is very difficult. I only eat three small pieces of fruit each day. That's it! No pizza, No spaghetti and meatballs, no subs, no stacks of pancakes loaded down with syrup, no ice cream, no snacking, and on and on and on, sigh!

Of course, dieting is difficult for everyone. It is just so darn hard to do, even when one has heart failure and difficult to treat high blood pressure and is faced with health problems with a higher risk of death and hospitalization, like me!

Some times I say to hell with it and then eat something I shouldn't. Then I suffer for days, and my blood pressure shoots up! It is maddening and frightening!

Thanks for the kind words.

I am really interested in knowing how you are doing. If you are going to post an update, I will be on watch for it.

Regards, take care, best of health, and best of all...... Welcome back!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 06-19-2010, 12:04 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
Staying on a small meal, low calorie, frequent feeding, BALANCED diet, is very difficult. I only eat three small pieces of fruit each day.

Some times I say to hell with it and then eat something I shouldn't. Then I suffer for days, and my blood pressure shoots up! It is maddening and frightening!

I think that many of us can relate to that. I eat things I shouldn't and pay for it later. Once in a while, I find myself craving something salty.......and, sadly, give in and have some potato chips. Needless to say, my legs swell within an hour and my blood pressure is affected as well. I have become very salt sensitive. For a time, I ate small meals and felt great! It also helped me lose some weight. I will try to get back to eating less but more often. It really works!

Quote:
I am really interested in knowing how you are doing. If you are going to post an update, I will be on watch for it.
I am doing great! I have not felt better in the longest time! Thank you!

flowergirl

Old 06-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
I eat things I shouldn't and pay for it later. Once in a while, I find myself craving something salty.......and, sadly, give in and have some potato chips. Needless to say, my legs swell within an hour and my blood pressure is affected as well.
Oh nooooo! Potato Chips are one of the worst snacks one could eat. It goes straight into blood sugar causing the pancreas to work a lot harder than normal.

Plus... I'd be willing to bet that your blood glucose suffers also.

Quote:
I have become very salt sensitive.
I am on a low salt diet, but mostly because of the types of foods that I have to eat, not because of will power.

Quote:
For a time, I ate small meals and felt great! It also helped me lose some weight. I will try to get back to eating less but more often. It really works!
Body feedback is my number one diagnostic resource. The better I feel, the better my body likes and handles my diet; and the better I know that the diet is for my health.

But... like you I am tempted all the time to just say the hell with it and eat something that I really really miss. We are all human. I love potato chips, and popcorn and pizza and subs and omelets and backed white potato smothered in butter; and chicken wings, and.... and.... and....... Can't do!!! I get off the beaten dietary path, like you, and I pay dearly for the transgression.

Quote:
I am doing great! I have not felt better in the longest time! Thank you!

flowergirl
You don't know what a relief it is to read that from you!

Once again...... best of health and luck to you!

ps: Nice avatar. Pretty flower! My avatar is of me when I was much younger and handsomer.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-20-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Closed Thread