It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

gayle123 HB User
After a 10 day water fast and then giving up sodium

.... my blood pressure seem to be under control without medication.

Hi everyone it has been a while since I posted. I was on bp meds for about 2 years but I hated taking them.
I stopped on my own in the middle of 2009 ( I know bad). My BP was running around 145/95-105
In January I read on the internet about how fasting for 10 days and then eating a healthy low sodium diet from then on can control bp.
I did a 10 day water and hibiscus tea/lemon fast in Jan 2010 right after New Years day. Afterwards I cut added salt. Now I use spice blends instead and also onion and garlic. I also eat a lower carb diet (Atkins before now South Beach) I have always excersised so that was not a problem.

Now my blood pressure is running about 117/78 on average. I just left the Dr. office today 7/15 and my BP measured 126/82!!

Has anyone else tried this?

Gayle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

marcia56 HB User
Re: After a 10 day water fast and then giving up sodium

you mean you only drank water for 10 days?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
(female)

gayle123 HB User

Hi Marcia, I drank only water and hibiscus tea with lemon, for 10 days

Old 07-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Congratulations, Gayle, on improving your blood pressure and your health through your own means and determination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle123 View Post
Now my blood pressure is running about 117/78 on average. I just left the Dr. office today 7/15 and my BP measured 126/82!!
While not all might see the same great results, depending upon the resistant and malignant nature of their high blood pressure, EVERYONE could benefit from going to a healthier diet, like you did.

Regarding your blood pressure average of 117/78, which is excellent! Have you noticed that your blood pressure is lower, during the early part of the day, and then goes up, somewhat, as the day progresses? It is quite normal and healthy for the afternoon blood pressure to be higher than in the morning.

I've not only suffered from chronically High Blood Pressure, but also from Heart Failure and other health problems, and have found out that the best medication that we can take for ANY health problem is proper, healthy diet.

Changing my diet resulted in a huge improvement to my health.

I am not sure that I would want to do a 10 day water-only fast. I have gotten great results just from a much healthier diet, and I don't think that I have the same self-control as you do. I would cheat on the 10 day water fast, within an hour or two!

But...... it worked for you. Nice going! You have a lot of moxie to endure 10 days of water only. That must have been tough!

Kudos to you for pulling this off and succeeding in your efforts and improving your own health sans medication!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 07-18-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I agree we all could benefit from a healthier diet. I got scared and went to one of the top cardiologist in Dallas who specialzes in hypetension. He would say her numbers are still to high for many reasons I don't have time to go into and still at 2x the risk of stroke factor. He believes numbers should be 110/75 but prefers 110/60. He stated even a 5-10 points higher IS a big deal.

He says healy diet and exercise are essentinal for people with hypetension, 30 minute cardio a day, being at healthy weight etc...

However he told me, the fact is we still have hypertension, that doesnt go away. her BP will always have to be watched and it wil incease with age and could spike, which he said spikes are more dangerous vs someone with a steady prehype number. He would stil have her on medication. It was very educational and took 2 hours and I learned soo much! I couldnt post it all here.

After my scare I took my BP very seriously and making changes and taking meds to keep my pressure low. My diet is, if it's man made I don't eat it and buy only range free chicken. I been shopping at whole foods for eveything.

I want to add he also sent me home with a blood pressure cuff/stethopscope all attached in one and i learned how to use that. More accurate than depending on the digital BP monitors.

My bp numbes have been between 89/60 - 111/65

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 07-18-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
(female)

gayle123 HB User

Thanks so much Machaon, I am very happy with this improvement and control of my BP without meds.
I had been on meds but the only on that worked was hcl and that messed with my blood work and I had other side effects as well. The others (Benicar alone, and Azor(combo of Benicar and a CCB) did not improve my BP.

The fast and subsequent sodium cutting have worked the best for me and that is good because I did not like the side effects I was getting with meds.

The fast really helped me 'get the salt taste out of my mouth' literally and figuratively. It enabled me to 'start fresh'. I had been in denial about how much sodium I used. I started it right after the new year (2010). I started on the weekend so it was fine and work was not too stressful that week. It was hard at the end but the whole experience was actually easier than I though it would be. It was the first time I had ever done a fast.

I love to excersise and I plan and hope to lose 10-15 more lbs so it should go down a little further. I attribute the 126/82 @ the drs office to nerves. at home it is 117/78 on average ofter better.

I think you are correct in that my BP goes up a little as the day progress.

Cutting back drastically on sodium has not been too bad either. I use a lot of spice blends, low sodium chicken broth, onions, mustard, garlic etc to flavor my food. but the salt box is GONE.

Thanks again for your support

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-19-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
(female)

gayle123 HB User

Hi Flutterby, I am really happy with the results from cutting salt. I do cardio exercise about 5-6 days a week for 45 minutes or more. I plan and hope to drop 10-15 lbs off my 5'10 181 lb frame and if i succeed my bp should come down a little more. I am not going to worry about trying to get it to 110/60 though

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-19-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 07-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle123 View Post
Hi Flutterby, I am really happy with the results from cutting salt. I do cardio exercise about 5-6 days a week for 45 minutes or more. I plan and hope to drop 10-15 lbs off my 5'10 181 lb frame and if i succeed my bp should come down a little more. I am not going to worry about trying to get it to 110/60 though
I used to be on Azor also, I was told that was agressive tereatment and I would be on bp meds for the rest of my life. I know what you mean about the horrible side effects, so I went off my meds because my pressure was doing great for a long time without meds. then out of the blue I got 3 spikes within a month.

Well here I am again.... on medication benicar 40HCT. I asked what caused my BP spikes. I was told.. well you have hypertension and I went off Azor 5/40 which is considedered fairly agressive.

Closed Thread