It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

cindylou2 HB User
Question Newly Diag. at 188/110. Questions!!!

I'm 50, peri-meno and slightly over weight. I've been having some head aches and off/on spikes with HBP.

At my doctor's appt this week, my BP was 188/110. YIKES!!!

My Doc placed me on Triam/HCTZ.

I've taken 1/2 of 25mg. each morning for the past 4 days. I HATE the way it makes me feel!!! I feel weak, dizzy, crampy and don't sleep well.

Anyone else taking this med?

Does your body eventually adjust to it? I'm not sure rather to call my Doc and complain, or if I should give it more time.

Thanks for any information you can give me!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: Newly Diag. at 188/110. Questions!!!

Never heard of it, but I got the same BP numbers and was put on Benicar 40 HCT. I feel ok on it, some days a little tired and I do get dizzy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

cindylou,

I would encourage you to give it some time. Four days at half strength is only enough to give you side effects.

May I ask...Did you decide to cut the dosage in half?

Some medications are fine to cut, but others can have awful effects, for example, some meds are meant to be slow release, and have a coating for that. Cutting into that type of pill would cause it to release all the medication out at once.

One more question...
Did the doctor have you start at the 12.5 dosage, and work you way up to 25 ?

Either way, for most medications that are long lasting, we have to take enough of the medication to get the proper amount into your bloodstream (the therapeutic level). Once it is there, we want to maintain that amount 24 hrs a day.

So it is best to take your medication exactly as prescribed for at least 3-4 weeks to do all that. By the time the medication is working at it's best, the side effects usually have disappeared.

Keeping your BP down is very important, and it is worth a few weeks of you time to devote to managing it. I have very difficult to control BP, and it has caused 4 strokes, kidney failure, vision loss, heart failure, and more. I am only 49 years old.

Hang in there girl...high blood pressure really is horrible. Please take the time to make this work well for you. I would never wish my experience on anyone in the world.

Please write back, I am interested in your story.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

cindylou2 HB User

Thank you for the replies!

Yes, my Doctor did prescribe 1/2 dose for a week or so and then increase to the full dose of 25mg. I guess 4 days is way too soon to decide that I hate this med, LOL.

On a brighter note, while at Walmart tonight I checked my BP (don't really trust those machines, I'd much rather have a nurse check it) but I checked it 3 times and it was 110/80...109/79....and the last check was 106/74!!!! OMGosh if that is close to true, I am thrilled too death.

I'm going to continue the HCTZ even with the sluggish feeling, etc.

I go back to the Doc on Monday to re-check my BP. I'm curious to see if it is down. I feel devoted to giving this a try, I have several Aunts/Uncles who have had strokes and I'm very scared about that.

Thanks again for your very thoughtful reply. --Cyn

Old 07-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

cindylou,

I am so happy to hear you are going to stick with the medication. Your hypertension sounds as if it is labile. That means it can go up and down quickly, and often it is affected easily by various reasons, stress being one of the big ones.

I am the same way, my BP has taken wild swings up and down every day. Keeping it in control is a big job.

Perhaps you had "white coat syndrome" when you were measured at the doctor. That means that some people's BP rises a great deal when at the doctor, but then return to "normal" when you get home.

Do you have a blood pressure cuff at home? It might be a good idea for you to have one. I have learned so much about my BP from taking my own readings, and charting them. Patterns will emerge that will show you when your BP is at it's highs and lows.

It is so smart of you to realize how your family history plays a big part in your own health concerns.

My BP issues started when I was quite young, and the amount of information about BP was not like it is today...I don't know if I would have listened anyway.

One minute, I was snorkeling in the ocean, the next I was in ICU with 4 strokes. Since then I have been totally disabled, and found that supporting others has been my best therapy.

Will you let me know what happens on your Monday appointment? thanks, and have a good weekend.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

writeleft, I am sure you have. But have doctors found any reason why your bp is so hard to control?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hi flutterbye...

My diagnosis is malignant hypertension, which affects 1% of people with hypertension, and is often connected with women who developed toxemia during pregnancy (I did).

It is also linked to kidney failure (which I have). The kidneys are very closely linked to BP, and when both are happening, you have a vicious circle.

It is marked my sudden rise in BPs, enough to cause organ damage, (which it has).

I don't usually mention it when I post to others, as I don't want to ever imply that someone else might have the same kind of hypertension...It does help me understand the fear associated with very high blood pressures though, and has given me tons of experience with BP info, medications, and the consequences.

Hope that helps flutterbye!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
(female)

cindylou2 HB User

I think my BP goes up and down too. I'm going through Peri-Meno and feel so anxious and have anxiety at times. Plus when the grand kids come over, if we have junk food (cook out hot dogs, have chips, etc) I can tell my BP is elevated the next day. My head feels like it's going to burst open!

I don't have a cuff at home but I'm going to purchase one. I'd would like to keep a check on it and see what some of the triggers are, like the stressed out days or too many salty snacks (which we are limiting now) and keep the numbers charted like you do. That's a great idea!

I'm on a mission now! I was so scared when the Nurse looked at me (a little frightened herself) and said it was 190/110. I suddenly recalled my 2 Aunts who had strokes (one was only in her 50's) and an Uncle too!

I do feel it was a little higher than normal at the Doc. But, the nurse checked it later too...and it was still very very high.

My Doctor (she is wonderful) noted that my BP had slowly increased the past several months and with a family history, she said "it's time for medication" and I agreed. But I had not heard of Traim/HCTZ. My Mom take Lisopril and my brother takes Ziac.

Wow, that's very scarey about you being at the Ocean and then at the ICU with 4 stokes. It goes to show, it can and does happen and no one can be too safe when it comes to their BP. I started worrying about mine back in the early Spring when I first had some spikes and terrible headaches.

Do you feel that the machines at the drug stores and Walmart are pretty correct? I try to check it there a few times a week when I'm not near the Doctor's office.

I had a great chat with my older brother tonight, who also as HBP and he said it took him around 2 weeks to adjust to his med. But it was well worth it.

Thank you for your reply and information. It feels awesome to talk to someone that understands and can related.

---Cindy

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-23-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

cindylou2,
Just a little extra info for you...triam/HCTZ is a combo of 2 thiazide diuretics. You are getting HCTZ (hydrochlorthiazide- an old and tried and true drug and one of the the mainstays of hypertension treatment) PLUS triamterine, which is also a diuretic. It is often added to straight plain ol' vanilla HCTZ for its' potassium-sparing potential. Sometimes diuretics can cause loss of potassium so it seems like your doctor wants to prevent this by adding the triamterine.

Hang in there, see how you feel over the next few days. It may be that you are getting too much of a good thing! which may be causing the dizziness and weakness.

Don't get too upset if this drug doesn't work for you right out of the box in terms of side effects. It took MANY of us on this board a lot of trial an error to find the right drug and/or dosages with these meds.

Be patient, work closely with your doctor and I'm sure you'll find what works for you.
zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 07-24-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #10
(female)

cindylou2 HB User

Thank you Zuzu8!

I wasn't sure what type of medication it was, other than a diuretic.

My oldest brother, who also has HBP, took months to find the "right" medication. Finally he did and has had a normal BP ever since.

I didn't know this, triam/HCTZ that I'm taking was a combo of 2.

My BP is lower now and I hope it stays leveled out, I've got to continue to realize the seriousness of HBP and taking meducation regular. I hope the side effects ease up soon. Today is day 5.

Thanks again to everyone!!! Very Very helpful!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Hi flutterbye...

My diagnosis is malignant hypertension, which affects 1% of people with hypertension, and is often connected with women who developed toxemia during pregnancy (I did).

It is also linked to kidney failure (which I have). The kidneys are very closely linked to BP, and when both are happening, you have a vicious circle.

It is marked my sudden rise in BPs, enough to cause organ damage, (which it has).

I don't usually mention it when I post to others, as I don't want to ever imply that someone else might have the same kind of hypertension...It does help me understand the fear associated with very high blood pressures though, and has given me tons of experience with BP info, medications, and the consequences.

Hope that helps flutterbye!
Preeclamsia is not uncommon, I know a few women who developed it during pregnancy, as far as I know they are fine now with no BP issues.

Me on the other hand, both pregnanies I had postpatum hypertension, I was fine before and during and it went up days after giving birth. Now I am surrfering from severe BP isses ever since.

Odd why they cant figure out why this happens to us or how to correct it.

Closed Thread