It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Is there a link between infection and high blood pressure?

I recently had a root canal on May 24th, 2010. It wasn't a run-of-the-mill root canal since he had to drill thru a crown. The dental surgeon came highly recommended, and had already done more than 1000 root canals, so I knew that I was in good hands.

He had to drill out four roots, since it was a molar. I had some breathing problems the entire time, since I had to lie there on my back for two long hours!

He found out that the infection in the roots had spread into my gum and into my jaw. He cleaned up as much of the infection as he could, and then re-sealed the crown. He did a GREAT job! Wonderful. Very little discomfort after the root canal was over. No pain medication needed at all!

I was on antibiotics (Keflex) for several weeks after, to get rid of the gum and jaw infection. I was really anxious that it might take a long time for antibiotics to cure a jaw infection which had been active in my system for years!

That said...... what is unusual is: after the infection was gone, my Beta Blocker, Coreg, was working too well! I have stopped Coreg and am now taking an Ace Inhibitor and I am feeling GREAT!!! Yet.... the Ace Inhibitor is also working too well, so I have stopped that also, and am now only taking Digoxin to treat my Heart Failure and Chronic Persistent Atrial Fibrillation. If my BP shoots back up, I will get back on the Quinapril.

My theory is that my adrenals were hyper active due to the infection in my tooth, gums and jaw and that after the infection was cured, I no longer needed Coreg to suppress my Adrenals. My blood pressure is at very healthy levels all the time, if not too low!

So..... if one's system is battling a tooth root infection, or an infection anywhere else in one's body, perhaps after the infection is cured, the problems with your blood pressure, and heart rate/rhythm, or Immune System disorders, might be somewhat better?

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-25-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: Is there a link between infection and high blood pressure?

That I am not sure, but I do know when I had a bacterial skin infection that I caught from our swimming pool last year. I was on antibiotics for 6 months and I was on no BP medication and my BP was normal. Connection with infection and hypertension, I never heard of it but it make me a little curious.

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 07-25-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
... Connection with infection and hypertension, I never heard of it but it make me a little curious.
Any stress on the body, including infection and allergies, activates the adrenals. When the adrenals are activated, it commonly causes higher blood pressure and can result in palpitations and other heart rate/rhythm disfunction.

Most blood pressure medications attempt to block, or inhibit, this adrenal activity, but blood pressure medications can only do so much.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-25-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

what can we take to calm down the adrenals?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
what can we take to calm down the adrenals?
To me, the best available tool out there, to calm down the adrenals, is Coreg (Carvedilol), a beta blocker.

Unfortunately when you calm the adrenals, it calms the glands in your body that provide hormones that help give us the energy to meet daily demands, especially physical demands.

The Adrenals also help our bodies to deal with allergic reactions, such as Asthma and Sinus problems. So..... calming the Adrenals to protect against High Blood Pressure and Heart Rhythm/Rate problems, also has it's negatives.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
... That said...... what is unusual is: after the infection was gone, my Beta Blocker, Coreg, was working too well! I have stopped Coreg and am now taking an Ace Inhibitor and I am feeling GREAT!!!
For the first time in 23+ years of Heart Failure, I was experiencing swollen ankles and feet. My feet were getting all kinds of puffy. It was pitted swelling. It had me wondering if, somehow my Heart was getting worse.

Well.... tis now going into my 9th day after I stopped Coreg, and the swelling is totally GONE!

Prior to the elimination of that long-resident infection, Coreg never caused swelling in my feet and ankles. Once the infection was gone, Coreg was causing the swelling by also causing an extremely slow heart rate and a very faint, weak heartbeat, and a very low BP.

Seems like it is the simple things of life, like tooth decay, or our diets, that can cause a lot of the day to day miseries that we endure. Always looking for answers in the wrong places!

Quote:
Yet.... the Ace Inhibitor is also working too well, so I have stopped that also, and am now only taking Digoxin to treat my Heart Failure and Chronic Persistent Atrial Fibrillation. If my BP shoots back up, I will get back on the Quinapril.
I am back on the Quinapril. Blood Pressure has gone up for the first time in over a year. Buts..... at the same time, yesterday I over ate VEGGIES!!! I committed the ultimate crime of having a few extra veggie plates during the past few days, with carrots, and squash, and cucumber, and broccoli, and mushrooms; and, almost instantly my average blood pressure shot up from around 110/70 to unhealthy levels!

It really angers me that eating extra really, really healthy foods can cause health problems. But...... with heart failure, my metabolism can only handle what it can handle. The extra veggie plates have to go! Not fair, is it!?

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-26-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Well.... tis now going into my 9th day after I stopped Coreg, and the swelling is totally GONE!
This is my fourth day of taking Coreg 6.25mg again, and my feet and ankles are swelling up again, and my heartbeat is very slow and weak.

I am amazed! I am convinced that my Adrenals were constantly pouring hormones into my blood stream, for as long as I had a long term jaw, root and gum infection; so when I took Coreg up to 24mg, I did not suffer any foot or ankle swelling. Now that the infection is totally gone, I AM getting foot and ankle swelling from the Coreg.

However....... I just read about a Coreg clinical trial completed in Japan (JCHF). There was no difference in clinical outcomes between 2.5 mg, 5 mg, and 20 mg daily of carvedilol.

So..... starting tomorrow, I will be on 3.125mg Coreg, and see what happens. Hopefully the swelling will go down, and my heart will beat a little stronger and better.

I've been struggling with Heart Failure for over 23 years, and it is still a constant work-in-progress, especially after I got close to 60 years of age. It's not like just catching a cold. Heart Failure doesn't just become just one of life's many problems, it almost becomes one's entire existence and life!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

Interesting. I know that with heart issue one needs to take preventi antibiotics before procedures especially dental work I did not last fall before I knew I had an issue and I got sick. It can cause pericarditis. i tell it is always something to keep on top of....

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-02-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Removed Quote, please use "Quick Reply" rather than "Quote Reply"

Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
This is my fourth day of taking Coreg 6.25mg again, and my feet and ankles are swelling up again, and my heartbeat is very slow and weak.
This is now my 4th day of going without any blood pressure medication, whatsoever. Not only is the swelling of my feet and ankles gone, but my legs are also noticeably thinner.

Coreg NEVER did that to me prior to getting rid of that Jaw infection.

Quote:
I am amazed! I am convinced that my Adrenals were constantly pouring hormones into my blood stream, for as long as I had a long term jaw, root and gum infection; so when I took Coreg up to 24mg, I did not suffer any foot or ankle swelling. Now that the infection is totally gone, I AM getting foot and ankle swelling from the Coreg.
I am avoiding ALL known triggers of High Blood Pressure, staying on a very healthy diet, and now that the infection is gone, all of the pieces to my high blood pressure are apparently gone. It's still too early to declare victory over High Blood Pressure. I am very hopeful that I will be able to stay off of blood pressure and heart medications, except for Digoxin, despite having Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation and valve disease.

The formula for surviving Heart Failure is quite simple. Get the blood pressure down to very healthy levels throughout the day, 24 hours per day, without fail. Simple, huh!?

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 08-13-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Closed Thread