It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
(female)

brebre HB User
Blood Pressure NOT Controlled

I currently take Indur 60mg once, Clonidine 0.1 mg Twice, Coreg 3.125mg twice
and hydralazine 25mg twice.

My blood pressure in the morning after meds is around 128-35/65-70.
By the time the evening comes, my blood is running 170/90. I then take my 3 other meds.
I am on 4 meds and my bp is not controlled. I already have no life and can't function with the Coreg and Clonidine. Any suggestions?
I have lost 100 lbs and my bp has not dropped one point. I have CHF, my heart will never heal like this.
I dont know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User
Re: Blood Pressure NOT Controlled

Hi - I just saw another post by you stating that you have been prescribed Tekturna.
I hope you will read the posts of others about this drug. It hasn't been around long.
Are you to take this drug along with your other BP drugs?? Mabent

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
(female)

brebre HB User

Yes I am to take the Tektura along with my other meds. I have read a lot of this forums take on Tekturna. That is why I have not took it yet!!

I am thinking of going to a naturalist and trying Hawthorn. I already can't tolerate the drugs I am on. These Tekturna side effects scare me.
I am very sensitive to drugs.
The doctor is weaning me off of the clonidine and wanted to add Norvasc and Tekturna which would be 5 blood pressure meds.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-01-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 07-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

If your BP is resistant to drugs and as high as it is, do you think it's wise to go off them for hawthorn?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebre View Post
... By the time the evening comes, my blood is running 170/90.
Blood Pressure normally rises during the day, but lowers (called dipping) during the late evening. Blood Pressure that continues to go up during the late evening, is a strong sign of Insulin Resistance, which is very common with Heart Failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebre posted on 07/14/2010
As a heart failure patient I think I will try the
Mediterranean diet or the Weston Price diet. Both have been shown to reduce cardiac events.
Heart Failure patients' metabolism cannot handle a normal diets. Heart Failure restricts the metabolism from processing calories of any type, which is one of the main reasons why Heart Failure patients become Insulin Resistant or Diabetic.

Can you estimate how many calories you consume at any one meal, or for an entire day? Can you estimate the percentage of Carbs, Proteins and Fats?

I have been struggling with Heart Failure for over 23 years and am doing much better than expected, mostly due to a low calorie, frequent eating diet of 7 to 8 meals per day, totally around 1500 calories total for the day!

Quote:
I am on 4 meds and my bp is not controlled. I already have no life and can't function with the Coreg and Clonidine. Any suggestions?
As long as one's metabolism is messed up, or dysfunction, all of the king's horses (drugs, supplements, etc) and all of the king's men (doctors) will never be able to put a Heart Failure patient's Heart together again. Diet is the answer, in my non-professional, humble opinion.

Quote:
I have lost 100 lbs and my bp has not dropped one point. I have CHF, my heart will never heal like this.
I dont know what to do.
Excellent reduction in weight! Way to go!

That must have been very difficult for you to do. And..... it's got to be very difficult feeling that the weight loss has not reduced blood pressure. What a nasty disappointment. Are you sure that your blood pressure hasn't improved at all?

At least you have reduced your weight by 100 pounds. That is not easy, and is commendable!

But..... no matter what your weight, if you are consuming more calories than your body can handle in any one meal, or for the day, your blood pressure will be negatively effected. I am surprised, though, that your blood pressure has not gone down at all. How often have you taken your blood pressure. I've taken mine an average of 6+ times a day since 1998 to make sure of any progress or problems with my blood pressure.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 07-30-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
(female)

brebre HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
If your BP is resistant to drugs and as high as it is, do you think it's wise to go off them for hawthorn?
I wasn't going off the meds . I wanted to try Hawthorn instead of Tekturna.
That is why I was going to a cardiology holistic doctor cause I know Hawthorn would interfere with some of my meds.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I agree with FlutterBy that it would be very risky to try Hawthorn (?sp) at this time.
I also take 4 BP drugs (HCTZ, Coreg (cardivedilol), enalapril, amlodipine.
I had tried amlodipine once before, but stopped because it caused my legs to swell. It still is causing my legs to swell, but my cardiologist said the side effect is O.K., since taking this combination has lowered my BP --finally--to within normal limits.
However, sometimes it spikes. I think I am now taking the correct drugs, at least for now. My advice would be to keep trying until you find the right combination. Do you take a diuretic?? Also, I take the enalapril and carvedilol twice a day.

Last edited by mabent; 07-30-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: to add something

Old 07-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
(female)

brebre HB User

Machaon;

I do have Insulin resistance. I know you are very much on diet to treat CHF.
In the past 5 weeks I have lost 12 lbs cause I don't have an appetite. The upset stomach from the Coreg makes me feel like vomiting 24/7 all the time.

In the beginning I tried green juicing but I couldn't tolerate anything.
Maybe that is why my blood pressure is not going down.. poor nutrition.

I used to weigh 312 lbs and I went on a low carb diet. My blood pressure was 220/120. I reduced down to 212 and my blood pressure was 215/118 that was when I was diagnosed with CHF and Cardiomyapathy. I now weight 200lbs and last night my bp read 180/95. Something is wrong . I am on 4 blood pressure pills.

My friend says maybe it is anxiety preventing the meds from working cause I feel so bad. I do admit being depressed and will cry at the drop of a hat. Mainly because I have a 7 yo and can't do anything with her.

I start taking my bp at 0800. 0800 it is 160/96- I take meds and it runs around 120-130/70-75. Then around 2pm it starts going up and up until is is around 160-170/95 and think I take my evening meds.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-31-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
(female)

brebre HB User

mabent;

My doctor didn't want to give me a diuretic right now cause my creatinine is at upper limits. THey gave me a dye during a MRI and my creatinine never came back normal.
So 4 blood pressure meds is not a lot?

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-31-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I agree it's a lot. But I am 5'4 109 pounds and my blood pressure is out of control as well. I think losing weight helps a lot, they say for each pound of weight our blood has to travel a mile. So it makes sense to lose weight.

But as for me, weight is not an issue, and it may not be 100% with you either. I am currently on two meds, have been on 3 in the past. Sometimes it just works out that way. I am pretty bitter about it as well, but I don't want to have a stroke, I am sure you don't either.

You have other health issues that might make your blood pressure the way it is.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Hi again - having to take 4 BP meds to control blood pressure is a lot, but many people need that many. I'm wondering if the timing of your blood pressure meds is off or something like that? Do you eat much salt? (I have a hard time cutting out salting my food!). The first thing my cardiologist said to me was that I was eating too much salt - even before he knew I did!
Have you considered getting a second opinion, or have you already done that?
Mabent

Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebre View Post
Machaon;

I do have Insulin resistance. I know you are very much on diet to treat CHF.
Insulin Resistance results in a Metabolic Imbalance Big-Time! High Blood Pressure is caused, in most cases by Metabolic Imbalance, or Metabolic Dysfunction.

Almost all blood pressure medications try to block or inhibit hormones that are over-produced by the various body glands and organs.

One of the most damaging, disruptive and dangerous hormones, when over-produced by the body, is Insulin!

Excess Insulin causes Metabolic Imbalance Big-Time.

There is only one good way to have one's body effectively handle Insulin, and that is thru DIET! In fact, a diet targeting Insulin Resistance is also excellent in treating many MANY other health problems.

Quote:
In the past 5 weeks I have lost 12 lbs cause I don't have an appetite. The upset stomach from the Coreg makes me feel like vomiting 24/7 all the time.
As long as one's metabolism is not functioning properly, one's medications can cause all kinds of unexpected and nasty symptoms.

However...... I really am sorry that you are experiencing an upset stomach and are nauseated. I hope that, by now, you are feeling much better.

I ran the gamut of symptoms over the 23 years of struggling with Heart Failure, among other nasty health problems, so I can relate to the misery you have endured.

In my case, going on a small meal, low calorie, frequent eating balanced diet turned my life around and greatly improved my health.

Quote:
In the beginning I tried green juicing but I couldn't tolerate anything.

Maybe that is why my blood pressure is not going down.. poor nutrition.
You might even be on an excellent diet right now. Buts...... if you are consuming too many calories in one meal, or for the entire day, for your unique, particular body, then your metabolism will stay messed up.

Each one of us has different calorie limits. What is good for one, is not necessarily good for another. I gauge my calorie limits via my blood pressure charts. If I eat too many calories over the course of a day, it will show up in my blood pressure readings. Buts....... changes in the blood pressure, because of too many calories, doesn't necessarily happen overnight. Sometimes it takes a few days of "excessive" calories for excessive calories to show up in one's blood pressure.

Plus.... there are many MANY triggers of Higher Blood Pressure, so finding the root cause of Higher Blood Pressure can be a complex and difficult task.

Regardless of the triggers, or the meds, or the exercise, a small meal, low calorie, frequent eating, balanced diet WILL improve the Blood Pressure over time, IMHO.

Quote:
I used to weigh 312 lbs and I went on a low carb diet. My blood pressure was 220/120. I reduced down to 212 and my blood pressure was 215/118 that was when I was diagnosed with CHF and Cardiomyapathy. I now weight 200lbs and last night my bp read 180/95.
How many calories per meal? How many meals? How many calories over the entire day? What are the percentages of proteins, carbs and fats in your diet?

You have had amazing success dieting! Nice going! It shows determination and will power on your part. You should be commended and rewarded for having the courage and determination to diet. Dieting is a very difficult thing for any of us to do! You should feel very proud of yourself!

However...... the rules of the Blood Pressure/Insulin Resistance game dictate that you follow your own unique metabolism's rules, and no one else's. It is not an easy game to play. However, if one follows a basic diet targeting Insulin Resistance, victory can be had over, not only Higher Blood Pressure, but over many other health problems. What saved my life and health, even at close to 70 years of age, having suffered from Heart Failure for over 23 years, was the diet targeting Insulin Resistance by Sheri Barke, MPH, RD of the UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center.

Quote:
Something is wrong. I am on 4 blood pressure pills.

My friend says maybe it is anxiety preventing the meds from working cause I feel so bad.
You already have a diagnosis of a major health problem, Insulin Resistance. You might consider trying to heal your Insulin Resistance before trying to treat an intangible thing like anxiety.

Quote:
I do admit being depressed and will cry at the drop of a hat. Mainly because I have a 7 yo and can't do anything with her.
Sorry about your depression. Depression is very difficult to endure. I hate it when I get down and feeling blue, and have the feelings of despair. I hope that you are able to lift yourself out of depression.

I think that anyone in your situation would feel depressed. And.... of course, depression and anxiety can also worsen health problems, like High Blood Pressure. Buts...... depression and anxiety are not the root causes of High Blood Pressure, IMHO.

How do you feel about a diet targeting Insulin Resistance? If you consider trying it, it might be a good idea to check with your doctor first to see if it would be proper and appropriate for you to do. After all, I am just a spirit floating around on the Internet, without any medical training or experience, so you MUST consider the source before acting on any health tip or health information.

Take care...... be well....... feel good about what you have already accomplished. You have come a long way, and through your success in dieting, have proved your determination and strength and love for your daughter. Let's hope that you will also soon be able to get that Blood Pressure under control.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 07-31-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
(female)

brebre HB User

On the next appt my doctor is supposed to rule out other causes of my hypertension like endocrine, etc. I do have excess insulin.

I am very willing to try a insulin resistance diet. In fact, that is how I lost the 100 lbs. Right now though I am eating about 400-500 calories over 2 'meals'. I weigh 192 pounds. I just don't have a appetite right now.
I usually eat protein as that is all my stomach can tolerate right now.
The Coreg gives me 24/7 heartburn and nausea. Doctor says those symptoms should get better....

I am unable to exercise right now because of the dizziness and lightheadedness.

Thanks for responding

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-01-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Hi again, Brebre -
Have you ever thought about having a consultation with a nutritionalist?
Have you told your doctor that you are eating mostly protein? Macheon has had success with diet changes; it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask for a referral to a nutritionalist to help you with your diet? You could hopefully find a person who specializes in insulin resistance... Mabent

Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
(female)

brebre HB User

Doc has now put me on Bystolic and Norvasc. We shall see.
I am off Coreg and Clonidine. How I wish it was a better way.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-16-2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Removed Quote, please use "Quick Reply" rather than "Quote Reply"

Closed Thread