It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

LCGirl HB User
Better to Take BP Meds at Night or Morning?

Is it better to take BP meds at night or in the morning? It seems like my BP will be lower in the evening and sometimes normal after I've taken my med (at 10PM) but during the day I will be in the 120s - 130s, sometimes Systolic and low-mid 80s Dystolic during the day.

I am taking 5 mg of Amlodipine at 10PM every night. I am wondering if I am wasting the benefit of the med by taking it at night. Should I take it in the morning when my BP will probably rise during the day? It's just the evening is more consistent for me for taking the med as I may or may not be up at the same time on the weekend as I am on weekdays. They say you're supposed to take it at the same time every day, right? If I choose a mid-day time I am afraid I may forget as I'm going through my day.

Also I hear the meds can make you feel drowsy or out of it. I usually go to sleep shortly after taking the med and sometimes I do feel like I'm spinning a bit when I lay down but could be combo with being tired. I just go to sleep.

Thoughts?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
(male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User
Re: Better to Take BP Meds at Night or Morning?

I prefer taking meds in the morning because it's easier for me to manage my meds that way. When you're out with a group of people at night, you don't want to stop and take your meds -- especially if you're going out drinking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Without any external action, BP gets elevated just before sun rise. This is the time when more heart attacks are produced.
However if you read the information on this particular meds you will see that:
1) Its half life is more than 30 hours, that means that you will be anyway protected.
2) Besides the BP lowering effect, also anti angina effects, therefore if you have any angina symptom during the day, try to take it in the morning.

Jesus

Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
(female)

LCGirl HB User

While it took over a month for someone to reply, I figured out on my own that taking my med at night works best for me! Thanks for letting me know the half-life of this drug, good to know.

Closed Thread