It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
(male)

jal3606 HB User
what are the side effects of stopping betablockers

What symptoms will you experience by stopping betablockers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: what are the side effects of stopping betablockers

In July 2008, four days after I stopped my Beta Blocker, Coreg, I've experienced Higher Blood Pressure, Chest Pains, more erratic heartbeat and labored breathing. I got back on it.

I just stopped taking Coreg yesterday and am experiencing some higher blood pressure and a more erratic heartbeat. But, this is only the 2nd day of stopping. OTOH, I have more energy, less mental confusion and a slightly increased ability to exercise.

I expect to stay off of my blood pressure meds, and just take Digoxin and Coumadin from now on (I hope, I hope!)

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-11-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
I just stopped taking Coreg yesterday and am experiencing some higher blood pressure and a more erratic heartbeat. But, this is only the 2nd day of stopping. OTOH, I have more energy, less mental confusion and a slightly increased ability to exercise.
This is now my third day of, not only stopping Coreg, but also Lasix and Quinapril. Last night my heartbeat was nice and regular and strong. I had some mild pressure in my chest.

Today's BP readings were:
  • 1am 119/68
  • 6am 114/61
  • 8am 117/68
  • 1pm 115/65
  • 4pm 119/71

Feeling pretty good. I was able to do a full set of exercises for the first time in quite a while. Now..... mind you, this time of stopping my Beta Blocker, I was on a very low dose, so I should not be surprised if the side effects from stopping aren't too severe.

Now to see if I can maintain a very healthy blood pressure, and heart disease, thru a very healthy diet, without having to take meds like Beta Blockers that can have almost disabling side effects. It's too early to expect victory yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal3606 View Post
Someone who is taking a significant dosage of a Beta Blocker could expect some rather nasty problems for a week or more, after stopping their medication, in my humble non-professional opinion (IMHNPO). And..... if the medication is required for lowering the person's blood pressure, and/or for their health, then stopping one's medications could do more harm than good.

This should, at least, give some hope to others fighting against High Blood Pressure, if someone like me can achieve healthy blood pressure, all hours of the day and night, thru a healthy diet. I am close to 70 years of age, with several major illnesses. I suffered from a chronically high blood pressure average of around 152/95, day after day, 24 hours per day, for six long, health worsening years from 1998 thru 2003.

I would never recommend that someone stop taking their medication. But..... before anyone should ever consider stopping a blood pressure or heart medication, prescribed by a doctor, they should make sure that they were on the healthiest possible diet.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-13-2010 at 06:33 AM.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Today is Day 4 of stopping not only Coreg, my Beta Blocker, but also of stopping Quinapril, my ACE, and Lasix, my diuretic.

Sluggish this morning with a soft heartbeat. That could be a combination of withdrawal symptoms and my eating too much yesterday. I am experiencing an increased appetite since stopping the meds.

No significant increase in Heart Rhythm or Heart Rate problems. Some slight increases in mild chest pains last night, but no big deal, and did not last too long. Didn't have to take nitro.

Blood Pressure Readings so far today:
  • 3am 122/67
  • 6am 108/58

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 07-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
(female)

jamie007 HB Userjamie007 HB User

Quote:
In July 2008, four days after I stopped my Beta Blocker, Coreg, I've experienced Higher Blood Pressure, Chest Pains, more erratic heartbeat and labored breathing. I got back on it.

I expect to stay off of my blood pressure meds, and just take Digoxin and Coumadin from now on (I hope, I hope!)
machon, I'm curious as to why you are getting off coreg? You use to love coreg or am I confusing you with somene else? I hpoe I hope for you too that you can manage without it. I know how crazy one can feel while getting off beta blockers, worse then anything that I remember anyways...like one lonnnnng anxiety attack! when I got Metoprolol my Dr. gave me low doses of valium to help keep me calm. I took 2 to 3 mgs a day till the symptoms subsided and even after that because they seem to come back out of the blue and thee worst was waking up with adrenaline rushes, uggggh...I pray for a great recovery off that med!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:

sorry! I need to learn to look at the dates on these posts!
How did it go anyways getting off coreg and lasix and the other?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
How did it go anyways getting off coreg and lasix and the other?
Today starts day 267 of me being on 50mg Coreg and 10mg Quinapril per day and 146th day of taking Lasix 40mg on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

This is the most stable my medicines have been since having Heart Failure and High Blood Pressure 25+ years ago.

I had changed my meds, and tried to get off my meds, and tried increasing my meds, and tried decreasing my meds over and over again. I've made a lot of mistakes. I've made many bad decisions.

I finally decided to follow the guidelines and wisdom from the medical industry. The all-around best medications for Heart Failure are Coreg, an Ace Inhibitor and a diuretic. So, I take Coreg, Quinapril and Lasix, whether I like it or not! For the very first time, I have stayed on this combination for 146 days, and have stayed on Coreg 50mg and Quinapril 10mg daily for 267 days, or about 9 months. It's the best decision that I have ever made because my health and heart failure has considerably improved over the past 9 months.

These meds sap my energy and strength, and make me lethargic, especially in the morning, but I do feel pretty good, and can do significant physical exercise, and I am feeling much better than I did. So..... it is all good!

Buts...... I am retired, with no children left in our home. For someone else, who had to work, or had other responsibilities, it would certainly make their life more difficult dealing with the tiring and muscle-weakening effects of these types of medications.

Quote:
I know how crazy one can feel while getting off beta blockers, worse then anything that I remember anyways...like one lonnnnng anxiety attack!
Getting off medications has always caused nasty problems for me. I've finally decided that the medications truly were good for my health and for my survival from Heart Failure. I just wish that the meds didn't come with side effects.

Quote:
when I got Metoprolol my Dr. gave me low doses of valium to help keep me calm. I took 2 to 3 mgs a day till the symptoms subsided and even after that because they seem to come back out of the blue and thee worst was waking up with adrenaline rushes, uggggh...I pray for a great recovery off that med!
What meds are you on right now, and what dosages? Are you still taking valium? How are you doing with your current medications?

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
(male)

NSSnacho HB User

Machoan: I remember you saying that you have short of breath form medicines or form some type of fruits (Bananas) or food.Do you still have that? Can you please elaborate little more.
I have high blood pressure and I take 5 mg Bisoprolol fumarate at 7 am in the morning, Micradis/HCT 80/12.5 at 3 pm , and 1 mg Terzosin at night, and I think I have similar issue with SOB. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSSnacho View Post
Machoan: I remember you saying that you have short of breath form medicines or from some type of fruits (Bananas) or food.Do you still have that? Can you please elaborate little more.
You must be referring to posts of mine from quite a while ago.

Back around 2003-2004 I was having problems with SOB, especially at night after eating carbs. I was also suffering from very High Blood Pressure, which got much worse at night. By researching nocturnal sob and nocturnal high blood pressure connected with carbs on very informative and helpful HealthBoard subjects, and doing my own research, I was able to find out that I was suffering from a pre-Diabetes condition called Insulin Resistance.

I also had major problems with SOB because of a nasty interaction between Verapamil and Digoxin. It took me about a year of breathing problems to finally wean myself off of the Calcium Channel Blocker Verapamil because of the interaction with Digoxin. Buts..... I am not sure if this is what you mean?

I still have SOB problems if I eat consume too many calories, expecially fast-acting carbs, during the day, but most of the time I behave myself.

Quote:
I have high blood pressure and I take 5 mg Bisoprolol fumarate at 7 am in the morning, Micradis/HCT 80/12.5 at 3 pm , and 1 mg Terzosin at night, and I think I have similar issue with SOB. Thanks.
What do you think about starting your own new thread and documenting there all of your meds and symptoms and health problems, and see if you can get better exposure, leading to, perhaps, some helpful tips?

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 07-07-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
(male)

NSSnacho HB User

Thanks Machaon for the quick reply. I meant the reply you posted a couple of months ago. You mentioned that if you eat banana, you would get Short of Breath. This is exactly same issue with me.

In the mean time as you suggested, I posted a new thread for my question and hope I get some help or feedback. Thanks again.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSSnacho View Post
Thanks Machaon for the quick reply. I meant the reply you posted a couple of months ago. You mentioned that if you eat banana, you would get Short of Breath. This is exactly same issue with me.

In the mean time as you suggested, I posted a new thread for my question and hope I get some help or feedback. Thanks again.
NSS what is your new question about? I've been following this thread and lost track of what you are inquiring about? I'm just curious is all because i've been on every beta blocker there is and right now on Betaxolol 2.5 mgs and having very good results (knocking on wood)..so just curious if it had to the bananas..

Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
(female)

NSS is it about the beta blockers? I'm just curious.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-08-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
(male)

NSSnacho HB User

HI Jamie007: It may be because of the Beta Blocker or it could be something else. I posted new thread abotu that and was trying to find out if anybody else using same or similar medicine had experienced such SOB.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
(female)

wELL I had sob from the Bystolic when I first started it. I sometimes get it when I take a valium even. I still get it when I go upstairs at times but it does seem intermitten. I'm taking 2.5 mgs of Betaxolol. I also get where I cannot take in a deep breath and i have to wait for it to come and as soon as it does come I get it right back again. I dont know why some days it is worse and some days it is not noticeable..hope this helps with anything.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
(male)

tdwight HB User

Quote:
I was taking Atenolol, 50mg/day! After every refill, I started taking only half the required doe until my Dr. stopped renewing my script. At that point, I had about a 3 month supply of full dose saved up. I then only took a half dose every other day, then every third day, so on, until they were all gone...

I sometimes feel a flutter or wake up from a 'stress dream', but I have myself on a high potassium, low sodium diet that seems to be working...

Bananas, spinach, low-sodium V8 juice is GREAT... potassium
almonds & walnuts for magnesium
salmon & tuna for omega-3s
pork & turkey for their sedative properties (L-triptophene)
beer or wine

Drink lots of water and I take an 88mg aspirin occasionally to thin the blood... Yes, thick blood raises BP!!! Water and aspirin thins it out!

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-16-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Please don't recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread