It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User
lisinopril vs metropolol

hey guys...question for the group. had my 3 month checkup yesterday...went in anxious as hell...had a pretty big panic attack/white coats...bp was 138/70...so not too bad, right? normal at home...so i feel pretty good about things. doc was not worried at all and seemed more concerned about the anxiety vs the bp. continues to recommend either xanax or klonopin - which i guess is longer release. i'll think about it.

one question i had for him though was whethere a beta blocker might be more appropriate...i've heard they can help take the "edge" off similar to anti-anxiety meds...i realize they slow the heart and that was his main concern. as you guys know, i'm an avid triathlete...resting pulse in the 40s. he didn't want it to go much lower and said that i might have difficulty training in zone 4 and 5 on a beta blocker...and they usually don't recommend them in well conditioned runners. sounds logical to me...but thought i'd ask every here who has taken them. i still think there is a med out there that could control my bp a little better...there probably is...and it's called xanax. ha! he thought i could trade in my lisinopril 20 mg for a 25 mg metopolol or even 1/2 pill a day. that sound reasonable? doubt i'll try it, but i am curious if it would be better for how i'm designed.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: lisinopril vs metropolol

Metoprolol doesn't just slow your heartbeat, it keeps it from going up when you need it to...such as when doing a triathelon. So when you need that extra kick during the run, and your body is pumping out adrenaline to give it to you, the metoprolol will nullify the effects of the adrenaline and you won't get a kick. Period.

It is not for the athletic. Stick to the lisinopril. I've been on it for many many years and it keeps the BP solid. I think you'll find you won't like the metoprolol and it will badly affect your performance.

It is used with performers(acting type) for stage fright because they don't need an adrenaline kick but if you do triathelons, you need that kick and if you can't get it, what will happen to you?

I took metoprolol to control pre-ventricular beats, which it did but I also couldn't walk up a hill without heavy heart beats as my heart couldn't beat as fast as it wanted to to get me up a steep hill. So it beat really hard and slow....and I mean really hard. It also means you can't treat asthma or allergic problems as it blocks bronchodilators. I found a calcium channel blocker that controlled the PVC's and got off the darn stuff..hated it.

Don't take it unless you absolutely have to.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
(male)

grill master d HB User

I am a 48 yr. old male

I have been lurking in this fourm for about 6 mo.now and have learned lots,
thank you fourm....
For about 5 yr.....I take both of these meds20 mg lisinopril once a day & 100 mg metoprol twice a day & seem that metoprol at that dose (which does keep my bp down most of the time) has runied my life...ton of anxiety plus all the other things that come with it's side effects,fatigue,stomach pain confusion headaches forgetfulness etc... just stay away from it....
next week i go back for a check up and thinking about pushing him for disabaility( also have 4 bad back disks + other things falling apart)
this med is a bad thing ... i used to be so active now i just chase my tail in a circle...so to speak............good luck to you

GRILL

Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
(male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User

great thanks guys - i figured as much. doc says different people react to meds in different ways...but beta blockers never sounded much fun to me. should just count my blessinga that a little lisinopril (well 20mg ain't that little) keeps things under wraps. maybe i'll pop a xanax now and then if i really get panicky...just hate to start down that road. thanks again.

Closed Thread