It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
(female)

gloriak_55 HB User
Can Anyone Tell Me About Verapamil ER?

Well I had to make a call into the Dr because the Prapolonol sent me into a depression. Could not even make it into work and 36 hours of on and off again crying. I suffer from some mild depression anyway and some meds really send me into a downward spriral and this was one of them after being on it for a week. I wanted to tough it out but the depression was to severe. I cannot get into see the Dr until the 25th but he called in a prescript of Verapamil EG 120 mg. I see in your post that you use to take this. Can you tell me about it and why you got off of it? Thanks

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-19-2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Please address your questions to all members.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Machaon, Can You Tell Me About Verapamil ER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriak_55 View Post
... but he called in a prescript of Verapamil EG 120 mg. I see in your post that you use to take this.
I never took Verapamil EG, or Verapamil ER. I assume you mean Verapamil ER, which is the extrended release version of this Calcium Channel Blocker.

I never took the extended release version, but I did take the regular Verapamil for over ten years.

Quote:
Can you tell me about it and why you got off of it? Thanks
I did feel somewhat better, and more energetic, while taking Verapamil. During the time that I was on it, it enabled me to lower my very high blood pressure down to lower levels, that were still much too high.

However, I eventually stopped taking Verapamil after researching it on the Internet because of two main reasons.
  1. It was NOT the recommended medication for Heart Failure and Insulin Resistance.
    -
  2. I could not eat or drink anything with significant levels of Calcium within 2 1/2 hours before or after I took Verapamil.
    If I did, or if I took a vitamin/mineral supplement that contained calcium, I suffered from an erratic heartbeat, shortness of breath and chest pains.

So..... I replaced Verapamil with Coreg, a Beta Blocker which was recommended for Heart Failure and Insulin Resistance, and which did not have the same level of interaction with dietary calcium.

I don't know what the interaction is with the extended version of Verapamil and dietary calcium. It makes sense to me that Verapamil, a Calcium Channel Blocker, would have an interaction with Dietary Calcium since Verapamil attempts to restrict or block the activity of the Heart's Calcium Channel.

I finally discovered that the BEST blood pressure lowering medicine was DIET. A balanced, low calorie diet has done wonders for my blood pressure and health and has allowed me to get off of ALL blood pressure medications for ten days now, without any significant increase in blood pressure.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-19-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread