It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User
Question about Cozaar

(MOD changed the title of my post so pardon the style. Anyone else feel free to comment)

Hey Zoids, (sorry, had to do that after your last post about quaffing the beers ;-))

I still lurk but don't post frequently. Would like your input. So, I have been on Cozaar 50 mg. and HCTZ 12.5 for a while and it has been keeping things at under 140/90 anyway. Lately, readings have gone up and even doubling my dose of Cozaar isn't helping. Doctor tried enalopril, which worked, but then I started getting muscle cramps so we stopped that. My doctor wants to try doubling the HCTZ, but my blood sugar has been going up lately and so has my cholesterol, so she's concerned that the HCTZ is causing those numbers to go up.

As it stands, ACEs seem to have side effects for me, though they work great! Cozaar WAS effective, but no more. Beta Blockers give me a heart rate of 45 and don't do a thing for my pressure. I am running out of choices. I haven't tried CCBs but they seem to get a bad rap on this board. My diet is much better than the average American (Bran cereal for breakfast plus one egg; tuna and yogurt for lunch/snacks and a modest portioned dinner) I still drink beer or wine, but at the same time, my pressures are 125/80 after 2 drinks and they stay that way till bedtime. Do you have any thoughts oh Senior Veteran? ;-)

Regards, Brenden.

Last edited by Exegesis; 09-04-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Please address your questions to all members.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User
Re: Question about Cozaar

You are not running out of possibilities .. your doctor has many other ARA, ACE and BB to try.... in addition to CCB that works OK for some people ... but I suggest you to keep a low sodium diet ... and also if your cholesterol is high a low cholesterol diet.

Unfortunately many cereals have a lot of sodium, in fact all what I has been able to find, and 1 egg a day is far too much for cholesterol.

Good Luck.

Jesus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
(MOD changed the title of my post so pardon the style. Anyone else feel free to comment)

Hey Zoids, (sorry, had to do that after your last post about quaffing the beers ;-))
Oh man...... what I wouldn't do to be able to down those pitchers of beer and buckets of wings again! The only question would be, How Hot the Wings! They used to put a baggie of ice right into our pitcher to keep it cold.

Why isn't life like that!? Why can't the best medication for High Blood Pressure and Heart Failure and Diabetes be a pitcher of beer and "Fire Hot" chicken wings, instead of Coreg, or Quinapril, etc. UGH!

Quote:
... I have been on Cozaar 50 mg. and HCTZ 12.5 for a while and it has been keeping things at under 140/90 anyway. Lately, readings have gone up and even doubling my dose of Cozaar isn't helping.
I feel that, increasing the dosage of any medication has limited additional positive effects, and mostly just cause increases in nasty symptoms.

Since each class of blood pressure medication attempts to block or inhibit different body hormones (with the exception of drugs like Diuretics, HCTZ), it makes more sense, to me, to combine small doses of different blood pressure meds, rather than increasing the dose of just one.

Diuretics, like HCTZ, lower blood pressure by limiting the fluid in the blood and arteries, but have all kinds of nasty side effects. It's the same as the fluid in a water hose. Limit the water flowing through a water hose, and you limit the pressure in that water hose.

My blood pressure has been under control now for years, after being chronically high for many years. Before.... It seemed sooooo very difficult to get my blood pressure down to healthy levels, with a minimum of medication. Now it all seems so very simple, yet so very hard to do.

I have found out that, in my case, there is a direct and conclusive link between unhealthy diet, unhealthy metabolism and unhealthy blood pressure levels.

In order to keep my blood pressure down at healthy levels almost all the time, 24 hours per day, I need to have a reasonable balance of proteins, carbs and fats, and I need to limit the calories in each meal and for the day, PERIOD.

How one finds out how many calories they can consume can be "measured" by using the blood pressure gauge. If I consume too many calories, at any one meal, or for the day, my blood pressure goes up.

My blood pressure average for all of 2010 has been 121/69 based on 956 readings. Back as early as 2003, my blood pressure average was 151/96 based on 1032 readings. That means that, in 2003, my blood pressure all day long, and all night long averaged around 151/96. Why I am still alive, or hadn't stroked out, was just the luck of the draw.

I have found that, the proper diet for an individual cannot be found in any book or on the Internet. One has to find their own blood pressure lowering diet by tracking their calories and measuring the results through their blood pressure gauge. It is a lot of work and effort and giving up a lot of the fun foods. Only someone with life threatening health problems, like me, is ever going to be willing to go through what I go through each and every day, in order to keep my blood pressure down at very healthy levels. It is NOT fun. Buts.... OTOH, I do enjoy my six meals per day.

Also...... exercise, exercise...... and more exercise than that. The more exercise the better!

Quote:
Doctor tried enalopril, which worked, but then I started getting muscle cramps so we stopped that. My doctor wants to try doubling the HCTZ, but my blood sugar has been going up lately and so has my cholesterol, so she's concerned that the HCTZ is causing those numbers to go up.
There are countless millions going through the same thing as you. Buts...... IMHO.... as long as the metabolism is not healthy, and as long as there are unbalanced hormones raging through one's body as a result of an inappropriate diet, manipulating medications and their dosages is just like play Russian Roulette. How does anyone know how a medication will work when that medication is encountering the complex levels of the 300+ body hormones? What happens when enalopril encounters the various different levels of body hormones at 9am? At 1pm? At 6pm? At midnight? Body metabolism, controlled via the Circadian Rhythm, is in a constant state of flux.

Quote:
As it stands, ACEs seem to have side effects for me, though they work great! Cozaar WAS effective, but no more. Beta Blockers give me a heart rate of 45 and don't do a thing for my pressure. I am running out of choices. I haven't tried CCBs but they seem to get a bad rap on this board.
CCBs get both bad raps and good raps by your fellow patients on HealthBoards. CCBs also get both bad raps and good raps within the health care community. Who to believe? What to believe?

I was on Verapamil for a long, long time. It was my most effect blood pressure medication and made me feel better. Buts..... it came with all kinds of baggage. I stopped taking it a couple of years ago; and switched to Coreg.

Quote:
My diet is much better than the average American (Bran cereal for breakfast plus one egg; tuna and yogurt for lunch/snacks and a modest portioned dinner) I still drink beer or wine, but at the same time, my pressures are 125/80 after 2 drinks and they stay that way till bedtime. Do you have any thoughts oh Senior Veteran? ;-)

Regards, Brenden.
First of all, since I am not a medical professional, nor have I any medical education or training, what I have learned about my own blood pressure and health problems might not be beneficial for you or anyone else. I have my own share of setbacks and questions and am constantly battling against my debilitating Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation and Insulin Resistance, while at the same time doing everything that I can do to maintain healthy levels of blood pressure all the time, 24 hours per day.

A 1/2 cup of low sodium, bran cereal with 1-2 ounces of soy or almond milk, plus one egg, sounds pretty good to me.

Regarding the tuna and yogurt? My own personal choice of seafood is a filet of low salt, low mercury Tilapia. Tuna is known to have an unhealthy level of mercury and other harmful things. Yogurt, for me, is too high in calories and sugar, so I don't eat Yogurt even though I love it. I also won't eat sugar-free foods, so I've got to stay all natural.

The beer and wine I cannot have because of the alcohol calories, and because of the additives. Alcohol is great at lowering the blood pressure over the short term, but after the body has to deal with the additives and alcohol-calories, the metabolism and the blood pressure can suffer.

I eat six meals a day at present. My menu keeps changing every week as I try to make it more enjoyable. My current target calorie for the week is 1300 calories (after fiber calories are discounted). That averages out to a little over 200 calories per meal. I wish I could do 300 calories per meal. Buts..... I can't. I'm stuck in this aging, dilapidated body and don't make the rules.

I hope that you can benefit from something that I posted and I apologize for the size of my post.

Take care..... be well; and best of health and luck to you!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 09-08-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Hi Machaon,

I always enjoy reading your posts since you have spent so much time and energy on this issue. I am going to see what else I can try. I know I could be a bit more strict with my diet, but I am at least not consuming too much junk and I try to eat modest portions. I have never noticed any corealation between what I eat and my pressures. I have noticed that PVCs come on after too much food, so I eat modestly. I have noticed that my morning readings drop about 5 points a half an hour after I eat, and then continue to rise until midafternoon. If I have a glaas of wine before dinner and one after, my readings drop 10 to 15 points. I assume it is the vasodilating properties of alcohol, so I was thinking maybe a CCB might work for me. My mother takes 5 mg. of Norvasc a day. Her pressure was 210/110 for a long time. Now she gets 140/80.

Keep up the good work Zoids!

Regards, Brenden.

Closed Thread