It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

Paula 47 HB User
What can I do to eliminate my white coat syndrome?

I have recently developed white coat syndrome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: What can I do to eliminate my white coat syndrome?

My mom has a blood pressure machine at home. She took it in to the doctor when she got it to make sure it was reading correctly. She also takes it in during her regular visits.

The doctor allows her to take her blood pressure at home and keep a log (most also have some good memory as well) that she brings in on her doctor's visits. The doctor will review her information and discuss it with her. He is very understanding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
(male)

s0c9 HB User

I just went thru that this am at my doctors.
Have been tracking my BP for months at home. So, BP measured this am = 118/78.

Went to Dr office [annual physical] and it was 142/92. I haven't had a BP reading in that range since FEB. But this time I took my own BP machine in. It read 150/94. That kind of validated the "white coat syndrome". Dr said it's not that high and not to worry about it as my trend (I chart the stuff out) is in the 120/80 or lower range.

Good thing is that my own machine was a little higher than their manual process, so it validated that my tracking history is a pretty good. I also know that I have the white coat syndrome - for no apparent reason - and I need not worry about it.

You may be in the same boat

Last edited by s0c9; 09-15-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
(female)

Paula 47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula 47 View Post
I have recently developed white coat syndrome.
I have read some of the threads related to White Coat. It is nice to know that the doctors were understanding of the White Coat syndrome. Some doctors act as if they are not aware; maybe do not want to spend the time letting your blood pressure drop as you relax. I am taking the advice of some of my white coat partners by taking my blood pressure monitor to the doctor's office when I visit. My pressure readings at home are nothing close to the readings in the doctor's office. I do admit that most of the readings are prehypertensive; not 234/115.!

Last edited by Paula 47; 09-16-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

My Cardio doesn't believe in whie coat syndrome. he dx me with reactive hypertension. While one could say isn't that the same.. well it is, but i am still being treated for hypetension. He said it's just the way we are wired but there still needs to be some control.... in my case anyway.

When I went to see him my bp was 180/108.. 30 minutes later it went to normal. When I went home in the evening it was 117/75 without meds. Actually with Benicar my BP spiked more and had terrible numbers. Now I am on 10mg lisinopril and doing awesome! The biggest spike I got was 130/85, average numbers 111/70.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
(female)

Paula 47 HB User

The doctor has prescribed me Norvasc 5mg q daily. I just started yesterday and can not evaluate how it is working so far. All I know is that I get X-tremly nervous when I go to the doctors. On the contrary, I excercise 3x a week; walking/running! OH MY!

Closed Thread