It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Switching from Avapro to Losartan

Has anyone switched from Avapro to Losartan..generic Cozaar?

I can't take any Ace drugs, wicked cough and some leg swelling, tried Atenolol, made pulse way too low. Been on Avapro, 150 mgs. for about 2 1/2 years, but the price has gotten way up there so Dr. switched me to the Losartan, 50 mgs. Dr. said she started me off with a low dose to see how it affects me. Am hoping this works, as I am extremely sensative to meds.

Hubby takes it, but also takes 2 other meds., and he seems to have no problems. If you have taken this med. did it work well?

Thanks for any input...JJ

Last edited by JJ; 09-23-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to put doseage.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Switching from Avapro to Losartan

Losartan, (Cozaar) like Avapro, is an angiotensin II receptor blocker, as you know, and it was the first ARB on the market, therefore the oldest. If you've done well on Avapro, in theory losartan should do the trick for you.

Also it's GREAT news that finally one of the ARBs is now available generically. I'm on Diovan and have been doing great on it for years. But it's expensive, like Avapro, and now that you've told me Cozaar is available as a generic, I may investigate switiching myself!

Good luck! Let us know how you do.
zuzu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hi zuzu...I'm really hoping it does the trick, as the Avapro was costing me a small fortune. Dr. would give me samples when she could, but I can't expect her to supply me month after month.

My son is on the Diovan and he loves it, but being a nurse his hospital plan is better then my Medicare. LOL The pharmacist told me Cozzar went generic in April. Avapro they don't expect a generic till 2012.

Hubby luckily gets his meds from the VA here, so his cost is good, and he has taken the Losartan for awhile now. Guess they get the generics faster then the general public.

Only been taking it now since monday, so we will see how it goes when I see her in late Oct. Shame we have to pay thru the nose for some of our meds.

Good luck yourself, and I will keep you posted. Enjoy, and TTYL..JJ

Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

JJ-

Interesting that Avapro will probably be going generic in 2012. I hear the same about Diovan (Sept 2012) when the patent expires. I have a great Medicare RX Plan D, but unfortunately, like most of those plans, the ARBs are all considered Tier 2- yikes! $$$$$.

I use mail order which is slightly cheaper but still Diovan 3 months supply (90 pills) costs me $111 as opposed to losartin for which I would pay only $4.00 for same amount of pills. I MAY switch, but it took a lot of trial and error when I first went on BP meds and I was about to lose all hope when doc tried Diovan and voila! Perfect BP.... and of course no side effects which had been the problem with so many other classes of BP drugs I had tried.
We'll see.
You'll be my guinea pig!

zuzu

Last edited by zuzu8; 09-23-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

DIOVAN and LOSARTAN are the best of the ARB's with the least side effects. They are also the most researched drugs in the ARB class. The main side effect I had with LOSARTAN was a tickle in my throat (similar to ACE's). The DIOVAN side effect was an increased heart rate from time to time. Side effects were definitely tolerable. While taking BENICAR for approx. 2 years I developed some gastro issues and later developed Ulcerative Colitis. I never had this condition in all my previous gastro tests.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8...You are soooo like me, extremely sensative to meds. and I hate switching as well. It seems to take them forever to find something that doesn't knock me for a loop, or give me lousy side affects.

Last year my cardiologist suggested Cozaar as he thought there was a generic, but my pharmacist said nope, not yet. My Avapro was costing me 76.43 a month...WHOA, the Losartan is 29. major difference huh? My Dr. had given me some kind of discount card from her sales rep. that did knock the price down, but she had none available the last 6 months, so when I filled them last and paid the 76.00 plus, I almost cried.

No problem on being the guinea pig, been that route before. LOL Keep your fingers crossed, maybe we both can save some money and be safe too.

Enjoy, will keep ya posted....JJ

Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the info. Ace. I seemed to develop a slight cough lately with the Avapro but nothing like the Ace drugs. Only thing I noticed with the ARBs is a nagging backache. I do have back problems anyway, but they do seem to aggitate it more. Some days not so bad, other days a weeeee bit annoying.

I developed a wicked gastro problem on Altace. They must have run every test going but couldn't figure it out. I actually lived for almost 2 years with constant Diarrhea. I got so depressed, as I had to plan every single move I made out of the house, and then wasn't exactly confident I'd be ok, so I hear you, and feel for you.

One thing my PC Dr. and Cardiologist did was have me try Probiotic Acidophlis pills, and they did help me out quite a bit. I buy the Schiff brand, as it is inexpensive and so far, so good. I just take one little pill after supper, and they don't need to be put in the fridge like some others. Ask your GI person about them, it might help.

Good luck Ace, and thanks again!!! JJ.....

Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks JJ - It seems we have to fix our problem with pills, by taking other pills to fix those problems. It's a vicious cycle. The worst part of this all is, we don't even though if these pills are helping us or really hurting us in the long run. A lousy quality of life can never be beneficial to anyone. Many medications prescribed are causing high potassium levels, kidney problems, increased glucose and cholesterol, stomach disorders and depression. This is OK with doctors because they can prescribe even more pills to fix those problems. My aunt has some health problems and is currently taking 16 pills a day and said she doesn't feel so good some days, I wonder why? The saying that the cure is worse than the disease comes to mind.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your so right Ace, the more meds. we take it seems the more ailments. I really hate meds. but of course if we need them, oh well, we have to take them.

One pill I will NOT take is a statin, man I was never so sick in all my life like I was on those back in 2000. My cholesterol is normally in a good range, but does get out of wack every so often, but have already told my new DR...don't even think about me taking those.

Hubby was on them for about 7 years and had all sorts of problems. WE never associated his muscular problems and onset of Diabetes to them, but have found out through research they can cause it. Needless to say we both now refuse to take them, but for him it is a lil too late. He suffers from PN and now on meds. for that. Like your mom, he is on about 12 different meds., some twice a day. Even our Cardio guy has limited hubby's meds. as he says the same thing, too much is as bad as too little.

Have a great TGIF....JJ.....

Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Your right. Medications are sometimes required. The worst thing about high blood pressure is the problems it can cause to the brain (like a stroke) bleeding episodes and damaged kidneys and heart. Taking some natural products can offset some health problems. I'm a strong believer in supplements such as Vitamin C, Folic Acid, Niacin, B6, Garlic and Fish Oil. My doctor said not to waste my money on these unproven supplements, but I take them just the same. My Mother's cardiologist prescribed/recommended Folic Acid, CoEnzyme Q10, B6 and Omega 3 tablets which she took for a few years. Even doctors disagree on supplement benefits.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh yeah...I do agree with the suppliments as does my Dr. My old Dr. didn't even think taking a daily vitamin was necessary. I don't care how well we try to eat, the food today does NOT have the same vitamins etc. as years ago.

I take one multi...500mgs. of C....600mgs. of Calcium...1200 Garlic and a Probiotic after supper each night. We both tried the Folic Acid, but hubby broke out in a rash. Neither of us can take the fish oil either, upsets the old tummy. Oh well, he does at least take a multi.

As long as the Drs. are happy with our numbers, we just do the best we can. Too bad there isn't that ONE magic pill that cures all huh?

Have a good day....JJ

Old 09-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

JJ - Another supplement which is really important, and the only supplement my doctor urged me to take and also had me tested for is "Vitamin D". Low and behold, my Vitamin D blood levels were at a deficiency level. He believes Vitamin D is very important and was overlooked for a very long time. As I did research on the Web, I realized he was correct. From Cancer to High Cholesterol and High Blood Pressure, Vitamin D seems to be the missing link. Adding Vitamin D can make a difference.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ACE...They tested me for D and it was perfect, so the Dr. said not to take anything. I have to admit, my new Dr. is quite thorough and follows up on a lot of things my other one didn't.

Another thing that happened to me on fish oil was, it raised my LDL. I did some research and found out it can, so no more for me.

After I got tested I had hubby have his Dr. test him as well. Thanks for that suggestion, you sure do post some VERY good ideas. JJ.....

Closed Thread