It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2001, 10:15 AM   #1

johnemcg HB User
what is the best natural high blood pressure fix

this is my first time posting on the section of this board, I'm always no the high chol. section.
what i would like to know is what works at bring blood pressure down? I'm looking for a natural way I'm sick of taking all the stupid meds. they want you to take. I had problems with lipitor for hi cholestrol, stopped taking it, now i want to work on hi blood pressure.

------------------

Old 06-11-2001, 04:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Re: what is the best natural high blood pressure fix

A low carbohydrate diet.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2001, 09:29 AM   #3

ocean1 HB User

I thought it was the opposite. A high plant/starch based diet (vegetarian) that the articles seem to promote as lowering bp the natural way.

If it were that easy, I would switch to low carb immediately to be able to go off meds.
Are there success stories with this?

Old 06-11-2001, 01:44 PM   #4

JaniceS HB User

I can tell you what I have been doing. It's still early in the process to tell you if it will work, but my Dr. gave me the option in March of forgoing a BP prescription if I was willing to give therapy (stress reduction/management) a try. She said it can be as effective in some cases as meds. I found a therapist who does biofeedback. I've gone for 7 sessions and lately I've been getting 122/82 readings which is an improvement for me. I was consistently at 140/90 before. I can tell that I am a much calmer person than I was before. I also read about how the balance of potassium to sodium can affect the BP. I've been trying to get the recommended 3500mg/day of potassium and cut out the salty snacks (e.g., snack on raw nuts instead of chips), but I just started this about a week and a half ago, so it's probably still to early to tell.

------------------
Janice

Old 06-11-2001, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran

robste HB User

Cut out all caffeine! It definitely raises blood pressure, and get in enough exercise. If you're overweight (and I don't know if you are or not), losing just 10 lbs. can also help....I speak from experience. There's no history of high bp in my family, and drs. couldn't figure out why my bp was running about 138/90-94. I didn't want to go on bp medicines, so I'd try anything else. I lost 10 lbs. and quit drinking coffee...my bp has been running 117/70 to about 120/80 for the past year.

Old 06-13-2001, 04:44 AM   #6

Speedgal HB User

Assuming you're not overweight, you exercise and you aren't overstressed or take excessive amounts of caffeine or any ephedra/ma huang at all, then your high BP may be genetic. In which case you will most likely have to resort to meds. There are some herbal preps available - search the net, or go to a herbalist. But be aware that they are not always with out their own side effects.

Personally I would NOT recommend low carb diets that are very trendy and gimmicky at the moment - they have too many bad side effects long term.

Cutting out salt (as in sodium) may help if you are a junk/processed food eater.

Old 06-13-2001, 10:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Diets high in carbohydrates such as sugars and starches (breads, pastas, potatoes, etc.) cause a significant rise in insulin levels to keep the resulting high bloodsugar levels in check. While insulin is a necessary hormone, too much of it is not a good thing. For one thing, chronic high insulin levels cause hardening of the arteries (arteriosclerosis). Stiff, rigid arteries contribute to high blood pressure because they can't flex and expand as the heart beats. Insulin and carbohydrates also promote fluid retention. A good low carbohydrate diet will work as good as a diuretic in getting rid of excess fluid, which also helps to lower blood pressure.

Here are a few of the side effects of a low carbohydrate diet that I have experienced: lost excess fat, lowered bloodpressure, lowered cholesterol (again, due to the lowering of insulin levels), got rid of heartburn and digestive distress, and generaly have more energy and less lethargy. I can live with those kinds of side effects.

For more information on this I recommend that you get the book "Protein Power" by Drs. Eades. They explain why this diet works with full scientific references to support their positions.

Alan

Old 06-14-2001, 03:02 AM   #8

Speedgal HB User

I don't want to start a flame war but must take issue with the "facts" being peddled with low carb diets. I have tried them for body fat loss and for me they were an absolute disaster. I've never been so crook in all my life - and even on 180 g carbs/day which is high for a low carb diet - 20 g carbs a day puts me in the cot even quicker.

I know some people can tolerate them, I can't.

The insulin thing is being over-rated - whilst a low glycemic index is a good thing to chase there are lots of ways getting a low GI index from combinations of food without having to cut out or alter the carbs you eat. Icecream - high in sugar and fat is a low GI food but not necessarily good for you from a cholesterol point of view.

Many of the so-called doctors that write these books have interesting qualifications to say the least. There are some very good critiques of the low carb type diets on the net and they are backed up with references from referreed scientific journals - unlike most references in these books. As a scientist myself I am also capable of reading articles and papers and judging their worth - or other wise.

I am not saying don't try a low carb diet but make sure you are fully informed before you start and get the relevant bodily functions monitored by a doctor while you are on it.

Old 06-15-2001, 08:57 AM   #9

calastinac HB User

Of course a low carb diet is the key, combined with a veggie/fruit/grain based diet. You should consider reading some material by Dr. Heller on the issue of Carbo Addicts. It is really interesting and teaches a lot of ways to modify your diet, shed the pounds and control high cholesterol and blood pressure. Finally, you wanted a natural supplement for BP...Garlic!

Old 06-15-2001, 12:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by calastinac:
<B>Of course a low carb diet is the key, combined with a veggie/fruit/grain based diet. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy on the grains if you are talking low carb diet. It doesn't take much of any grain to be a relatively high amount of carbohydrate. For instance, one serving of stone ground whole wheat flour that I have here has 22 grams of carbohydrate and only 3 grams of fiber. One serving of brown rice has 33 grams of carbohydrate and only 2 grams of fiber. And one serving is only 1/4 to 1/3 cup dry. And fruits need to be limited somewhat also along with starchy vegetables like potatoes.

Alan

Old 06-18-2001, 11:44 AM   #11

calastinac HB User

Alan, you're absolutely right when it comes to grain. I'll try to put it better. 'A lot of fruit/veggies/quality grain'! Of course a hamburger bun is grain, although poor quality grain, it is better to opt for whole wheat or bio grain, which has not been overly processed, like white flour, as an alternative. But that should not be the base of your food intake, a max of two-three servings a day.

Old 07-08-2001, 09:12 AM   #12

Irish HB User

I would never try a low carbohydrate diet. Those doctors are in the book selling business - not the healing business.

Irish

Old 07-09-2001, 03:50 AM   #13

Speedgal HB User

Thank you Irish, glad to see someone with some common sense. You are absolutely right!

I see another book on offer now by some other supposed doctor selling in a new package a high carb diet. When will it ever end! :-)

Old 07-09-2001, 04:11 PM   #14

johnemcg HB User

well Irish and speedgal I think you guys are wrong on your ideas about diet. what i try to follow might be called a low carb. diet! I try to eat things we would be eating if man didn't start changing everything! so this diet does leave out breads, pasta, cookies (I love cookies) soda, chips and all the junk type foods. I do eat meats, chicken, fish, some types of veggies. the one thing i put in that maybe I shouldn't is oatmeal. lots of water, eggs, I do drink decaf diet ice tea sometimes when i'm sick of water

Old 07-11-2001, 03:32 AM   #15

Speedgal HB User

I'm not Irish (well only half) but I'll weigh in on this. I'm a runner/weightrainer with hereditary moderately high BP (140/90)controlled extremely well with half a irbesarten tablet a day - or not even that. I"m 43, run about 30-60 kms a week. Average weight, high muscle mass.

My diet is high carbs. Average fat. Brekkie can be anything from 2 bits toast with bit of butter (not marg) and vegemite (yes I"m Australian) and jam or honey. Or baked beans on toast, or spaghetti or 2 poached eggs or porridge with raisins and soft brown sugar or maple syrup and skim milk, or cereal (eg muesli - not toasted, weetbix and banana etc) All with skim milk.

Morning tea - depending on training - large sticky bun if in need of carbs, banana or other fruit if not. Lunch - anything from large bread roll, butter and banana to leftover last nights tea.
Aftenoon tea/pre-training - Cereal straight out of the packet eg Nutrigrain, or banana.

Tea - meat/fish/chicken and threee veges. So could be spud baked in microwave or pasta or rice. Broccoli/carrots/swede/cauliflower/brussel sprouts/pumpkin - whatever. Usually 200g each of a carotene containing vege plus a green vege.

Swede/spud always with a smidgen of butter.

Often have stirfried Skinless chicken breast with pasta or rice and veges. Often have red meat - anything from low fat mince to fillet steak. Or fresh fish (we go fishing). Fried in non stick pan, sometimes with bit of olive oil.

If I need dessert - icecream - the real stuff, or homemade apple crumble or homemade sago/tapioca/flaked rice milk pudding with often an egg and raisins and made from skim milk.

I drink wine most nights.

As you can see I don't eat processed food. I use a macrobiotic salt, I refuse to eat marg. If I want a coconut milk Thai curry I have one (with lots of chilli). I make my spice mixes myself and would eat out only 1 x fortnight on average for tea. If I feel like something, I eat it. I'm not a sweet tooth, never crave chocolate but potato crisps - yes!

I take a multi vitamin most days if I remember and the same goes for glucosamine for my ageing joints! :-)

My blood sugar and cholesterol are excellent.

Closed Thread