It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2001, 06:55 PM   #1

Chip HB User
140/75 should i worry?

Hi,
I was at my father in laws the other day and checked my BP on his machine. It was something like 135/75. He told me that was high normal. This really surprised me because i race triathlons and train my butt off, about 20 hours a week of running riding or swimming. It is the off season right now so im only doing about half that. So i was a little shocked. Anyway, i went and bought my own machine and have been checking for about a week now. i check it 3 times in the morning and three times when i get home from work, before exercising. it is usually about 117/70 to 125/75 in the mornings but after work it is 135/75 to as high as 150/75 but usually around 140/75. My question is should i worry? i have a very low body fat percentage, dont smoke, dont drink, eat fairly healthy and am a 31 year old male. any advice would be appreciated.

oh yeah, im going to get a thourgh physical next week. thanks for the time! Chip

Old 01-10-2001, 10:26 PM   #2

Ken HB User
Re: 140/75 should i worry?

Unless you have heart disease or have a high risk for heart disease, which I assume you don't, the point at which you are considered to have high blood pressure is 140/90 or higher based on a resting rate. The good thing about your BP is that your diastolic (2nd number) is below 80. This is the pressure in your arteries between heart beats.

You are doing everything right. The only thing I could add would be limiting salt in your diet subject to your exercise program. If you sweat a lot due to your exercise program, you may not want to limit salt that much below the accepted level of salt intake of about 2,400 mgs per day.

When you go to a doctor or dentist you may suffer, like many people, from what is called "White Coat Syndome". This tends to increase your BP, not usually more than about 10 points for both numbers, and your doctor takes this into account.

To learn more about high blood pressure (hypertension), I suggest you visit the web site of The American Heart Assn. at <A HREF="http://www.americanheart.org." TARGET=_blank>http://www.americanheart.org.</A> Click on their Heart & Stroke A-Z Guide found on the left side of their home page. Then click on "H" and then go down to "Hypertension", click on this, and find out more about hypertension.

At this point you seem to be O.K. with your blood pressure, but if you have a family history of high blood pressure, it is well that you keep checking it from time to time.

By the way, your BP later in the day, especially after work, can be a little higher just because of the strain of the day. Also, due to the normal waking up process in the morning before you have breakfast, your BP can be a little higher.

At this point, your BP seems to be under control, but the fact that you are having a complete physical is a good thing.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2001, 06:14 PM   #3

Chip HB User

thanks,
your right i could do better with my diet. But i do tend to sweat alot. during the summer after a long run or ride, you can actually see a salty residue on my skin after the sweat dries. Im going to keep watching it though, my grandfather has HBP. so i guess it runs in the family. I workout with a guy who is in great shape, very fast runner,and he is on BP med. Just goes to show, sometimes even when you do all the right stuff, you can still have it.

Old 01-15-2001, 12:59 PM   #4

mike_f_m HB User

My understanding is that the cause of HBP in 80 or 90% of individuals who suffer from it, is "hypertension", it is not necessarily due to lack of physical fitness or exercise.
Perhaps in focusing on your fitness regime you are looking in the wrong part of your lifestyle.

Mike.

Old 01-16-2001, 02:20 AM   #5

Speedgal HB User

Your BP is fine. And don't worry about your lifestyle. As a runner I can tell you NOT to decrease your salt intake - or at least listen to your body - it will tell you what it needs. I crave potato crisps in summer, just for the salt - but I don't eat junk food as a whole.

Remeber also that high BP (and yours is not high), can be genetic. Mine is. I am controlling it extremely well on half an irbesartan tablet every other day. My diastolic is down in the 60 and 70's. Without meds it is always around 100 (and has been since I was 18 - I am now 42).

Closed Thread