It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2001, 12:01 PM   #1

KrisTsao HB User
Which measurement is accurate?

Hello,

My doctor asked me to measure my BP twice a day. I bought an Omron HEM-737 BP monitor with automatic inflation. I found when I measure my BP, without taking the cuff off, I do 3 continuous measurements, and all three are different. And three are very different, it's like 144/95, 128/80/, 125/78. Which one is the accurate one? I got all the three readings in approximately 2 minutes, and it shouldn't change that much. But I do notice that my heart rate decreased from 70+ to 60 and to 57 during the measurements.

Please let me know which reading should I believe from your experience. Thanks! Thanks!

Tsao

Old 05-04-2001, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Which measurement is accurate?

I have that same monitor and it does the same thing. U are suppose to wait I believe, about 5 to 10 minutes before taking another reading. Your best bet is to take a reading 3 to 4 times a day, like one in the a.m. one in the afternnon, one maybe before supper, and one around 10 p.m. My dr. told me to take them similar to that and try and take it as close to the same time each day. I believe when U take it consistently one after the other U are constricting the blood flow. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2001, 11:41 PM   #3

Ken HB User

Blood pressure is usually higher in the morning than any other part of the day.

To monitor your BP you should take it the same time of day each day so you can have an accurate reading of what your BP is doing.

You should relax about 5 minutes or so before taking your first reading. Wait another 5 minutes or so and take the second reading. The lower one of the two should be your recorded BP for that session. As you relax, your pulse rate also goes down as well as your BP. What you are after is your resting BP. Your BP constantly changes depending on emotions, physical activity, etc.

Ken

------------------

Old 05-05-2001, 08:04 PM   #4

axe HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KrisTsao:
<B>Hello,

My doctor asked me to measure my BP twice a day. I bought an Omron HEM-737 BP monitor with automatic inflation. I found when I measure my BP, without taking the cuff off, I do 3 continuous measurements, and all three are different. And three are very different, it's like 144/95, 128/80/, 125/78. Which one is the accurate one</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
When studies are done involving blood pressure, ways to reduce the variation in results include. Taking it 3 times, exclude the 1st reading (as it is usually the highest), then average the second two. Also take your blood pressure in the same arm (right), be sitting with your arm same height as your heart, don't drink coffee or smoke, be in a quiet environment, and often it is better if someone else does it so you cant see the numbers (as this also elevates the BP). Make sure the cuff size is the correct size for your arm also.

Regards
R.

Old 05-08-2001, 06:51 AM   #5

Irish HB User

Tsao--I'm surprised your doctor accepts the blood pressure readings you take at home. I went out and bought a new blood pressure cuff and then my doctor tells me that the readings are not accurate. He won't take any reading but the one done in his office.

I use mine at home if I think my blood pressure might be a little high, just to satisfy my mind.

Good luck in controlling it. And don't panic over the different readings. Just take your medicine and stay CALM.

Closed Thread