It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2001, 10:27 PM   #1

Dottie HB User
what can reverse a blockage?

Does someone know if there is a diet that will reverse the blockage in an artery. I have heard that you can reverse the situation if it is not too late.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2001, 12:02 AM   #2

Ken HB User
Re: what can reverse a blockage?

There is the Ornish Diet by Dr. Dean Ornish who is a cardiologist in the San Francisco, CA area and also is nationally known. This is a very severe diet, and many people have problems keeping up with this diet which is extremely low in fat, cholesterol, etc. Going on this diet is no guarantee that something might happen to you in the meantime, i.e., heart attack, etc.

There is Chelation Therapy where a chemical is injected into you and/or you take pills. Chelation is an accepted medical procedure to remove heavy metals from your body such as lead, but it is not accepted by most cardiologists, heart surgeons and The American Heart Assn. The reason is that it can desolve plaque, definetly the calcium in plaque (deposits in the arteries), but in so doing it can expose the inflammed inner walls of arteries or cause the rupture of plaque which causes your body to produce a blood clot that could cause a heart attack and/or death. In the mind of most medical professionals it isn't worth the risk.

If you have been diagnosed by a cardiologist and told you have atherosclerosis (blockages in your arteries), this includes the coronary arteries, I would go with the cardiologist's recommendations and/or seek a second opinion from another cardiologist.

You are on the Hypertension Board, and hypertension is a risk factor for heart disease.

Seek professional medical attention.

Ken

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2001, 11:58 AM   #3

Ken HB User

Supplementing my original response, other things you can do are these:

Take a recommended daily dose of Vitamin E. These are available in capsule supplements. 400 I.U.'s is usually the normal daily dosage.

Eat fish at least 2 to 3 times per week, i.e., the type with tails rather than shellfish. These contain Omega 3 oils. Fish oil capsules are also sold that contain Omega 3. Best examples of the fish to eat are salmon, white tuna packed in water, mackeral and bass.

Ken

------------------

Old 08-29-2001, 10:30 AM   #4

beebe624 HB User

If the blockage is too bad, the treatment of most doctors and cardiologists is to use the balloon catheter and push it out of the artery along with cholesterol drugs and diet change. Your doctor will
decide if just diet alone or the procedure are right for you.

Closed Thread