It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2001, 10:04 AM   #1

louise1300 HB User
Channel and beta blockers

My mother recently was prescribed a channel blocker (norvasc) which didn't agree with her. Her doctor then wanted her to try a beta blocker (atenolol) instead.

She is concerned because he wants her to start the new drug right away, but the information slip in the channel blocker, which she stopped taking on Wednesday, said it should not be taken in conjunction with a beta blocker, and the drug could remain in the system for up to 14 days!

Should she start the new medication at once, as her MD advises, or wait a little longer? Anyone have experience with this?

Old 11-03-2001, 10:54 AM   #2

FJC HB User
Re: Channel and beta blockers

I take atenolol and norvasc every day and dont have any problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2001, 09:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Louise,
Norvasc does not interfere with taking Atenolol. There are some calcium channel blockers that do have problems with beta blockers such as Isoptin. I also take Norvasc and Alenolol together daily.

Harry

Old 11-11-2001, 08:57 PM   #4

YoursVeryTruly HB User

Hi, I was wondering if I might also ask a question regarding Atenolol. If I take atenolol regularly, eventually my blood pressure comes under control, and I have no side effects from the medicine. However, if I stop it, (or forget to take it!) and then resume taking it, I get terrible headaches for a week or so. It was the same when I first began taking the Atenolol. I didn't have any headache symptoms with the high blood pressure, but did when I first started the atenolol, for about two weeks. Just terrible. I spoke with the pharmacist about it, and he suggested that maybe it was my blood pressure "set point" trying to fight the atenolol, and that's why the headaches begin when I start the medicine at first. Then eventually the atenolol gets the blood pressure under control, it stays down, and the headaches go away. Unless of course I stop the medicine, and then the cycle happens all over again. I was wondering if anyone here thinks that is what could be happening. The doctor didn't really have an answer for me. Appreciate any response! Thanks much! ~Camille~

Closed Thread