It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2001, 01:06 PM   #1
(male)

Onclou9 HB UserOnclou9 HB User
Atenolol/Lopressor and Depression & memory loss

Hello, I am new.

In 1998, I was diagnosed with HPB and prescribed Atenolol 50 mg and was later prescribed Lopressor 100 mg (about a year later).

Since I started taking these beta blockers, I have had two significant depressions as a result of stress that I normally would have handled well. Also, my memory is terrible and my energy levels are poor.

I read on the net that beta blockers (especially Lopressor) can cause depression or aggrivate it for a person who is pre-disposed to it. So I went to my doctor and am switching to an ACE inhibitor currently--only four more days of the 1/2 pill to go.

Since I cut the pill in half, I pulled out of the depression (mostly) and had my first decent night of sleep--without pills--for over two weeks. I can still tell when I take the pill in the morning that I begin to drift back into the depression around 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. I believe that this is the problem because I normall handle stress very well and recently, I just melted.

Anyone have similar experiences on these drugs or other beta blockers?

Thanks,
Oncloud9

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2001, 09:49 AM   #2

calastinac HB User
Re: Atenolol/Lopressor and Depression & memory loss

How do I understand you!!! I have been diagnosed with hypertension in December, and the first response from the ER doctor was to put me on this wonderous drug! What a bummer! I was dizzy, tired, confused, had to take naps forever and depressed. It took three days to overcome these side effects and go back to work. I went back to the doctor telling him about these side effects, and took me of those, pronto! Like you said, for people predisposed to depression, these are a big no-no!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread