It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2001, 02:46 PM   #1

JetService HB User
Doctor went straight to meds (???)

I am 34 and have been having BP in the 153/95 range. I went to the Dr to have it looked at. 2 years ago my reading was 130/80. My doctor said we had to figure out what changed between now and then. He said if it wasn't something specific, then he could assume it was primary. He also said he wanted 5 readings at home that high before prescribing meds for the rest of my life. I was kind of shocked that he suggested meds without lifestyle changes etc. I am otherwise healthy, good weight, don't smoke (unless I'm on fire), but I do consume salt like its going out of style, and always have, and I use snuff tobacco (I forgot to tell him that). My dad had this at this age and it was controlled by meds. I don't know if I like the idea of medication for the rest of my life, especially if side-effects are involved. Any thoughts on this? Was meds too quickly suggested here? I have no follow-up appointment with the readings scheduled yet.

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2001, 04:13 AM   #2

Speedgal HB User
Re: Doctor went straight to meds (???)

Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure he suspects yours is genetic - from your fathers history. In which case meds are probably the only answer. Maybe he should have looked at you for renal problems and maybe you should try cutting salt out for the most part but I would suspect it won't change a lot.

Incidentally there have been some reports of late that people even without high BP should go on meds to lower it - some studies have shown them to lower stroke and heart attack rate significantly - so maybe its a good thing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread