It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2001, 10:20 AM   #1
(male)

rollo HB User
White Coat Disease

I get extreme anxiety anytime I go to the Dr. Almost everytime I get my pressure taken my number is usually 160/80. A Dr. many years ago told me not to worry as by the end of the exam a new reading showed 125/80. I'm now 15 years older and now have a new Dr. He is not as convinced and wants to put me on medication right away and I have resisted.

I monitor my BP at home with a wrist monitor and its usually 125/77. I'm 38, run about 16 miles per week, and eat a low fat, low salt diet. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2001, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: White Coat Disease

Did this new dr. take a reading after the exam was finished, and what were the numbers? Try going to either the pharmacy or one of those places that give free BP readings to see if there is any difference than your dr. and home monitoring. I also monitor mine at home, as recently mine has been climbing the last few months. Right now I am on Altace 2.5 mgs., as my last reading at the dr. 3 weeks ago was 160 over 100. seemed the more he took it the higher it kept going. I told him he was making me a nervous wreck, but also knew it was high to begin with compared to my usual readings of 125-130 over 70-80. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2001, 03:10 AM   #3

Speedgal HB User

If your readings at home etc are fine you don't need meds. 125/77 is fine. Don't let your doc put you on pills. Incidentally I'm a runner too with genetically high BP. I'm fine on half an irbesartan a day - drops it like a stone.

Old 02-13-2001, 09:37 AM   #4
(male)

rollo HB User

Irbesartan? Is that a prescription?

Old 03-29-2001, 12:05 PM   #5
Unregistered

I am 25 yrs. old, and my doctor put me on Ziac, based on my BP readings at her office. The thing is at home, my BP was usually almost always normal. But at the doctors office, i can almost feel it raising. I get really worked up and nervous. The ziac has lowered my BP but it still raises when at the doctors. I am worried about taking this mediciation at such an early age. Do u guys think it is necessary to be on medicine for an occasional BP raise usually isolated to only doctors offices?

Thanks, Betty

Old 03-30-2001, 02:37 AM   #6

Speedgal HB User

If your BP is normal at home then of course not. You say almost always - I don't know how often that is? Are you measuring it with a reliable device? And 2-3 times a day?
If there are only islated times its up then maybe you should explore other means of controlling it such as diet, exercise, lowering your salt intake, losing weight, destressing maybe with meditation etc etc. I certainly wouldn't want to be taking continuous medication for isolated events.

Old 03-30-2001, 02:38 AM   #7

Speedgal HB User

Rollo, just noticed your post. Its probably too late but yes irbesartan is a prescription med.

Old 05-17-2001, 05:08 AM   #8

becmuss HB User

Hi there,

my bp is exactly the same. Every time i go to the doctors and have it taken either by a doc or nurse it is always high - usually 160/80. I am only 26. Yesterday i hired a blood pressure monitor and it has been perfect in fact it has been occassionally low. My doctor laughs and says if he is concerned he will put a gadget on my arm which will monitor my bp for 24 hours. So ask for one of them maybe. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2001, 12:50 PM   #9
Veteran

robste HB User

At a routine office visit the other day, the nurse took my blood pressure (after I had waited for about 10 minutes), and it measured 130/100 (yikes!!!) I have to consider that the whole time she took it, she was talking to me...I always thought you're supposed to stay quiet, right?
Anyway, she suggested that I wait a little while, told me that the doctor usually gets lower reading than she does, and they'd have the dr. re-take my bp. Well...ten minutes later, when taken by the doctor, it was normal at 120/80.
If I were you, I would never let a doctor put me on bp medicine for 1 or 2 random high readings! My dr. says that he won't consider putting a patient on medication unless they have at least 3 high readings.

Old 06-05-2001, 01:08 PM   #10

ocean1 HB User

Betty,

I am on Ziac also and have the same experience. At the doctor's office when the nurse or doctor takes my bp it is sky high. I feel myself tensing and know it is white coat syndrome. He put me on Ziac. At home with the monitor it is always within normal range, except on extremely stressful days.
I am hoping to get off ziac one of these days. I'm not crazy about it.

Old 07-11-2001, 03:44 PM   #11

Dan K HB User

I have the same problem. At the doctors office always high. The more I try to relax the more psyched out I get and the higher my BP gets. Anyhow, at home with the Omron Monitor it is lower and after 2 or 3 readings can get it within normal range and sometimes lower. Doctor has me on small dosage of Coreg for now. Don't know what else to do. Perhaps we should be allowed to take our own BP at the Doctors office! Good Luck. Dan K

Closed Thread