It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2001, 01:59 AM   #1

ocean1 HB User
different readings with home bp machine

I was told that to get a good reading on my home digital monitor, I should sit quietly with my left arm resting on a table while the cuff takes the measurement. However, when my doctor takes my bp my arm is raised out towards him and the reading is always so much higher than when the arm is resting. Also when the nurses take it, they hardly ever ask you to rest the arm on a support.
This, combined with white coat nervousness makes my readings very elevated at the doctor's office. At home, resting it is normal. Anyone share this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2001, 02:34 PM   #2

Lindam5552 HB User
Re: different readings with home bp machine

I have the oposite problem, my blood pressure is higher at home then the doctors office. Take you blood pressure monitor next time you get it measured at the doctors office to see if it's a different reading. Then your doctor should take white coat syndrome in to cosideration

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2001, 05:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: different readings with home bp machine

Definitely take it into the drs. office and check it against there's. I get very low readings at home and very high when at the drs. I brought my machine in and they checked it out to be just about on the money. Sometimes the make and the cuff size makes a difference also. Good luck! JJ

Closed Thread