It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2001, 08:43 PM   #1

Leeann HB User
Newly diagnosed!!

Hi, I am a 39 year old woman. I have been having fluctuaions of my blood pressure for the past six months. I believed it was due to some heavy duty stress concerning ill family members. Well, yesterday,I took it at home and nearly died 170/109!!!!!!What happened to my 120/80??? (runs in family)
I went to the doctor today and it was 160/118, so he ordered Toporol, 50 mg. doesn't sound enough since my husband also
has HBP and takes that, too.
Well, what's your experience? Let me know, I'd love to learn from you. Thanks, Lee

Old 01-10-2001, 08:15 AM   #2

Moon HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed!!

Is it enough? If you check your pressure on a regular basis and it is within normal limits, then it is enough.

I would think that your doctor's objective is to control you BP with the smallest amount of medication possible.

If your BP is still high and you are on the medication the Doc gave you, then you need to go back and discuss your BP history with him.
I would think that he would be in a position to help you better if he knew what your blood pressure was (daily and taken at the same time of day) and recorded to use as a history of your specific situation.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2001, 09:21 PM   #3

Nimbus32 HB User

My wife has hbp and is on 2 different meds. to help control it she had to decrease salt intake and reducing caffiene in her diet. Her bp was up to 270/197, the meds and diet are helping to keep it down to a lower range.

Old 02-10-2001, 11:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I always had BP about 125-130 over 70-80. Last March they put me on cholesterol meds., Lipitor and Baycol which I had a wicked reaction too, and now not on it. Ever since taking the meds. my BP has been steadily going up also. Last month it was 170 over 102 so the dr. put me on Altace, 2.5 mgs. to start. If it doesn't come down he will increase it to 5 mgs. So far, on my second week it has been averageing about 135/80. I also have a monitor so I take my pressure 4 times daily. Keep monitoring it and I hope your meds. do the trick. Good luck!!

Old 02-14-2001, 11:03 AM   #5

deva-liz HB User

It has always been my understanding (like moon had said earlier) that the drs like to try the least amt of med to control the bp.

I know that shock of seeing that high number all of a sudden.... I had been seeing at my worst a constant pressure of about 170/105, then one day I took it at 185/115 and really panicked. I'm now at about 125/80.

I was on water pills, then Altase, now on Methyldopa and the third one seems to be the charm. I also need to stay away from salt and caffeine to feel good.

take care

Old 02-14-2001, 12:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I'm hopeing the low dose will satisfy the dr. as I hate meds. This is my 3rd week starting with the 2.5 mgs. of Altace, and the top hasn't gone past 137 and the bottom is rangeing about 73 to 81, mostly in the 70's. Know what you mean about the SHOCK! I almost passed out when I went for a visit and the nurse said 158 over 102. I was sure she did something wrong. Each time he took it it would go higher and I was like a total wreck. After buying a monitor, monitoring it at home and still seeing high numbers he put me on the meds. Maybe not the greatest numbers yet, but a lot better than those scarey ones. Take care...JJ

Old 02-18-2001, 11:39 AM   #7

Lindam5552 HB User

I've recently been diagnosised with high blood pressure. The doctor checks it 3 times before I have to go on medication. I guess it hasn't been as high as the people on this board have been saying theirs are. 147/94 last reading. It runs in my family too. I was under a lot of stress too. I've been taking Norvasc 2.5 mgs for a couple of week. You doctor probably wants to check it again in a month and if it's still too high he/she will probably make the dosage higher

Old 02-18-2001, 04:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

He gave me samples 3 weeks ago of this Altace. 3 weeks supply of the 2.5 mgs. and 4 weeks of the 5 mgs. The 2.5 was doing just fine up until a few days ago. For the last few days it has been spiking from 127 to 146 over 77 to 88. I know he wants it below 130 so I will probably have to go on the 5 as this is my last night of the 2.5. Last week it was staying around the 124 to 131 over 74 to 81 mark, so have no idea why it is spiking all of a sudden? I did develop a cold friday, but doubt if that would screw up the BP as I'm not taking any meds. for it, not even Tylenol. Oh well, just have to call him in the a.m. and see what he says. Keep ya posted. JJ

Old 04-21-2001, 11:11 AM   #9

Rebecca492 HB User

I have high blood pressure for a number of years. I am a fifty year old female with several chronic health conditions. My blood pressure will do FINE for a while then spike for several months and the doctors get nervous. I currently am on 160 mg of lasix daily and Aldomet 250 mg twice a day. (I recently went on this after failing to respond to others) So far so good with this one. I have tried almost everything out there to control the blood pressure. At one point two years ago I was taking 15 pills a day for my bood pressure and nothing was helping...I then decided I was living to take pills and talked with my doctor. We decreased to only the lasix and had been fine until 6 months ago. Maybe I will have good luck with the Aldomet.

Closed Thread