It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2001, 03:34 PM   #1

nowhere man HB User
New here, concerned about my increasing BP

I am a 43 year old male, married with a 5 year old daughter.
For most of my life, my bp was always around 100/50 +/- 10. Not bad.
About 8 years ago it started to climb, slowly but steady. In the past year it has been around 140/90 +/-10.
Is this normal with age?
There is no family history of hbp. I do not use too much salt in my diet. I pretty seldom drink sodas and do not drink coffee.
I have talked to my doctor and she is going to re-evaluate me in two months.
I am not too happy with the idea of taking meds. I want to find the cause, if possible, before deciding on meds.

Old 05-16-2001, 05:51 PM   #2

Ken HB User
Re: New here, concerned about my increasing BP

As you get older, the systolic pressure (the first number) can increase, but this number should not exceed 140 no matter what your age. Your diastolic (the second number)should not exceed 90. In other words, the threshold for HBP is 140/90.

Usually, when your BP is in this neighborhood, doctors will first recommend, restricting salt in your diet, not more than 2,400 mgs per day, avoiding caffeine, regular exercise (cleared with your doctor), and if you are overweight, a low fat diet coupled with an exercise program. Many times this is enough to get your BP under control.

You should always take your BP at the same time each day in order to get a handle on your BP. You should rest about 5 minutes before taking your BP to make sure that your BP reading is a resting BP reading. In other words, you should be at complete rest before the first BP reading is taken or any subsequent readings.

Ken

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2001, 07:23 AM   #3

nowhere man HB User

Ken: thanks for your reply!
The only change on my diet has been that I am eating from fast food restaurants at lunch. If my memory is correct, I would say I started doing this within the last 6 years, which would coincide with my bp increasing.
I will pay more attention to what I eat for lunch and monitor my bp at fixed times of the day.

Old 05-18-2001, 02:39 AM   #4

Speedgal HB User

I think you should also get checked out for possible other causes of your rising BP eg renal disease. Just an ultrasound, no big deal.

Closed Thread