It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2001, 05:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Accuracy of home BP machines?

I recently bought an Omotron self inflating one. I always had good BP till they put me on Cholesterol medication 5 months ago. Now it seems to go up and down and all over the place. Has anyone used this type and how did you find the accuracy of it? My normal BP was about 130-135 over 75-80, but now it seems to jump up to 140-146 over 85-92. I also get a rapid heart rate every so often, about 90 to 97 and it is scarey. I'm under the impression it is the cholesterol meds. that might be doing it. Thanx for any input.

Old 01-13-2001, 01:55 AM   #2

Speedgal HB User
Re: Accuracy of home BP machines?

The Omron range are noted as one of the best, mine is an M4 which is the self inflating one for the arm. I don't think any of the wrist ones are terribly reliable. I find mine great. FOr a start I would do readings say 3x day and 3 each time. Make sure you arm is sitting at the same angle each time ie rested so that the reciever of the cuff is at about the saem level as your heart (its all in the instructions). Your heart rate will vary throughout the day - especially if you've just eaten , been drinking heaps of tea, coffee or booze, or have just finished exercising. Or are stressed, of course.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2001, 02:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Thanx! That is the one I bought also, not the wrist kind. So far I think I am getting the hang of it, but also think I make it too tight at times, as it leaves a mark. I have been taking readings about 1 p.m.-4 p.m.-8 p.m. and 11 p.m. All I notice is if I don't wait for a few minutes before readings they vary alot. I took one reading yesterday and it said 140/88 and a few minutes later 132/81. I didn't move or even take the cuff off, so was a little puzzled. My arm is rather small, so the cuff seems to go up my arm fairly high and the instructions say it should be about a 1/2 " over the elbow. That flap piece usually rests toward the inside of my elbow but lower than the cuff itself. Hope I am doing it right. I do make sure the tube is right down the middle of my arm when it is facing upward. Thanx for the help, as I appreciate it.

Old 01-16-2001, 02:14 AM   #4

Speedgal HB User

So long as the cuff isplaced so the tube is over the big vein on your inner elbow that is fine. I am short and the top of it comes up to my armpit. BTW it doesn't need to start off tight - just a loose fit - if its too loose it will tell you so don't strangle your arm!

Old 01-16-2001, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanx a bunch for the reply. Mine seems to go almost up to my armpit too, but I think I tighten it too much sometimes. Oh these modern conveniences can drive ya nuts!! I do get some strange readings though. The first one is usually a little high, say 140/85 and then after about 5 minutes I take it again and it will be 134/78 ??? Maybe I am not waiting long enough? I'll get the hang of this yet! Thanx again. JJ

Old 02-26-2001, 09:03 PM   #6

bustr HB User

Would the finger monitor be an accurate type of blood pressure monitor?

Old 02-27-2001, 03:45 AM   #7

Lindam5552 HB User

I got a finger monitor but my doctor says they're unreliable, so I got a cuff one, it's not self inflating but it is digital. I hope it's reliable

Old 02-27-2001, 08:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Take the monitor to your drs. office and they can compare it. I took mine down and it was within a few points, so he was satisfied.

Closed Thread