It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2001, 07:48 PM   #1

cosmaxton HB User
Use to having HPB now it is low from meds.

I have had HBP since 24, I went off meds for 3 years, then went back on them recently.
My BP off meds ranged from 135/100-220/120,
it was all over the place but I felt wonderful, I felt energetic, alive, and looked very healthy. I have been on new meds for about 7 months. Now I cannot feel my heart beat, sometimes I don't feel like I have a heart at all, I miss my internal thermostat when it was high, lol, in the evening when I read my BP it gets as low as 111/70.
I have never ever in my life had such a low reading. I feel almost doped out. At the doctors office it is fairly low as well considering I suffer from severe white coat syndrome. Also my new Dr says I have a heart murmur, when 3 other doctors in the last 7 months didn't detect any. On my last appointment he didn't really seem to think that there was too much of a hurry to have an echocardiogram (although he wants me to have one, he was less concerned this visit than the last). Somehow I don't think I have a heart murmur, thats what my instinct is telling me. Why do I feel so much better when my BP is high, and when it is lower don't have the same energy. I don't have any side effects from my pills, except drowziness. Thanks

Old 05-09-2001, 09:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Use to having HPB now it is low from meds.

What meds. are U on now, and what were u on before? I always had very low BP until a few months ago when it decided to go all over the joint, from 130/75 to 170/102? Dr. let it go for a month, had me monitor it at home, but readings were still all over. He put me on Altace, first 2.5 mgs. then 5 mgs. I took my monitor into his office to make sure it read about the same as his, and it did. I have the Omron self inflateable one. Now I get crazy readings at home, like 102/68 to 128/78, but when I go to the office I still get 150-160/90? I am taking the monitor back to the office to make sure it is still operating correctly, as this seems too nuts. They call it white coat syndrome, but why all of a sudden after 50 years? When I went to a dr. it was always low before. For the last month I have had very bad back pains and my legs and knees hurt, plus my legs feel like they weigh a ton. I am going to ask the dr. about this, as I am wondering if it is the Altace. Good luck and hope U feel better soon. JJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2001, 10:32 PM   #3

cosmaxton HB User

Your BP sounds like mine all over the place.
Infact one day I went to Dr (first one I went to after 3 years of not taking BP meds)
and it actually went up to 220/140 and he made such a big deal about it, and couldn't believe I didn't have any symptoms. When I went home it was 150/100 (still high but better). I take twice a day 20mg Lotrel,
and once a day guanfacine 2 mg. At the Drs office my BP is usually 130/80, but at home it is low.

Old 05-10-2001, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Did U take yourself off the meds. or did the dr.? Those were pretty high readings, so I certainly can see why he wants U on meds. I didn't have any symptoms either, so I was like totally shocked when he got a reading of 158/102. I told him his machine must be busted, as I always had very normal to low BP. He was shocked also, as his records showed it to never be more than 130/70? Maybe you should ask the dr. about how U feel on the meds. to see if U need an adjustment. I know you don't want to feel lousy with the meds, but I would stay on them rather than have your BP become so high again. Take care, and God bless!! JJ

Old 05-10-2001, 09:17 AM   #5

cosmaxton HB User

I took myself off of the meds. I started early menopause at 35 and went off them when I was 39 because I started to suffer from depression really bad, and I just decided I didn't want to take drugs anymore. I never took a reading in all those years, and only thought about BP every now and again. When I finally on my 40th birthday after family pushing and my husband's nagging I went to Dr and he said I was suffering from severe depression and my BP was elevated to a point he wanted to hospitalize me. I never in my life thought I would suffer from depression because of menopause, but believe me it was like something else was taking over me.
Also I do not trust Doctors at all, they make mistakes just like everyone else. Your doctors BP machine could be faulty. I know those machines are not always accurate at Drs. office. It is the same with those stupid primitive scales, they do not know how to use them properly. When I asked why don't they get electronic scales they said because they are not accurate. I said well according to my chart I lost 40lbs since my last visit lol, because they couldn't properly read it. I sure do miss my family Dr in Australia. Things have probably changed there as well.

Closed Thread