It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2001, 09:10 AM   #1

highclimber44 HB User
white coat syndrome

Hello,im 39,i run or walk 3 to 5 times a week 30 to 40 minutes. I lift wieghts twice a week. I deal with high bp. I take my bp about 5 times a week with readings of 120/78 to 150/90. When a doctor takes my bp it is always high. I can feel it going up before he takes it. My heart starts racing and i feel very nervous. My ? Is i have a job interview which requires a bp test. I need it to be in range but i know i'll be nervous. I'm thinking of taking one of my friends bp pills. Any suggestions? Thanks, highc.44<p>[this message has been edited by highclimber44 (edited 02-13-2001).]

Old 02-13-2001, 09:27 AM   #2

highclimber44 HB User
Re: white coat syndrome

I'm sorry for the double post but i'm new at this. I also eat a healthy low salt diet & take vitamins. Thanks again,& sorry for the double. Highc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2001, 09:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I know you want your BP to be ok, but taking meds. that aren't yours is VERY dangerous. Please just try and relax, but don't take meds. that are not prescribed for you. Also, the meds. don't work over night anyway, you have to be on them for awhile. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2001, 02:12 AM   #4

Speedgal HB User

The previous reply was spot on. Don't think that becuase your BP is high you are at fault. It may be genetic. I am a runner, do weights etc etc but mine has been borderline since I was 18 - I'm now 42. I take half a tablet a day and it drops it like a stone. So instead of being stressed about it, maybe get put on some meds. You may just have chosen the wrong parents! :-)

And if you do go one meds make sure you find one that suits you - don't accept the first one given if it upsets you. There are plenty of options.

Old 02-14-2001, 08:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hate to appear stupid, but what does spot on mean? Your right about it being genetic, as hubby has been borderline, since he was a teen. His father had high BP. Now hubby has been on meds. for over 15 yrs. and doing fine. I always had below to normal until a couple of months ago, when it jumped from my usual 125-130 over 70-80 to 155-170 over 90 to 100. Now I am on meds. for the last 2 weeks and it has come down alot. Dr. said there are plenty of choices out there, so if one don't work, there is always one that will. Good luck!!

Old 02-14-2001, 10:20 AM   #6

highclimber44 HB User

Thank you so much for all your replys. Yes my mom & dad both had high bp. I realy don't want to take meds unless theres no other option. I've heard of so many bad side effects. Are there any without them. It realy stinks when you try to take good care of yourself and end up with bad genetics. {thanks alot mom & dad}

Old 02-14-2001, 12:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was very reluctant to take them also, as I don't do well on meds. of any sort, but taking them is better than having BP too high. I seriously don't think there is any drug, whether prescribed or over the counter that doesn't have a side effect. If U do go on a BP med. just report anything unusual to the dr. till they find the right one for you. Take good care and the best of luck.

Old 02-15-2001, 02:05 AM   #8

Speedgal HB User

Spot on must be an Aussie expression then - it means exactly right!

My docs last word on meds - you shouldn't know you are on them. Hang in there!

Old 02-15-2001, 08:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just asked my girlfriend last night who is from Austrailia, and that is what she told me. LOL Around here we say right on, so I should have figured it out. Next time I will look to see where the post is from. This new dr. of mine is pretty cool about not sticking you on drugs until absolutely necessary. Hate drs. that shove them at you for every little thing. So far the Altace 2.5 has brought the BP down to about 126-133 over 76 to 80, mostly 78, so hope that is good enough for him. Really don't want to go to the next dose if possible. Take care. JJ

Old 02-15-2001, 02:46 PM   #10
Inactive

pert HB User

so many replies,so little time!
wow.ok my theory on this is this:
don't force this issue.
if you are seeing a doctor then let them decide.
if your readings are high most of the time,they may assume it is not just fluctuating bp.
or it may be a temporary period of high stress.
it runs in my family,also;however,my bp fluctuates as to stress.
right now,and my last medical visit(physical)it was normal.
i would worry more if it was incessantly above normal.
it may also be an anxiety condition.
i have to add that i,too,have white coat.
it can be any doctor i go to,but dentists mostly.
i usually work myself up to a pitch before i go in,the calm down.
precipitory anxiety.
its no fun believe me.i've had it since childhood.

Old 02-15-2001, 07:15 PM   #11

highclimber44 HB User

JJ,Speedgal,and all others who replyed to my post I want to say thanks so much for the help. I checked my bp tonight it was 130/80. Maybe I just need to stay away from doctors. Thanks again, HIGHC.

Old 02-15-2001, 07:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Very good!! Now U should check it every day at approximately the same time each day. If it stays within range, then things look good that it might just be that white coat thing. Good luck!!

Closed Thread