It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2001, 10:45 PM   #1
(female)

JS43 HB User
Blood pressure rising - when to panic?

I have had high blood pressure for about a year now. (My dad has it also) I have been on Covera and then we upped it about 5 months ago. I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so exercise is not much of an option. About a week ago I took my BP and it was 160 over 110. It's been about that every time I take it. I finally called my doc today and she raised my BP medicine another dosage. I am now taking 2 doses a day instead of one. I took my extra dosage this afternoon. But I just took my BP and it is 172 over 112. I know that it will take a few days probably for the medicine to start working. But I am wondering what is going on in my body - what destruction is taking place? When should I break down and call my doc again if it doesn't get better? I don't have insurance - so she's really sweet and doesn't run all these tests on me - but is there something I should insist on? How can you tell if your heart is enlarged? How can you tell if your arteries are clogged? Since money is a factor - I usually just don't worry about things - but I am beginning to think I've been sticking my head in the sand too long! Thanks for any input!

Old 05-30-2001, 03:28 AM   #2

Speedgal HB User
Re: Blood pressure rising - when to panic?

You say you have CFS? What's happening about that? Surely its all tied in together. I went down the CFS route a few years ago - ended up taking magnesium supplements for it and it workd really well. Something like that might also help your BP. I think you need a more holistic approach. And don't panic! I reckon if you solved the CFS you'd solve the high BP. Tried a naturopath, looked at your diet, exercise, whatever? Not knowing anything about you I can't comment any more. Feel free to email me offline

------------------
Aileen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2001, 02:30 PM   #3

Rebecca492 HB User
Re: Blood pressure rising - when to panic?

I have had high blood pressure for 16 years and was diagnosed with lupus in 1992. My blood pressure over the years has been controlled at intervals. It seems like each doctor that I have went to over the years will try their "magic sundry of pills" At one time I was taking 15 pills a day for the control of the blood pressure or was it controlling me.?.. This new doctor that I have had for less than two years has tried various medications. Nothing brings the blood pressure under control to her standards. I will start on Covera tonight for the first time. My blood pressure yesterday was 158/118. This is with 160 mg of lasix a day.
I do not think that the lupus is out of control and would be cautious about trying anything without the advice of my physician.
Your phsyician can answer your questions about the enlargement of the heart clogged arteries etc. Practice all your healthly habits--no caffiene, watch your salt, no alcohol, low fat exercise to your tolerance.

If you do not have a blood pressure monitor get one. Take a list of your blood pressure readings in for your physician to review. Additionally, any questions that you have write them down.

I hope I helped some. Please take care.

Closed Thread