It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2001, 11:16 AM   #1

bmmsmith HB User
fluctuating diastolic

I have my BP checked by a coworker who has a cuff. Yesterday, my reading was 120/75, which seemed hard to believe for me but I had recently doubled my Accupril to 20 mg/day so I attributed it to that. It's been several weeks so I would think my body has adjusted.

Today, she's getting 120/90. I was at the doctor's office recently and the diastolic was close to 90.

I didn't the the daistolic should fluctuate that much. Why is that and does that happen to others??? Is she not reading it correctly? Really, it seems pretty easy to do so I would think that, if there were some error in her procedure, it would at least me consistent and I'd always be one way or the other.

Brad

Old 10-13-2001, 06:53 AM   #2

Ken HB User
Re: fluctuating diastolic

The reliable way of taking your blood pressure to monitor it is to take it the same time of day each time you take it.

Usually, blood pressure is a little higher in the morning.

Do not take it immediately after meals since digestion can raise BP slightly.

The reason your diastolic was higher in the doctor's office could have been what is called "White Coat Syndrome". Many people when they visit a doctor or dentist may not be aware of it but their blood pressure increases, usually not more than about 10 points, because they fear subconsciously what might be done to them or what the medical professionals might find.

Ken

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2001, 06:30 AM   #3

lsm2000l HB User

if you have high blood pressure it could fluxuate because of your sodium intake the day before. Mine shot up from 86 to 100 because of a high sodium diet. My new doctor says to keep my sodium intake to 2000 mgs per day. That's really hard because everything seems to be loaded with sodium. Maybe I'll lose weight. I can't eat anything.

Old 10-14-2001, 06:51 AM   #4

bmmsmith HB User

Thanks for the reply. I've lost about 7 lbs in the past two weeks and have been wathcing the sodium as closely as I can. You're right, it seems to be pretty high in most packaged foods so that means that I've had to take over more cooking duties since my wife is in the habit of buying all canned vegies which tend to be high sodium (we've found only a few offered as "low sodium"). Also, she doesn't like seafood so, in my efforts to eat more deep sea fish for my high cholesterol, I've had to start grilling it outdoors just for me. It's difficult to change one person's diet without impacting the whole family, isn't it.

By the way, I'm over my BMI (body mass index) ideal weight by 30 or 40 lbs but I don't think they allow for variances in body type and muscle mass and things like that. I do 20-30 minutes of cardio workout followed by another 30 minutes in the weight room, five times a week so I don't think the BMI weight is realistic for me. The weight I've shed is just from changing my diet since I've been working out all along.

Anybody have thoughts on what a good measure of ideal weight is???

Closed Thread