It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2001, 09:37 PM   #1

JaredJeffriesforprez HB User
16 years old and high blood pressure?

Hi. I was put on atenenol for high blood pressure today after about 14 doctors visits where my B.P. was out of the normal range maybe 6 times (about 150/90)...

Since my first high BP went up, I've gotten into shape (lost 30 pounds in 8 months) and have basically cut down on my salt intake completely, with a few exceptions...But still, my BP has remained slightly high...While I know sometimes those things don't help anyway, I really feel I have this white coat syndrome thing...

My doc points out previous normal readings to suggest I don't have white coat...However, with the knowledge of the fact that my bp might be high when he takes it...and the fact that since I've hit puberty and beyond my anxiety levels for various things have gone up (especially social anxiety)...I still feel I have white coat...My older sibling who's a med student has taken my b.p. at home a few times, and its usually 125/85 or so...

Well anyway, if I have white coat, will the atenenol help? And does anyone know the side effects of this medicine...being a male, my doc said one side effect might be erectile problems...what else? And also, if my BP is normal and I just have white coat, will taking this drug lower my normal BP to an unwanted level? Would it be dangerous...

Lots of questions, need some answers...thanks...

Old 04-09-2001, 10:46 PM   #2

Cyberborg HB User
Re: 16 years old and high blood pressure?

For what it is worth -- my BP readings are always higher when at the doc's. They claim that the home BP meters are not accurate. So what I need to do, and maybe you should do, is to take your BP measuring instrument in with you next time you go to the doc's and do a comparison reading at the same time. That way you will have a starting point for demonstrating your "white coat" elevated BP. Go from there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2001, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hi... I have an Omron home BP machine and took it to the dr. to compare, and it was only a few points off. I also seem to have much lower numbers at home than the dr., but still do get a few high readings. Right now I am on Altace, 5 mgs. Never had high BP in my life, in fact it was always very low? Give the medicine a chance, check you BP at home often and take the machine in to compare it with your drs. Good luck! JJ

Old 04-11-2001, 12:25 PM   #4

dreamer HB User

My readings are high right now and have been border line for years, will this give ma a much higher risk of heart attack?

Old 04-11-2001, 03:58 PM   #5

JaredJeffriesforprez HB User

Not necessarily...Some people just naturally have BP's in the high normal range and are more tolerant to high BP..As in its not very likely to do a lot of damage to the organs...

Closed Thread