It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2001, 09:49 PM   #1

cgreen HB User
30 with highblood pressure and scared stiff

I am a 30 year old woman who just found out that I have high blood pressure. I am very scared: I had a friend to pass away with it years ago at the age of 19. He wasn't overweight like me, but just hard headed and did not take his medication one day and died the next. I know the first step is to get this weight off ane GOD knows that I am going to try, but will everday get better and will I finally stop being freightened?
Does any one know how I feel?, if so please help me with my fears

------------------

Old 08-16-2001, 05:19 AM   #2

dieppe HB User
Re: 30 with highblood pressure and scared stiff

Hard to say how you will progress. Getting better every day is probably going to be a bit of an unrealistic expectation, but getting better isn't. Many, many people have high blood pressure - just look at the number of people who use this bulletin board - and live normally long lives. Just do some research, find out some of the basic things you need to do (taking off weight is a very good start), take your medication if your doctor prescribes it and your bp will go down, although probably slowly. Good folks in here for advice and support when you need it. You should be concerned, as we all are, but you shouldn't be frightened.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2001, 07:20 AM   #3

Ken HB User

As you already know, getting rid of your extra weight is important. Work with your doctor and/or a registered dietitian. However, don't starve yourself, but it is important to know what foods are best for you to help to get rid of the extra weight.

If you are obese, you may be put on a 1,200 calorie diet. Regular exercise is important, but this should first be cleared with your doctor. Remember it is important to stretch all muscle groups just before and just after your exercise session.

Limit salt (sodium) in your diet. Throw away that salt shaker. Read labels and avoid foods with high salt content such as many canned soups, sausage, bacon, pickles, etc. High salt content would be about 1000 mgs per serving. Daily requirement for salt is 2,400 mgs per day. Avoid canned vegetables, use frozen vegetables since they are lower in salt.

Eat 8 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables combined each day. Assume you are not diabetic so there is no concern over controlling your carbohydrate intake.

Ken

------------------

Old 08-17-2001, 07:22 AM   #4

Ken HB User

As you already know, getting rid of your extra weight is important. Work with your doctor and/or a registered dietitian. However, don't starve yourself, but it is important to know what foods are best for you to help to get rid of the extra weight.

If you are obese, you may be put on a 1,200 calorie diet. Regular exercise is important, but this should first be cleared with your doctor. Remember it is important to stretch all muscle groups just before and just after your exercise session.

Limit salt (sodium) in your diet. Throw away that salt shaker. Read labels and avoid foods with high salt content such as many canned soups, sausage, bacon, pickles, etc. High salt content would be about 1000 mgs per serving. Daily requirement for salt is 2,400 mgs per day. Avoid canned vegetables, use frozen vegetables since they are lower in salt.

Eat 8 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables combined each day. Assume you are not diabetic so there is no concern over controlling your carbohydrate intake.

Ken

------------------

Old 08-17-2001, 08:51 AM   #5

cgreen HB User

Ken, thank you for your suggestions and believe me I will take those into consideration . I am going to fight hard to lose this weight, not only for me but for my three beautiful children and husband. I know it is going to be a uphill battle, but I truly abelive this is going to be one that I am going to win. Again, I thank you.

------------------

Old 08-17-2001, 08:58 AM   #6

cgreen HB User

Dieppe, You are so very right. I shouldn't be scared. I have to realize that the most important thing is for me to lose this weight.I have three children and I must do this for them, besides for my health. I will read your message everytime I get scared. Thanks

------------------

Old 08-17-2001, 10:27 PM   #7

Ken HB User

The best thing you can have is a positive attitude in all things. The best of luck to you.

Ken

------------------

Closed Thread