It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2001, 04:51 PM   #1

TiaMaria_Princess HB User
Please help me

Please help me, I'm really worried. My dads just come home and apparently some tests have come through which show his blood pressure is, in the doctors words 'abnormally high', I think possibly in stages 2 or even 3. Also his heart is apparently quite large and he may have kidney problems. However, heres the weird part. He's not overweight, he excersises regularly and loves climbing walking etc etc (apparently this may have contributed to large heart). Although he eats quite a bit of rubbishy foods he also eats a lot of healthy ones like fruit, natural yoghurt and all bran cereal. I wasn't overly concerned until I came on the net and saw all this 'silent killer' stuff. Please can someone explain to me why this is happening and whats going on as I'm getting really worried. Is it curable? Why has he got it when he's so healthy? And it won't really make him that ill will it? He's not going to suddenly have a heart attack is he? He seems so strong.
Please someone respond
Kate

Old 05-24-2001, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Please help me

Kate..I know you are scared silly right now, but try and calm down. There are many folks out there that are extremely active, eat right etc. and still have high BP. I am assuming the dr. put him on some kind of BP meds. to control it, and within a week it should come down, or even sooner. There are many different meds. out there, so if one doesn't work well, they can always give him something else. I know it is so hard to understand why someone who eats right etc. gets these things, but it does happen. I always had very low BP and so did my sister in law, now all off a sudden within the last few months, both of us developed high BP??? We aren't doing anything different, so beats us what went wrong. I bought an Omron self inflateable BP monitor, and keep a record of how it is doing at home, so maybe it would be a good investment for your dad. I'm sure others will respond to your post, so PLEASE, calm down and keep us posted as to how he is doing. God bless....JJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2001, 07:03 PM   #3

cathyhk HB User

Hi!

Seriously, don't worry too much. I too am not the typical high BP patient. I'm 5'8'' eat fairly healthy (but I do love junk food too) and exercise. I don't smoke either. My BP came down with meds and now I'm doing fine. BP is a funny thing, in my opinion. There are many factors that contribute to it rising. Has he thought of having further tests? I saw a cardiologist just to be sure.

Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2001, 09:04 PM   #4

Speedgal HB User

Problems with arteries in the kidneys can be a cause of high BP - this is usually one of the first things that is ruled out. So maybe that's the problem. I believe they can operate and put stents in if necessary, much as they do with the heart.

High BP can also be genetic - mine is. Nothing to do with diet and lifestyle whatsoever.

I am sure his doc will do the right thing and get it under control. His heart will be enlarged from all the extra hard work it's doing - that will change in time.

Closed Thread