It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

Amanda06 HB User
Hot Bath and High Blood Pressure?

Hi:
I love hot-bath once a week for my relaxation. However, for the past weeks that was twice weekends, my heart was a sort of 'beating' or 'racing' to the point I needed lying down on the floor of bathroom to gain my strength. Also, I felt very weak due to this during taking bath. After the bath, I feel completely OK, never feel weak, nor my heart beating 'high.'

In my BP history, ... this summer, in August I went to my GP suspecting that I have High-Blood Pressue issue, due to not feeling well every day. He said that my blood-pressue is very high, 260/80. After one month med. therapy with Lisinopril 20mg. per day, my high-blood pressure went down, .... afterwards, my BP continued to improve, .... 160/70.

Since September, I've been taking Lisinopril/HCTZ 20/25 one and a half tabs per day and feeling OK.

Only my concern is whether hot-bath spikes my BP during taking bath?

Any insights on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Re: Hot Bath and High Blood Pressure?

Your BP is still too high even after meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Normally, hot conditions will lower your BP.... feeling week can be a consequence of that...
Was the bathroom very hot? have you measured your BP during those episodes.

Jesus

The Following User Says Thank You to jeda For This Useful Post:
verwon (10-24-2010)
Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
(female)

verwon HB User

That is correct, BP lowers when your body temperature is raised. I was on some medications that lowered mine too much, it caused a dizzy spell and feeling awful when I took a hot soak.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Thanks all for the responses. I really appreciate your valuable imputs and experience on this.

I was dx'ed with HB in the past, just aggravated in the summper, in August that made me a trip to my GP.

Then, my question, .... why my heart beating so fast whenever I've been taking a VERY hot-bath? As one of the responses, above is this is more related to my underlining High Blood Pressure, although during days, I feel totally healthy and in normal health? In other words, a very hot-bath triggers my High BP? If that's case, should I take two tabs, instead one and a half tabs?

BTW, I know what's like to be 'low-pressure,' .... dizziness and awful feelings, but this is not that type of feelings, .... only I feel my heart beatings very fast that scares me a lot.

Your imputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

I do not think that you should take 2 tabs. Keep in mind that what you describe is a temporary episode that last how much?? 20 minutes?? a second pill will lower your BP for up to 24 hours.

In your case I will measure the BP just when you are having the fast beat... this will give a better picture of whats is going on. My guess is that will not be particularly high.

Another consideration that can increase your HR is water vapor.. if there is too much, every time that you respire, you get much less oxygen in your lungs and therefore the HR has to be increased, and also your respiration rate, to maintain the same level of oxygen in your cells.

Jesus

Closed Thread